Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anybody down for some Football?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
DayCrew© Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody down for some Football?

The game, explained as simply as possible

Ultimate is played between two teams of seven players on a large rectangular pitch. A line drawn across the pitch at either end creates two \"endzones\" (like in American Football). These are the goal-scoring areas. A goal is scored when a team completes a pass to a player standing (or more likely running) in the endzone they are attacking.

The Pitch

Players cannot run with the disc. When you get the disc you must come to a stop and try to throw it to another player (a bit like netball). By passing from player to player, the offence attempts to work the disc up the pitch towards the endzone they are attacking. If the disc hits the ground or is intercepted or knocked down by the other team, then the opposition takes possession (a change of possession is called a \"turnover\", like American Football). Possession also changes if a receiver is outside the playing area when he or she catches it.

The defending team attempts to stop the team with the disc from making progress upfield by marking them (as in soccer or basketball). The theory is that the offence won\'t want to pass to a player who is being marked closely, as it\'s likely to result in an interception. So it boils down to the offence players trying to get free of their markers to receive a pass, while the defence makes every effort to stay with them in the hope of forcing a turnover.

Photo
Photo by Jon Hope

Fouls and \"Spirit of the Game\"

Ultimate is essentially non-contact; any contact between players can be declared a foul. There\'s a variety of other minor violations, but that\'s the big one.

Ultimate is unique in that it is refereed by the players themselves, even at World Championship level, according to a code of conduct known as \"the Spirit of the Game\". This places the responsibility for fair play on the players themselves. In that respect, playing Ultimate is a completely different experience to playing other sports. And believe it or not, Ultimate\'s system of self-refereeing works. Beautifully.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
DANGEROUS

REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER REKER

Ill play some flag!

Normally id be 100% down for tackle, but since I play baseball, I cant risk getting hurt on the football field.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
DANGEROUS

We always played Ulimate Frisbee when you had posession of the Frisbee, you could take 2 steps before you had to throw it. Sort of like basketball.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

tackle without pads is just not intelligent. plain and simple.

i'm definitely down to play flag though. set a date and location, and get a rough estimate of turnout. i can get a few more players if need be.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM
DayCrew© Dude

Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by REKER
We always played Ulimate Frisbee when you had posession of the Frisbee, you could take 2 steps before you had to throw it. Sort of like basketball.

When I played we had something like that.. but only to keep you from getting hurt if youre running or flying thru the air and cant stop on a dime.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
DANGEROUS

I might be available Saturday, if yall were trying to do something soon. I know of a few fields on the Southside.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

odc??? off haygood and independence is an amazing field.

if no one's playing softball on it.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by REKER
Yeah, it's hard to stop on a dime when you're high, wearing a tie-die shirt and have your long hair in your eyes. Hippie.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

I'm down for flag.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

No tackle for me, I wouldnt wanna kill somebody.

Quick Reply: Anybody down for some Football?