Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

I need a career. Stat.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 AM
cb7tuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93accordse is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need a career. Stat.

I don't post much here, but I just completed my Apprenticeship at NGNN, they hire every month, whoever told you they hire once or twice a year is mis-informed. They have rolling applications, it just might take 3+ monthes to get in.

Starting rate is decent for no experience, here is the wages scale:
http://www.apprenticeschool.com/rate_schedule.html
starting at $11.85, in sept. that jumps up to $12.33, in 4 years you'll end at most likely $23+ an hr. and as an apprentice school grad you can move into a salary position very easily. Not bad considering if you don't go thru the Apprentice School it would take you 20+ years to make top-rate as an hourly.

My last day was yesterday and i've already been hired into a salary position at 43k a year, not bad considering i'm 23 and had no prior experience.

you can go here to apply online : http://www.apprenticeschool.com/admissions.html

If you shoot me a PM and are interested in going into the Sheetmetal dept. I can most likely pull some strings and get your app. processed quicker. Heres a complete list of the depts. :http://www.apprenticeschool.com/programs.html

good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

Originally Posted by blaxican25
I think some of the problem is that people don't want to pay their dues.

They don't want to work 3-5 years at a low level pay.

They don't want to get an education.

They don't want to work shitty entry-level schedules.

It's not a fantasy world. Without a degree or military experience, it's quite rare to just walk into a 9-5, 35k a year job unless you want to do commissioned sales.
Ehh these are my biggest problems. I am impatient. I always need to accelerate my pay. 9-5 isn't my need at all. I can do 55 hours a week with random hours with no complaints. I just want to get paid what I feel I am worth. For example, I work with managers that do a lot of the same worj as me and they make almost double. Their bonuses are nearly 3-4 times larger too. I am lucky if I get some sort of extra pay at all. The only difference is they have more experience than me. That's what I need though... experience.

I have been trying to suck it up for awhile.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:17 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Originally Posted by '93accordse
I don't post much here, but I just completed my Apprenticeship at NGNN, they hire every month, whoever told you they hire once or twice a year is mis-informed. They have rolling applications, it just might take 3+ monthes to get in.

Starting rate is decent for no experience, here is the wages scale:
http://www.apprenticeschool.com/rate_schedule.html
starting at $11.85, in sept. that jumps up to $12.33, in 4 years you'll end at most likely $23+ an hr. and as an apprentice school grad you can move into a salary position very easily. Not bad considering if you don't go thru the Apprentice School it would take you 20+ years to make top-rate as an hourly.

My last day was yesterday and i've already been hired into a salary position at 43k a year, not bad considering i'm 23 and had no prior experience.

you can go here to apply online : http://www.apprenticeschool.com/admissions.html

If you shoot me a PM and are interested in going into the Sheetmetal dept. I can most likely pull some strings and get your app. processed quicker. Heres a complete list of the depts. :http://www.apprenticeschool.com/programs.html

good luck in whatever you decide.
ill pm you when I get off work. I'm on my treo right now so its a pain in the ass
Old 06-02-2007, 02:23 PM
PieceOfShitRedneck

BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
Are you talking about the Norfolk Naval shipyard in Portsmouth, or the Shipyard in Newport News?

To be honest, I've heard nothing but bad stuff about the one in Newport News, and this is by people who work there and people who work at the Norfolk Naval shipyard.

But right now I'm really up for just about anything.

So I've been on the Northrup Grummand website, and I'm kind of weary about putting in an app now because of "Applicants must also request that their high school or equivalent and any post-secondary schools forward official transcripts to: "

I kinda stopped going to TCC for the last semester (probably 6 credits worth) because of work and other things going on, so I probably got bad grades in those classes. If I apply, I hope that doesnt kill my chances

newport news. it does pretty much suck if youre there as a yardbird. but from what the people in the apprentice school tell me, its 100% different once you get in the apprentice program.

i have good transcripts from vcu, but i went to thomas nelson for a semester and it was pretty much a train wreck, so were in the same boat when it comes to that. but you can take night classes at the yard for free and i think theres something where they'll reimburse you for classes at thomas nelson if theyre in youre field and you need them for the apprentics program.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

M1KeyC is a jewel in the roughM1KeyC is a jewel in the roughM1KeyC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by WillSol
Air Force
agree'd they sent me to England on my first base so... I enjoy it. AF FTW
Old 06-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Shawn, you know everything I've told you about Norfolk Naval. They'll be starting the hiring process in a few months. Starting pay will be over $12/hour I'm sure.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris

Originally Posted by eluam
Shawn how about law enforcement? My friend was talking to a Chief Deputy in the VB Sheriff's dept and he said they are looking at hiring 17 new recruits, but are only expecting to find 10. My friend's putting in his application now.
All cities are in desperate need for officers. I know for a fact Va Beach, Chesapeake, and Norfolk are in need for officers. Va beach pays the most, and norfolk pays the less. Norfolk has more action than va beach / ches.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

Well I hate my job. I work retarded hours, I work all weekend long and i'm not making enough money to be working all weekend long.

I'm 23 years old, I worked for Cox Communications as a tech for a year (cable, limited phone experience), and now I work for Alltel in Tech Support.

I really want to get in apprenticeship type deal (I would try the shipyard, but they only hire once a year and I didnt apply last year like I should have), preferably in something that will allow me to go pretty much anywhere and make a job. I've been really looking for an electrician's or electronics type apprenticeship or even entry level job that'll teach me what to do, but I'm not set on that provided its something I can build a future out of.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dont say go back to school, because i'm not going to. I hate school, and school hates me. Now if its classes I need to take for an apprenticeship, I can do that. But i'm not going to school full time.
Shipyard is your best bet, IMO. I have also never heard of them hiring once every year, although im not in the apprenticeship. The apprentice school is a great place if you plan on staying at the shipyard. The school doesn't do much for you outside of the shipyard - however, if you went through the apprenticeship and stay at NGNN, they will treat you fairly.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26 AM
PieceOfShitRedneck

BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
Shipyard is your best bet, IMO. I have also never heard of them hiring once every year, although im not in the apprenticeship. The apprentice school is a great place if you plan on staying at the shipyard. The school doesn't do much for you outside of the shipyard - however, if you went through the apprenticeship and stay at NGNN, they will treat you fairly.

yes it does. once you finish and you get those journeyman's papers, you can go anywhere in the country and you will get hired first over anyone who dosent have those qual's
Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Thig Digged

ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq

Originally Posted by crxtreme
yes it does. once you finish and you get those journeyman's papers, you can go anywhere in the country and you will get hired first over anyone who dosent have those qual's
It depends on which track you take. For instance, their engineering program isnt ABET accredited, good luck landing an engineering job outside the yard without an ABET engineering degree

Quick Reply: I need a career. Stat.