Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

The 1 Series has landed at Checkered Flag

Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 AM
No Rep, No Respect..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The 1 Series has landed at Checkered Flag

Originally Posted by BillMW
The 335i vert papers I drew up with Brett totaled $54k...soooo...this is like a discount and I like the One Series so much better. I paid $50k for Celeste and $40k for the 350Z vert.

Gentlemen, as much as you can bitch about how expensive they are, these little beasts are going to fly off the lots. I highly recommend going to see/drive it in person before you're so quick to post in haste. Only then will your opinion have substance. Nevertheless, regardless of what you posted constructive/FAIL, your comments and opinions are appreciated.
I wasn't talking about Convertibles. I was talking about a 135i vs. 335i Coupe. I'm FULLY aware what they are cost. I work for Casey in NN. I've driven them, so my opinion is not based on pictures and magazine articles...

They may sell fairly well, but once the intial novelty has worn off, I think they are gonna be slow sellers...

The car doesn't FAIL, it's a good car that is well done, but it's too expensive.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

I saw a new 1 seres BMW a few weeks ago.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PT2131
I saw a new 1 seres BMW a few weeks ago.
Do you want a cookie? It's not a Ferrari Enzo...
Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

LOL
Old 03-21-2008, 07:04 PM
'08 135i & '00 S4

audiS4_apr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BillMW
Spent some time this afternoon checking out the 1 Series that just arrived a few days ago. Sticker was 42K. The hard top demo they have is Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red Boston Leather. Up close and personal it looks like a pitbull. It has double halo headlights. And yes, it's the 135i Turbo. It's an auto with pedals on the steering wheel, tiptronic on the shifter, or if you just put it to the floor the car will shift for you. I prefer manual, of course...although the response time in the 335i auto was like flicking on a light switch, sort of F1 style. Brett informed the 3 series has HALF the response time as the 1. 18" rims with 6 piston calipers in the front and run flats with no spare. The battery sits in the back; I'd guess it was approximately 15 " long. It also had the wood trim, which I loathe. No navigation either. The sideview mirrors have a switch that turns them inward. I wish my current car had that feature. My friend Nick The Cat and I were waiting for Brett to let us take it for a spin (he was with bitchy time consuming clients) when two girls took it for a spin with another dealer. Great exhaust note when she took off down the Boulevard.
So I'm standing there, when a car carrier pulls in with three soft top Ones....the very first ones to come in. It was like they knew I was there. Unfortunately not one of them were the 135; they were the 128's...and all autos . So the guy operating the carrier went to back one of them over the ruts (look like speed bumps) that hold the cars in place; all of a sudden the back tires started spinning and the car shifted sideways and came within millimeters of hitting the side of the carrier. You should have seen the look on the operator's face. I said to him,"I can't bare to look". He said,"I'm getting stressed out".
With that, I compelled myself to turn around and walk away. The dealership was busy, so we decided to check out the RS4 at Audi Lynnhaven. They had it sitting out back with pollen and shit all over it. The dealer said they just got it in and hadn't had the opportunity to clean it up, and invited us to come back in a couple of days to take it for a spin. That car looks like it's on steroids. V8 madness. Silver with black interior. Outstanding fit and finish. It was sitiing next to a brand new Jaguar XF, and the Audi made the Jag look like a piece of dog shit (which Jags are anyways, IMO).
To conclude my afternoon, I was extremely pleased that the 135i was everything I hoped it would be in person. There's an obvious loss in luggage space as opposed to the 335i, but the styling FAR exceeds the 335i. I will return in a couple of days to take it for a spin, and from driving the 335i I have somewhat of an idea of what to expect. I am thoroughly convinced that if you sum up all the qualities of a car; price, power, styiling, handling, reliability, resale value, etcetera and so on....

The 1 Series takes the cake.

All of this is my humble opinion, of course.

I'm Bill Lewis, and I approve this message.
Yea, I saw it there this past sunday but didn't have time to test drive. I'm 99% sure I'll order one the day after I sell the S4. The 1 series is around 4-5k cheaper than a 3 series with similar options. Yea, you can get the slightly larger 3 series for a few more $$ per month but I actually *want* the smaller car with the same engine. I have absolutely no desire for a 335i.. I'd rather keep the S4.

My question is: WHo will be the first person to buy the dinan chip for the 135i? Checkered flag is a dinan distributor. How about 384hp/421tq? BTW, The first thing I'll do is ditch that 75lb oem AGM battery for a 25lb oddysey.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

They're ugly in person and have a crazy mark up. My ex-gf works at a BMW dealership and let meplay around with a 128 the other day, I was unimpressed. The new M3s however looked a lot better in person. Unfortunately I couldn't get into the coupe or the sedan they had.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by DC/DC
For those wondering about the 1 Series being the "cheap" car, it is the 128i that you're thinking about. They start less than $30k. The 135i is the top end of the 1 Series. BMW always puts the nicer models out first.

Anyway, thanks for the writeup Bill. I'd been considering trading the Scooper for a 135i.
The 128 I looked at yesterday had a sticker of 35k iirc.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Were you driving it around 5:30 tonight? If so, I saw you as you passed Clearfield ave on the blvd.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
go topless.

BillMW has disabled reputation

UPDATE:

Went down today with Nick The Cat and Naughty Neighbor to go for the test drive. The dealership was slow, so Brett was happy to oblige. He recommended we start out with the 128i vert and then segue into the 135i coupe. The vert was the same color combination as the Coupe Demo; Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red Boston Leather. Top down, we were on our way. It wraps you like a glove; feels like it's more of an extension of you, instead of being along for the ride. I first posted the verts didn't have Nav....I was tricked! The screen pops up on the dash as opposed to being right on the console. Ah, enough about the vert.

Wanted to get straight to the 135i. OH...MY....GOD!!!!!!!! Brett took it through the corners of Greenwich Road between Witchduck and Newtown @50mph+ to the point Naughty Neighbor's hands were shaking, and I was gripping onto the door handle with my left hand (I'm in the passenger seat mind you) and my right hand is clenching on the oh shit handle to keep my body in place. The car never once skipped, stuttered, or flinched. My turn to drive...mind you this is with 4 adults in the car; I'm 150, N.N.'s 140 with two silicone airbags, Nick The Cat's 155 and Brett if I had to guess (I didn't ask him) is @250. Soooo....that's more or less 695 pounds of additional weight. The car on a still launch felt as though I was on a horse and whipped it with a crop and screamed, "YAH!!!!!" as loud as I could. It felt as if the car wanted to leap up off the road. Mind you there is about a second lag before the car launches. This is due to a DBW or "drive by wire" electronic throttle. My assumption would be that the reason for the lag is to preserve the auto transmission and prevent a less jerky drive, so basically they neutered the car for a smoother ride. That said, even though it shifted with the tach lowering as instantaneously as blinking your eyes, I would stick with manual. After driving Nick's 2001 E46 M3 6MT the tourque comes on in the 135i in the 1500 range like it was on crack compared to pushing the tach on his M3 to 8000 RPM's to get the same results. It was a welcoming trait to to have the surge of power come on so early as opposed to wringing the shit out of the M3's neck to get the same results. As a result Nick has sold his M3 to get this beast.

Merging on the Interstate from Witchduck heading toward the beach, I started laughing like the Riddler from Batman. I have, to this point, never experienced so much pleasure and enjoyment out of a car than this. Handling, power, overall performance....I was thrilled beyond all of my expectations. When the time comes I will have to most likely build "The Riddler" (135i vert for starters) online as I did Celeste (325ci vert). The dealership will way more than likely get models in that don't suit exactly what I want. It was worth it the last time. I expect the same results. All those who have yet to experience this joyride...go see for yourself. It's been a great afternoon.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM
go topless.

BillMW has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Topik
They're ugly in person and have a crazy mark up. My ex-gf works at a BMW dealership and let meplay around with a 128 the other day, I was unimpressed.
Your first mistake.

Quick Reply: The 1 Series has landed at Checkered Flag