Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Aftermarket Exhausts in VA

Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen
Default Re: Aftermarket Exhausts in VA

Originally Posted by lebaneezy
how would you get a ticket for and intake lol
some intakes increase sound.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by smokescreen
some intakes increase sound.
That may be so but teh section that was quoted specifically says "exhaust". Not saying you cant get a ticket for an intake but the section that was quoted covers the headers and back. You absolutely can not get a ticket for an intake per that provision.

Concerning exhaust, Everything I've read or heard says they can get you for anything deemed "louder than stock" by an officer, which is an awefully subjective measure. I've also heard that cops tend to leave people alone in most areas unless the exhaust is in really bad taste (i.e. a huge fart can on a civic). Trucks and muscle cars are usually safe, higher end Euro and Japanese cars too. Pretty much anything that isn't a shitty looking old Golf, Civic, Neon, etc with a can. You said you have a Z. You're probably safe. I've been driving my Z for 2 years with dual cans and no front plate. Not only do cops not bother me, they wave and ogle the car sometimes. Disclaimer: I don't rev it out or drive like an asshole so that probably helps.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 AM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

Originally Posted by lebaneezy
Usually if your not caught speeding and there just pulling you over for non moving violations , they just run your plates and registration etc.. they just make sure you don't have warrants or whatever and ask if you have any illegal substances or weapons then let you go , but sometimes they'll be assholes and get you
This is how you spot one of those kids that likes to have "meets" in dark parking lots of Burger King.

"sometimes the cops are assholes for doing what they're paid to do. Ya know, giving citations for me breaking the law."

Kindly jam your stepdads dick in your ass, plz.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

When I bought my 240, it had a fart can on it from the previous owner. I got two back to back tickets for it in Roanoke. The second was while I was still in the first's fix it window. I swapped it out for a dual tip magnaflow and haven't had a ticket since then. What annoyed me about both times was I was cruising around 2k RPMs doing the speed limit. But the way I looked at it, I was playing roulette keeping the shitty exhaust on.

A few years ago, I was talking with someone going through police academy for Roanoke County and the issue of exhaust tickets came up. He first said that the guys he was training under were good at picking out loud cars by sound, but when I asked why the straight piped domestics get a pass, his follow up was "We can't see the muffler." So, yes the application of the law is very subjective.

A few times the state legislators have tried to introduce legislation to update the law to match the more common decibel laws found around the nation. SEMA has tried a few times to lobby for better laws as well, but most legislation gets tabled and never revisited.

But, like everyone else said. Don't drive like an asshat, and you're usually ok. Just don't get your panties in a wad when you get pulled.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Summary for aftermarket exhausts:

domestic =
import =

don't make it stupid loud, sound like angry bees, or drive like a retard and you should be fine.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

Originally Posted by Computer_Nerd
Summary for aftermarket exhausts:

domestic =
import =

don't make it stupid loud, sound like angry bees, or drive like a retard and you should be fine.
Precisely. I've had many vehicles with aftermarket exhaust here in Fairfax County, and never once got a ticket for the exhaust. 2 Camaros, 2 Genesis Coupes, a Lancer Ralliart, etc. Ralliart and Camaro exhaust were loud as fuck, no officer even looked.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen smokescreen

off topic, but i posted in the shop thread about a test pipe install. all the shops i've contacted said they don't wanna touch it due to it being an "illegal mod". does anyone know of a reputable shop in hampton/newport news that wouldn't mind doing so?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

off topic, but i posted in the shop thread about a test pipe install. all the shops i've contacted said they don't wanna touch it due to it being an "illegal mod". does anyone know of a reputable shop in hampton/newport news that wouldn't mind doing so?
installing a "test pipe" is illegal since it is removing a catalytic converter (emissions equipment), a HUGE fine for any shop.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

If a shop is caught pulling a catalytic converter system off a car and installing a non-catalytic converter system, they get hit with a HUGE fine (from what I'm told it's $5k up).

Find a buddy with a welder.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

Civic + Integra + 240 + Neon = TICKETS..... Simple as that

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhausts in VA