Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

$4 to $6 toll with size increase of the HRBT.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Default Re: $4 to $6 toll with size increase of the HRBT.

I don't know why I feel like responding to everything since I don't live there anymore, but I think it was the hour it took me twice to a day for five years to drive 8 miles which still pisses me off.
Originally Posted by marlinspike
What the fuck do we pay taxes out the ass for in this state if we're going to have private companies doing everything and charging us tolls?
When you pay taxes, it doesn't go straight to VDOT, it goes to the state which annually gives VDOT their budget so they can do what they need to do with it(i.e. fuck everything up). This would actually keep the taxes steady as oppose to raising them to completely fund the tunnel.
Originally Posted by Scoutn757
Go to South Florida and ride the turnpike, especially through West Palm in Rush Hour. Traffic keeps scooting with the SunPass. Those that do not have one simply use the right hand lanes cut out on the side..
Exactly. But I couldn't use that example because most haven't been down here.
You don't need more lanes making the same crossing as the MM and the HRBT. The HRBT traffic would be non-existant if people would actually use the MM. Nobody uses the MM because the midtown tunnel sucks. If they want to spend money, they need to expand the midtown tunnel (or just give a new way to get off the MM going into Norfolk). Between the MM and the HRBT there is plenty of road, it's just the choke point of the midtown tunnel screwing it up.
Oh God, yes! I think it was in the playbook to get a new midtown tunnel with 2 lanes each way but VDOT fucked that one up again. Otherwise there would be no reason to spend the time/money to make it so nice coming in from the Suffolk/P-town side; just to get it all shoved into one lane. Plus that tunnel has had surface/wall/flooding/etc.. issues for YEARS now.
Originally Posted by CBR600F4
Again I'll state; 2 lanes ONLY from 564 all the way to the tunnel; where are you gonna put the tolls?
They're going to expand 64 from 564 all the way to the bridges and put the tolls in there. That's what Norfolk's mayor was complaining about, but the way I see it is if you bought a house backed up to any interstate, it's only a matter of time before the city is going to pull eminent domain on you.
The MMBT being out of the way is the military's fault...so you take the blame.

Speaking of which, this is a matter of national security (national security is the reason why we have to have the tunnels, and a lot of the traffic is .mil), so why can't the army build it? It'd be a lot cheaper than paying someone who is trying to make a profit, and the end result would prob be better.
Nope. The United States Military is the fucking king of wasting money. They don't have the knowledge, manpower, equipment, nor experience to efficiently pull off a project of this scale. But if they were appointed to do it they would have to contract out consultants (which tax payers would have to pay for), contract out engineering firms (which tax payers would have to pay for), contract out construction firms (which tax payers would have to pay for) and then to top it off, there would be someone from the Army who doesn't know what they're doing to project manage it all (which tax payers would have to pay for). That's a recipe for disaster, especially the last point. But by getting a third party (like SKANSKA whom is a design/build firm) from the get-go, it'll all be taken care of by people within the industry that know what they're doing and an incentive to come in ahead of schedule and under budget.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by blah
I don't know why
Nope. The United States Military is the fucking king of wasting money. They don't have the knowledge, manpower, equipment, nor experience to efficiently pull off a project of this scale. But if they were appointed to do it they would have to contract out consultants (which tax payers would have to pay for), contract out engineering firms (which tax payers would have to pay for), contract out construction firms (which tax payers would have to pay for) and then to top it off, there would be someone from the Army who doesn't know what they're doing to project manage it all (which tax payers would have to pay for). That's a recipe for disaster, especially the last point. But by getting a third party (like SKANSKA whom is a design/build firm) from the get-go, it'll all be taken care of by people within the industry that know what they're doing and an incentive to come in ahead of schedule and under budget.
I know that's how the Army often does things, but they don't have to. THey do have their own Corps of Engineers, and they have built stuff in the past. I remember looking at some of the pipelines price quotes when we were getting those organized to rebuild in Iraq, and I remember the Army always being cheaper (though not always being told to go ahead and do it themselves and to instead pay a contractor 2x the price).
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

The MMBT being out of the way is the military's fault...so you take the blame.

Speaking of which, this is a matter of national security (national security is the reason why we have to have the tunnels, and a lot of the traffic is .mil), so why can't the army build it? It'd be a lot cheaper than paying someone who is trying to make a profit, and the end result would prob be better.
national security? lolol Do you know how tall a bridge would have to be for a carrier to go under it? The only national security implement for road systems around here is the tunnel for the chesapeake bay IIRC. Disregard this if you meant something else boo.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Mt Dew Amp = Crack

Ordie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond reputeOrdie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
Go to South Florida and ride the turnpike, especially through West Palm in Rush Hour. Traffic keeps scooting with the SunPass. Those that do not have one simply use the right hand lanes cut out on the side..
Would never work here. Idiots/Assholes would be in the left hand lane all the way up to the toll booth trying to cut in front of everyone in the right hand lane backing up traffic cause no one will let them in.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:08 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by TiredAcuraDrvr
national security? lolol Do you know how tall a bridge would have to be for a carrier to go under it? The only national security implement for road systems around here is the tunnel for the chesapeake bay IIRC. Disregard this if you meant something else boo.
My understanding is we get stuck with these bridge-tunnels because the .mil powers that be say if a bridge is bombed it messes up the shipping lane that they need to use apparently.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

so i did some research and did the math for what the Cheasepeake bay bridge tunnel makes and its average is $240,000 A DAY, which is 6,720,000 a month which is 80 million and some chage a year, and the bridge has been open for 20 years which is 1,752,000,000 dollars, where the fuck has all that money gone and why do we need tolls to pay for roads when the bay tunnel has done it for us all
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by TiredAcuraDrvr
You do know a bridge was one of the first concepts for the expansion? It was still going to be a draw bridge, and the tunnel was going to remain. The bridge would have been huge, but it would rarely be affected by the navy or any other large cargo.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
so i did some research and did the math for what the Cheasepeake bay bridge tunnel makes and its average is $240,000 A DAY, which is 6,720,000 a month which is 80 million and some chage a year, and the bridge has been open for 20 years which is 1,752,000,000 dollars, where the fuck has all that money gone and why do we need tolls to pay for roads when the bay tunnel has done it for us all
The only thing I can imagine would be repair work and overall maintenance of the CBBT. The fact of the matter is, VA knows they are raking in money, that is why they were threatening taking it over. It's a shitty situation, but it is what it is.

For those not familar with the 3rd crossing option, take a look at "Candidate Build Alternative 9"

The project is envisioned to carry vehicles, light and heavy passenger rail across Hampton Roads, thereby relieving congestion while improving accessibility, mobility and the movement of goods in the region. Another important benefit is that by carrying rail across Hampton Roads, Southside Virginia is directly connected to the High-speed Rail Corridor via Newport News to Richmond to Washington, D.C.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

The bay bridge is being worked on every day of the year every year, it is so big the routine stuff never ends. Or at least thats what modern marvels said about it, that takes a lot of money for the crews engineers etc. and the state probably takes some money too, VDOT had somewhere between 500-800 million hiding in this year alone. For the expansion I only ever heard of another tube to expand the tunnel lanes.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru kashimiru

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
For those not familar with the 3rd crossing option, take a look at "Candidate Build Alternative 9"

This plan and everyone that support it have always dumbfounded me. why would anyone want to divert traffic from one 2-lane tunnel to another 2-lane tunnel. The MMBT backs up just as easily as the HRBT. Often, one gets backed up as a direct result of the other's troubles already. The biggest downfall of that plan is that it's dreamed up to solve the problems of today or the past few years, and not the future when it would potentially be complete. Before its completed they'd be looking into new ways to relieve traffic from the south side to the peninsula
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

That plan is also about 15 years old because I-264 into VA Beach is still labeled as SR-44 (it switched over in 1995). And at the beginning of the MMBT's life, around 1992, that bridge had zero traffic on it for years. But now... not so much.

Edit: Oh lord. So while trying to find the dates for the above post, I saw that the M&M Tunnel was built for $400 million dollars. How is it humanly possible for widening something that's over a mile shorter cost 10x as much as building 9 miles of interstate (664) and a tunnel from scratch? Why don't we build 8 more M&Ms instead? And that's generously sacrificing two M&Ms, the 90 miles highways and the pre-existing engineering cost to compensate for inflation.

Last edited by blah; 10-04-2010 at 08:41 PM.