Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Local CAD Drafting Companies?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM
we PARTYIN!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local CAD Drafting Companies?

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Oh you are in VB, nvm.
haha thanks anyway.

Originally Posted by banned_user
depends on the type of cad...we talking circuits or tools/parts? If its parts you can take cad drawings up to abacus racing in vb and have them cut you a custom part from a solid peice of extruded alum. if its circuits, only places I know are inet-based and require minimum unit # orders.

btw fuck ee version of autocad, kicad forever
I'm talkin' more of mechanical 3d models, wireframes, surface models, or even the structural side of it which I've been doing a lot of lately. For example, floor plans, wall sections, elevations so on and so forth.

Originally Posted by Miguelangelo
Contact these companies

Northrop Grumman Newport News
Amsec LLC
Delphinus Engineering
Gibs and Cox
Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Clark Nexsen
that's what I'm talkin' about. I'll check these out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
+1. what type of CAD can you do? mechanical? arch? How about you try craigslist, monster, careerbuilder, hamptonroads.com?
Mechanical/Structural.. haven't tried those because I thought indeed.com was better.. I'll check those out.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 PM
static air

Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas

Originally Posted by Miguelangelo
Contact these companies

Northrop Grumman Newport News
Amsec LLC
Delphinus Engineering
Gibs and Cox
Norfolk Naval Shipyard
Clark Nexsen
Thats a good list

My dad worked for Amsec and Norfolk Naval. Right now he is the manager at Bath Iron Works in Norfolk, and I know they were looking for drafters a couple of months ago.

Also, check out CDI Marine in Portsmouth and AGI (Architectural Graphics Incorp.) in Virginia Beach.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

1ns0mniac, i hear you. I've ran a drafting department for a year designing mechanical parts, electrical schematics, and all sorts of other diagrams last year for a company in NoVA. Many of them were big projects for the govt and govt contractors. I would say that would make an impressive resume for someone who is still in college, but i've yet to hear from any of the drafting positions i've applied for this summer. I'm now about to get paid half as much as i used to go work part time at Advance Auto Parts... Simply put, 757 sucks! jk... But really, you might have the edge due to the fact that your willing to work full time. It took me about two months to find my previous job, so just keep looking and don't let any opportunities pass you by.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
we PARTYIN!

1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute1ns0mniac has a reputation beyond repute

thanks silver.. I am determined to get a job doing this. I won't settle for less..

veearesix - thanks I will definately check those out also right this second.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

just realize that the is like NO bump in position in this field. Iv been doing this for over 5yrs and im still a Draftsman/associate designer/junior designer. Iv applied at many places and all they want is CAD operators, and they want those CAD operators to stick with that position for a long time.

I make $17.50 at Amsec, when I was at NGNN i was makeing roughly $16.00, and I just reciently applied to Clark Nexsen and theyre willing to pay me $18.25......but thats with shittier benefits and O/T. I dont know what ima do. If I leave Amsec i lose my ship service years. so ....

Last edited by Daft Punk; 06-09-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

in the work field, you have to climb and fight for yourself. If your good at what your doing, a company will want to keep you right where you are because your efficient. Thats what i've learned when I was CADing: they won't give you hand outs unless you go for it.

For drafting for over 5 years, I think you are being under paid Miguelangelo. I hate being a CAD monkey, but I know a few that make nearly as much as a level I engineer.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by Silverbullet86
For drafting for over 5 years, I think you are being under paid Miguelangelo. I hate being a CAD monkey, but I know a few that make nearly as much as a level I engineer.
I hear you. Being a CAD monkey is fine at first but after time you realize that you have the same or equal credentials as a senior designer, because by that time your doing their work so much faster. I have a co-worker here that is a Designer maker $45,000. Im just tired of cheap pay, so this week ima approach my boss with my other job offer even though im not taking it, and telling him i want more money and or a promo.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

landmark design group.

its where I work doing cadd, im located williamsburg, but the main office is in va beach.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
we PARTYIN!

I just applied at Clark Nexsen online. It's better to apply in person am I not correct? They find it more professional right? Or have you guys actually gotten calls back from applying online.

zappas - I'll check them out tonight. I believe I have heard of them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Applying online is fine.

Quick Reply: Local CAD Drafting Companies?