Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

IT Jobs in 757

Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris Laris
Default Re: IT Jobs in 757

Originally Posted by kayballz
well as of now i dont have any IT experience I am a senior about to graduate in 2 semesters and im looking for some entry level or maybe and internship or coop right now cause i really do need the experience
Thats what I'm saying...Even if you have to work for someone small, like a local computer store, best buy, circuit city as a computer guy. Its the building block for your experience. I was lucky enough to get an internship with Panasonic Corp. After my internship ended I went to a local computer shop for about a 1 1/2 then I applied for a job with Empire Machinery as a Network Administrator. You need something as a building block for a employer to believe that you know what you are doing.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

kayballz has disabled reputation

I have acutally been looking even with those stores that you have mentioned and i have came up with nothing most of the time it was that they wasnt hiring
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Laris
If I were you I would get experience in a shop even if its a small computer store. You need the background for an employer to trust you know the information.
Exactly. Start with a help desk position or something even, just a foot in the door. Don't think that type of work is below you. Go in with a mindset of a sponge. Absorb everything around you and learn whatever is there to learn. Show you are worth a shit and people will give you a chance.

See about getting on a contract or something as well to start. Newly awarded contracts have quotas to fill and usually call for a certain number of junior techs that know little to nothing so they can be trained to do that certain job.

If you are in school still, like Laris said, look to get an internship somewhere. Even if you don't get paid, you get the experience. And it shows your future employer you were willing to learn without being compensated for it.

Don't be afraid to apply for jobs requiring experience. You'd be amazed how many places will hire people based on a great interview, regardless if they fit the requirements. Get out and get used to it to being interviewed.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Love the Lord

USMCMotorT USMCMotorT USMCMotorT USMCMotorT USMCMotorT

Originally Posted by Laris
What experience do you have, and what type of degree?

I have a Computer Information Science degree majoring in IT/Network Security. The only experience I have is the classes I taken, and 135 hours of internship at my command in the IT department. And I have a secret clearance pending.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Exactly. Start with a help desk position or something even, just a foot in the door. Don't think that type of work is below you. Go in with a mindset of a sponge. Absorb everything around you and learn whatever is there to learn. Show you are worth a shit and people will give you a chance.

See about getting on a contract or something as well to start. Newly awarded contracts have quotas to fill and usually call for a certain number of junior techs that know little to nothing so they can be trained to do that certain job.

If you are in school still, like Laris said, look to get an internship somewhere. Even if you don't get paid, you get the experience. And it shows your future employer you were willing to learn without being compensated for it.

Don't be afraid to apply for jobs requiring experience. You'd be amazed how many places will hire people based on a great interview, regardless if they fit the requirements. Get out and get used to it to being interviewed.
Yeah, free internships can be found. I was lucky enough to have a paid one. The jobs are you there...you just need to get rid of the mindset. I can get a better job than that...For you starting in the computer world you better take what you can get!

Last edited by Laris; 01-09-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by USMCMotorT
I have a Computer Information Science degree majoring in IT/Network Security. The only experience I have is the classes I taken, and 135 hours of internship at my command in the IT department. And I have a secret clearance pending.
What was your gpa in college? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

does anyone know of any companies that are starting to look interns or coops cause this is usually when companies start looking for summer interns
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

well it just dropped as i am sorry to say but now i have a 2.7 cummulative and a 3.01 in my major but it should be up by the end of this semester
Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Makin Moves

Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311 Murphyd311

Military = Good experience and security clearance = Golden.

I recommend the AF, but I'm biased.....
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

timeout

i never said that he shouldnt get a job, i just said that he shouldnt drop out of school.

I def agree that he needs some OTJ experience, but you also need some KNOWLEDGE. Now he's already 75% done, so why would it be smart to drop out?

I work for Innovations in Transportations in Chesapeake, as an EE.

Quick Reply: IT Jobs in 757