Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Mauy Thai Info

Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
--------------

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff
Default Re: Mauy Thai Info

I train at Knuckle Up in kitty hawk, NC. They specialize in MMA/judo aswell.

My only question is why you are interested in only Muay Thai or MMA and not Judo.

You say you are interested in a career in law enforcement. Theres not gonna be a "stand-up" fight with a suspect, you have guns and shit for that. You need ground control and submission work on your side if something were to go sour on duty.

You vs. suspect

he swings, you duck, shoot take him down if no ones with you, throw in a little armbar get a cuff on and work it from there.

or just stick your gun in his face til back up arrives.

id go with the latter but its still good to train to have it on your side and get in shape.

ive heard good things about both hybrid and lynxx
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

The best advice I can give is to go to a school that specializes in one thing for the best instruction you can get. I would highly suggest if you want skills in self-defense that you don't do jiu-jitsu or muay thai.

Jiu-jitsu and muay thai teach you how to fight, not defend yourself. In a real life situation you're not going to want to go down to the ground, and you're going to want to end it as fast as you can.

Jiu-jitsu will get you killed in the street as most of the take-down aspects originally linked to judo have been taken out, but if you want to shoot in on a guy and arm-bar him while his buddies stomp on you then be my guest. As far as Muay Thai/Boxing goes it teaches you standup fighting that prolongs a fight.

It takes one good punch to knock someone out, but if you go in looking for that knockout hit and you don't get it then you're not going to know what to do.

If you want to look into arts for defending yourself then I would highly suggest in something along the lines of krav maga, kenpo, hapkido, or similar arts. Krav Maga and Kenpo would be the best bet though as it relies on basic instincts and moves that aren't too complicated to apply almost immediately. Sure, Krav Maga and Kenpo are shit for MMA, but that's because of the ruleset. There is no such thing as rules on the street.

I think what you should ask yourself is if you want to learn to defend yourself or if you want to learn to fight. Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu, and Boxing don't take multiple attackers into consideration, where krav maga and kenpo will teach you how to circle out after you disable an opponent in order to confront someone else.

I edited it to say that I don't think that muay thai and jiu-jitsu are useless in the street as it does give the person a specific advantage over their attacker. I'm just saying that it's better to focus on something that wasn't derived for sport or turned into a sport unless it is Judo or Sambo. I've met boxers and kickboxers who got so used to training with gloves that they didn't pay attention when they got into an altercation or even an mma event and ended up breaking their hands.

[youtube]VXNroQ1-dWs[/youtube]

Last edited by pasty; 05-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

that video is awesome. the second one he made is pretty funny too
Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 AM
Registered member

critt003 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the info Pasty, im going to look into those other things u mentioned and see if theres any local places that have lessons in those and go from there. I mean to some extent im a little worried about self defense but at the same time i have never been in any kinda of fight really, i like to think of myself as a nice guy i dont go around talking shit and tryin to start fights or anything so i mean im not really worried about getting jumped or anything although it could happen some day. I guess in all honesty the reason i thought about this is because my friend said something about going to judo classes and invited me to go along so i started looking into the stuff. It all looked interesting and like i said in the first post there is never a wrong time to learn something new ya know. I can see where judo would b better in law enforcement that makes sense. I guess ill keep researching before i make my final decision on what would b best for me and i believe at hybrid and at lynxx u have to go in for an evaluation and all that before hand anyways so they would probably have some incite into what would be best or what have you.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

LAOTL has a spectacular aura aboutLAOTL has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pasty

Jiu-jitsu will get you killed in the street as most of the take-down aspects originally linked to judo have been taken out
I think you have that bacwards. Judo is a sporting form of Jiu-jitsu. The killing techniques were taken out for Judo. However, if you are refering to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu then, yes that is a sporting form also adapted from traditional Japaneses Jiu-jitsu.

As far as what style...pick the you like the best and whats suits your body style. If you are a big guy, then you probably would not like a style with a lot of jumping kicks like Tae Kwon Do. But Muay Thai will really give you a work out. i trained years ago with Frank Cucci, when he first got out of the SEAL Teams. I think LINNX is what his school is called now. He was an excellent teacher and KNOWS HIS SHIT. But it has been about 15 years since I trained with him.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered member

critt003 has disabled reputation

Yea im a large guy and wanted something for a workout and figured it would help for defense and later on when i enter law enforcement.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Arm
WTF is Photoshop!?

Arm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the rough

Lynxx is awesome, get into BJJ while you're there.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Originally Posted by LAOTL
I think you have that bacwards. Judo is a sporting form of Jiu-jitsu. The killing techniques were taken out for Judo. However, if you are refering to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu then, yes that is a sporting form also adapted from traditional Japaneses Jiu-jitsu.

As far as what style...pick the you like the best and whats suits your body style. If you are a big guy, then you probably would not like a style with a lot of jumping kicks like Tae Kwon Do. But Muay Thai will really give you a work out. i trained years ago with Frank Cucci, when he first got out of the SEAL Teams. I think LINNX is what his school is called now. He was an excellent teacher and KNOWS HIS SHIT. But it has been about 15 years since I trained with him.
I was referring to BJJ. Judo is a consolidated form of different styles of jujutsu that focuses on the principles of efficiency and reserving energy. In Japan there were so many forms of jujutsu with so many people teaching so many different things that it was hard to sift through it. I mean you had Daito ryu, aiki-jujitsu, goshin-jutsu, and much more. The only things that were really taken out Jujutsu were the small joint locks and many wrist throws that accompanied them (which found their way into Aikido) and the use of weapons.

Jigoro Kano kept the self-defense techniques which are called the atemi-waza, the chokes, and larger joint locks. Judo is still a very efficient form of self-defense because if you get in clinching range and are able to throw someone on the concrete that doesn't know how to breakfall it will cause some pretty extensive damage.

When Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu came out it was mainly a self-defense thing, but evolved solely into sport and dropped many of it's original judo techniques that Maeda passed onto helio and carlos gracie. Anyways, watch this video to see BJJ before it was ruined.

Also, to the original poster, stay away from Linxx unless you don't mind contracts and paying upwards of 170 dollars a month.

Last edited by pasty; 05-22-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

I started Muay Thai around 2 1/2 years ago, and man, it was one of the best decisions of my life. I really didn't know anything about it, and I had been bodybuilding for about a year straight -- so I went in pretty big for my size (bulked from 120lbs to 160lbs), but with no cardio whatsoever.

The workout destroyed me, 3 days a week, 3 hours a day.

I loved every second of it.

Took a break when I relocated to TX, starting up again next month. One of the things I really look for when I look for an MMA gym is one that a: is popular, b: has a weightlifting/gym center/floor. If you're going to pay $130/mo to get your ass kicked, it's really nice to drop your 24 hour fitness membership and just workout at the gym in your school.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LAOTL

Did you train when they were on VB blvd by the bug shop? I probably knew you. I was going there when Mateo, Wasea, and Nasaur started. Frank is an awesome guy and he has Guru Dan come in and hold seminars alot. Thats a man you want to meet.

Im surprised some of you think Thai boxing isnt useful in the street, not many can take a powerful leg kick, knee, or elbow and still stand. Kali and Muay Thai FTW.