Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

I need a career. Stat.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 AM
'08 135i & '00 S4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audiS4_apr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need a career. Stat.

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
So I've been on the Northrup Grummand website, and I'm kind of weary about putting in an app now because of "Applicants must also request that their high school or equivalent and any post-secondary schools forward official transcripts to: "

I kinda stopped going to TCC for the last semester (probably 6 credits worth) because of work and other things going on, so I probably got bad grades in those classes. If I apply, I hope that doesnt kill my chances
We need more good, smart and hard working people at norfolk naval shipyard.. We have very good people who are damn good but also have people who could care less and take absolutely no pride in their work. Please don't apply unless you're ready to learn from the older guys getting ready to retire and take pride in your work.. in whatever trade you decide on.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Originally Posted by audiS4_apr
We need more good, smart and hard working people at norfolk naval shipyard.. We have very good people who are damn good but also have people who could care less and take absolutely no pride in their work. Please don't apply unless you're ready to learn from the older guys getting ready to retire and take pride in your work.. in whatever trade you decide on.
Oh I take pride in what I do, and I'm VERY hardworking. I learn quick, and I'm looking long term, not short term. I have had too many short term jobs and I'm tired of getting other ones.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM
squad up!!!

To0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud ofTo0C0oL has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by XCELR8
What ever you pursue, make it something you enjoy.
Thats not all true..

I use to enjoy working on cars..

After 5-6 yers of it, I hate the site of most cars..
Old 06-03-2007, 12:22 PM
PieceOfShitRedneck

BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco

Originally Posted by ThsPoq
It depends on which track you take. For instance, their engineering program isnt ABET accredited, good luck landing an engineering job outside the yard without an ABET engineering degree

yea i gotcha. i was talking about the tradesmen... electrician, machinist, welder, etc
Old 06-03-2007, 12:28 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

Find something you enjoy that can be made profitable and start teaching it to yourself, lie on a few resumes, get your foot in the door, and move to Florida, where no matter what you'll make 15-20k more than in VA.

That's my story, and why I've now got 5-6 years of sys/net engineering experience and the lowest paying job you could find with my qualifications is 60k. Unfortunately I'm no CCIE so I'm underqualified for the 110k+ jobs, and have too little experience in the business end of IT to take major project management/Director positions.

But I'm 22, as long as I don't let myself get lazy again I'll knock out the CCIE in a year and be happy.

I definitely did my time in the shitty technical support jobs, but I did them at 18-19, moved up pretty quickly.

Last edited by flow fx; 06-03-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Thig Digged

ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq

Originally Posted by crxtreme
yea i gotcha. i was talking about the tradesmen... electrician, machinist, welder, etc
Understood. In that case, we're both correct
Old 06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

Originally Posted by crxtreme
I will agree with that. Some of the tradesmen at the shipyard are just plain badass at their jobs; They could easily make a monopoly of themselves somewhere.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
PieceOfShitRedneck

BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco BrokenBronco

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
I will agree with that. Some of the tradesmen at the shipyard are just plain badass at their jobs; They could easily make a monopoly of themselves somewhere.

oh definitely. im an electrician, and our lead mechanic is a fuickin whiz, but she's still at the shipyard making the shitty union progression hourly wage just like the guy who doesnt do shit. i don't get it.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:26 PM
'08 135i & '00 S4

audiS4_apr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flo w fx
Find something you enjoy that can be made profitable and start teaching it to yourself, lie on a few resumes, get your foot in the door, and move to Florida, where no matter what you'll make 15-20k more than in VA.

That's my story, and why I've now got 5-6 years of sys/net engineering experience and the lowest paying job you could find with my qualifications is 60k. Unfortunately I'm no CCIE so I'm underqualified for the 110k+ jobs, and have too little experience in the business end of IT to take major project management/Director positions.

But I'm 22, as long as I don't let myself get lazy again I'll knock out the CCIE in a year and be happy.

I definitely did my time in the shitty technical support jobs, but I did them at 18-19, moved up pretty quickly.
I didn't know what ccie was so I did a quick google. It looks pretty involved.
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...ion_exams.html
Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by Black Z-24
Shipyard is your best bet, IMO. I have also never heard of them hiring once every year, although im not in the apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship program at Norfolk Naval Shipyard only hires once a year. The application process starts in October and the actual start date wouldn't be until around July/August.

Quick Reply: I need a career. Stat.