Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

emmissions/registration question

Old 09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
last place winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speeddemon22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emmissions/registration question

hey i just moved from NOVA to norfolk for college (ODU). my car is currently registered in nova, and it passed safety but failed emissions (no cat lol). however i just got a cat installed today, and the guys at the shop were asking why, since there are no emissions inspections here. im really confused what to do, since my license plate tags are now expired and according to nova law i need to pass emissions to get new plates. so my question is...are theyre emissions inspections in norfolk? or if not can i get new plates without the inspection since im currently not living in NOVA ?

Last edited by speeddemon22; 09-06-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Hodo has disabled reputation
Default Re: emmissions/registration question

Hmm.....

I think because you are a full time student you maybe able to get a waiver your inspection and let a station down here inspect it. As long as it passes a inspection down here they should let you renew your tags.

But I am not sure on that I will try and find out more tomarrow.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

spaceMONKEY spaceMONKEY

you could just register your car down here, since its expired. thats what i eventually did. Emissions testing is no fun.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

there is no grace period or anything on inspection stickers . . they don't even care if your in the military and in another state and come back you still have to have an inspection . . you do have to have a cat . . .down here they do not do the sniffer test but most places look for them to be installed . . . knowing not if they are full or empty . .

edit: unless it didn't come with a cat . . for example pre 77 trucks, 78 trucks over 6000 lbs and 79's and up for a few years over 8000lbs . . . old stuff . . like my truck

Last edited by ChevyMudtruck; 09-06-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Hodo has disabled reputation

yea your pretty much stuck... I talked to several of our state inspectors and I looked it up in our books. If your car failed a emissions test and was placed in the computer system as a failed emissions test then you need to go back to a county that does a emissions test and have your car retested.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Dan1356 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which I think starts just north of Richmond.
Good thing we have enough clean air here for everybody.
LOL
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 PM
last place winner

speeddemon22 is an unknown quantity at this point

ohh man that sucks, i was hopin id be able to register it here and avoid the test completely. oh well i got the cat on now so i should be good to go...looks like i got a long drive on expired tags ahead of me lol...thanks for the help guys
Old 09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts

Why don't you register your car down there since you live there now for school. That is what I do with my brother's cars, they don't pass in Nova, but there is no emissions here. If you need to you can go to the DMV and get a new sticker for 30 days so you will be able to get home and get it to pass.