Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

I need a career. Stat.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22
Default Re: I need a career. Stat.

To be honest, I did my resume in like 10 minutes and it was horrible. But then again, I'm looking to start an apprenticeship, not looking for a job higher up, so they're probably not looking for the same things.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz killasoundz

Originally Posted by da1yohan
Anyone have any recommendations on which crafts aren't that bad from the apprentice school?

1. Dimensional Control Technician
2. Electrician
3. Electrician Maintenance
4. Heating & Air Conditioning
5. Heavy Metal Fabricator
6. Machinist
7. Millwright
8. Non-Destructive Tester (NDT)
9. Outside Machinist
10. Painter-Insulator
11. Pipefitter & Pipefitter Maintenance
12. Rigger
13. Sheet Metal Worker
14. Shipfitter
15. Welder
16. Welding Equipment Repairer

None of the crafts are bad if you are interested in what they do.

If you actually want to learn something i wouldnt recommend painter insulator.

All the other stuff is good.

NDT and Dimensional Control are pretty much set in stone as to the path you will go during your apprenticeship.

Any other trade you can go a different way if you decide you dont like the waterfront as long as you maintain go grades in school and from your supervisers. Attendance and reputation are the most important things.

I love being an apprentice. Some people hate it and find every opportunity to complain.

If I had to make a list of the top trades (IMO) it would go like this:

1. Outside Machinist
2. Millwright
3. Machinist
4. Dimensional Control Technician
5. Pipefitter (shipboard)
6. Rigger
7. Electrician
8. Shipfitter
9. Heavy Metal Fabricator
10. Welder
11. Heating & Air Conditioning
12. Non-Destructive Tester (NDT)
13. Welding Equipment Repairer
14. Sheet Metal Worker
15. Pipefitter (Maintenance)
16. Electrician Maintenance
17. Painter-Insulator
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

My top 3 were Outside Machinist (now Marine Machinery Mechanic), Inside Machinist, and Electrician.

I was hired as Industrial Equipment Mechanic. I accepted as I've been told that if I dont like it, its easier to move laterally in the company once your foot is in the door then it is to get in.

*edit* apparently Industrial Equipment Mechanic is the new term for Millwright.

Last edited by shawn22; 04-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Originally Posted by madsteez
Wait are you making 100k a year working for a beer company? I know they pay well my friend was a stocker and made 12 an hour starting.
Corporate. I'm sure there is PLENTY more money to be made in that company.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Zoom Zoom

Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky

Well someone help me write a new one. I am beating my head on a wall at NG. I applied constantly, get interviewed constantly, and rejected instantly. I know I am doing something wrong.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:38 PM

PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri PyAri

Originally Posted by Kaedenky
Someone clue me in on how NNSY works. I posted to the open announcement everytime a new one comes up and I hear nada. I meet all the qualifications, but something is definately not working.
If you aren't certified as eligible (you don't qualify) then you won't hear anything. I'm assuming you applied under either USAJOBS or DONHR CHART?
If so, the best way to keep track of jobs you've applied for and their status is to go to MY STATUS under your account and it will list exactly what's happened to your application for those jobs. Whether you've been tracked, found ineligible/the reason or you were certified as qualified.

Originally Posted by audiS4_apr
Probably because the government hiring system sucks. You need to have tons of key words in your resume. A standard resume that you would use for most jobs doesn't have enough key words in it for government hiring.
+1. I work in the servicing center in NNSY that does all the recruiting for civil service positions (WG/GS/NSPS) for NNSY, Quantico, Camp Lejeune, Cherry Point, etc.

The key is to make sure you:

A) Apply to every single job you're interested in, whether it's the continuous DON inventory for the series or the individual announcement. Also, list your eligibility and every single grade you are willing to accept. If you don't apply/don't list the grades/your appt eligibility you don't get considered.

B) List everything in your resume. The way they pull resumes is conducting searches on the series of the job, grade, appointment eligibility and key skills words that the hiring activity has requested. If those skills aren't in your resume your SOL because those skills become your score and determine how you are ranked among other candidates.

EDIT: It's really a lot to type out. If you need any help with tweaking your resume, checking on status of your application for certain jobs or even some basic advice on govt. jobs feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited by PyAri; 04-29-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Kaedenky
Well someone help me write a new one. I am beating my head on a wall at NG. I applied constantly, get interviewed constantly, and rejected instantly. I know I am doing something wrong.
No resume is going to help you if you can't interview worth a fuck. If you can't get a job at the shipyard, you're a real piece of shit.

I've interviewed people with a great paper resume that didn't get hired because they interviewed horrible.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I am the way.

Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula

Originally Posted by madsteez
Wait are you making 100k a year working for a beer company? I know they pay well my friend was a stocker and made 12 an hour starting.

Anywho i plan to just get a steady job with a large company and at the same time get my associates in criminal justice. Hopefully i can make the kind of money half the people on this board do. If not i always think i will have more fun
My father works for AB, been there for over 25 years. He tried to get me in a while back, but it never worked out.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Boner Jams

-Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal

I'm trying to start training here soon and get MCSE and Cisco certifications. I also need to wrap up a few more credits and ill have my associates in business management as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
No resume is going to help you if you can't interview worth a fuck. If you can't get a job at the shipyard, you're a real piece of shit.

I've interviewed people with a great paper resume that didn't get hired because they interviewed horrible.
Fuck.
Luckily I can rely heavily on my good looks.

Last edited by Flinch; 04-29-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: I need a career. Stat.