Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Cables on road

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boriqueño has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cables on road

Originally Posted by Red Bear
Lately, in the virginia beach area, i've noticed black cables running out into the road. many of them are hooked up to boxes that are placed on the medians or on the side. So i have pondered... what are these exactly? Thanks.
Idk how accurate this is,
but i think they are speed reporters. And how fast you get from one to the other line shows how fast u were going.
We were having alot of people speeding around my road in fox hill area, then they put them up and we spread the word to not speed at all over them.
Then like a week later they were all gone.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 AM
SPARKLE.motion

Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky

Originally Posted by Boriqueño
but i think they are speed reporters. And how fast you get from one to the other line shows how fast u were going.
We were having alot of people speeding around my road in fox hill area, then they put them up and we spread the word to not speed at all over them.
WRONG, read through the thread and you might know a thing or two.

edit: HAHAHA! i guess some one got real mad at me saying this lol, Thanks for the neg rep who ever you are

Last edited by Hicky; 09-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So how do they know how long your wheelbase is? I don't think you thought this through all the way..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-06-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

There's 2 cables always paralell.

Once can't measure axles?

I believe they're for speed.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

CrJenkins13 is on a distinguished road

Lol, the guy that actually makes them posted in here...I'll be going with his word on this one.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin
There's 2 cables always paralell.

Once can't measure axles?

I believe they're for speed.
I think there's two so they can tell which direction the vehicle is moving. Obviously there can be big differences in the amount of traffic going in one direction than the other, especially at certain times of day.

I see single cables like that all the time, not always pairs. Sometimes there are pairs but one of the cables only goes across one lane instead of both. It's impossible to measure differential speed with one cable, so they can't be used to measure speed. Sometimes I see the cables a foot apart, sometimes many feet apart. How you would measure differential speed without calibrating the distance between the cables, I don't know.

Besides, the answer was already posted.

Edit: It looks like the piezo cables can do both counting and speed measurement (in pairs obviously), and the pneumatic cables are often only used for counting. So the answer is, they do both.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-06-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Racetracks

Unless there was a camera or something like that attached, why would you worry about it? If it was only for a week, that sounds like a run of the mill traffic survey.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
registered derp

lolololol has disabled reputation

i wonder if they have the same effect as an electric fence if you piss on one.......