Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need a Domestic Mechanic

Old 09-15-2006 | 08:04 AM
Registered Member

VA Hustler has disabled reputation
Question Need a Domestic Mechanic

Quick question here, I checked out the sticky for shops but they handled mostly Imports. I have some minor work I need done to my Chevy Impala with the cooling fans and misfiring and unfortunately I'm not the most repair-savvy when it comes to cars and I don't want to get taken for a ride. So if anyone knows of a good domestic shop where they won't tell me stuff that needs to be fixed that actually doesn't please fill me in because I'm trying to get this taken car of as soon as possible. Thanks for any help!!

Heavy Chevys
Old 09-15-2006 | 08:11 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: Need a Domestic Mechanic

do you have a check engine light on?
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:52 PM
Registered Member

VA Hustler has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
do you have a check engine light on?
Yeah it comes and goes when it starts to misfire but will go off after a while. When I pull the codes is reads that cylinder 3 is misfiring. The plugs and such have been changed, but something else is causing it to keep doing whether or not they plugs and wires are new or not. It's pretty frustrating.
Old 09-15-2006 | 03:00 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by VA Hustler
Yeah it comes and goes when it starts to misfire but will go off after a while. When I pull the codes is reads that cylinder 3 is misfiring. The plugs and such have been changed, but something else is causing it to keep doing whether or not they plugs and wires are new or not. It's pretty frustrating.
Is it coil on plug or does it have a distributor? If it has a distributor, try replacing the cap and rotor button, if they're coil on plug, you probably have a bad/dirty coil.
Old 09-15-2006 | 03:28 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is a 3.8 its not a coil on plug.. It has 3 coil packs.. Its either the coil packs or the ignition modular ( the plate that the coil packs pug into).. I have coil packs at my house for the 3.8 if you want to swing by tonight or tomorrow and swap out the coil pack that is used for the cylinder 3.. If it stops missfireing then thats the problem, if it dont then you will have to go to advance and get a ignition modular.. they are 150.00..

Last edited by 1998Silverbird; 09-15-2006 at 03:30 PM.