Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need help.. stranded

Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aksnowbrder has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need help.. stranded

Summary... my engine bay grounds are all good, main relay ground is good, still only getting 2.8 volts to the fuel pump fuse and not sure why.. 0 volts to fuel pump itself.

What I cant figure out is how the ecu plays into this. All the wiring diagrams I can find say that the fuel pump wiring goes battery - fuse - relay - pump. Where does the ecu come in?

Last edited by aksnowbrder; 12-10-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

ANY help is appreciated.. I'm so stumped and I need this car to be working asap
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're getting 2V at the fuse, find out why. I suspect this is directly related to why you're also cranking slowly. You probably have a broken battery cable clamp, corroded ground, or something along those lines. Basically if you're getting 2V at that fuse, keep tracing back to the battery until you're getting proper battery voltage. If I'm correct, this is going to be something that affects more than just the fuel pump circuit.

If it's cranking a lot faster when jumped to another car, that would tend to say that you're bypassing the factory power and ground and using power from the other car, which would make the starter motor circuit work fine. The other circuits could easily still be affected by whatever is causing the actual problem though, such as a bad ground.
Im in agreement here. I just had to replace my GFs moms battery because the cold weather killed the cells in it after she let it sit for almost a week. It had barely enough juice for accessories MUCH LESS cold cranking starting, and would have to be jumped to get anywhere.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Delbanner
Im in agreement here. I just had to replace my GFs moms battery because the cold weather killed the cells in it after she let it sit for almost a week. It had barely enough juice for accessories MUCH LESS cold cranking starting, and would have to be jumped to get anywhere.
She had a bad/damaged battery and the cold weather just made the symptoms worse. Cold doesn't damage a battery, it just slows down the chemical reaction that creates the electricity.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by aksnowbrder
Summary... my engine bay grounds are all good, main relay ground is good, still only getting 2.8 volts to the fuel pump fuse and not sure why.. 0 volts to fuel pump itself.

What I cant figure out is how the ecu plays into this. All the wiring diagrams I can find say that the fuel pump wiring goes battery - fuse - relay - pump. Where does the ecu come in?
The ECU controls the fuel pump relay usually.

You should check voltage at the inputs and outputs of all the relevant fuses in the fusebox under the hood. It still doesn't sound like you've started at the fuel pump fuse and traced backwards toward the battery. Also, just replacing the main relay doesn't mean that the relay is actually working properly.

If you have 12V on the input to the fuel pump relay, you can probably assume that the relay is bad or that the relay isn't getting turned on by the ECU. If you have 2V on the input to the fuel pump relay, go upstream (toward the battery) and find the next point to check for voltage.

A vehicle electrical system is a like a tree. The battery is the tree trunk, and everything branches out from there into multiple circuits and then subcircuits, etc.. So if you don't get power at the tips of the branches, start tracing back toward the trunk.

So let's explore this a little more..
How did you check if the grounds are all good? Are you just assuming that they're good because they're bolted down properly, and you haven't checked if they're restricting power flow? I don't want to second guess everything you're doing; I want to make sure that everyone is communicating properly.

Stop crossing your fingers and randomly replacing stuff until you actually see if things are working or not.

I'm not trying to go on a rant here but it gets really frustrating when people replace things instead of diagnosing them. That's the most expensive, time wasting thing you can possibly do when trying to fix a car. So far you've unnecessarily replaced a fuel pump and a main relay without checking if they're working or not.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-11-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by ocd
Rule out a fuel issue. The main relays are notorious for going out in temperature extremes (cold and hot).
Virginia doesn't have extreme cold. Has it even been below 20 degrees there this year?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The ECU controls the fuel pump relay usually.

You should check voltage at the inputs and outputs of all the relevant fuses in the fusebox under the hood. It still doesn't sound like you've started at the fuel pump fuse and traced backwards toward the battery. Also, just replacing the main relay doesn't mean that the relay is actually working properly.

If you have 12V on the input to the fuel pump relay, you can probably assume that the relay is bad or that the relay isn't getting turned on by the ECU. If you have 2V on the input to the fuel pump relay, go upstream (toward the battery) and find the next point to check for voltage.

A vehicle electrical system is a like a tree. The battery is the tree trunk, and everything branches out from there into multiple circuits and then subcircuits, etc.. So if you don't get power at the tips of the branches, start tracing back toward the trunk.

So let's explore this a little more..
How did you check if the grounds are all good? Are you just assuming that they're good because they're bolted down properly, and you haven't checked if they're restricting power flow? I don't want to second guess everything you're doing; I want to make sure that everyone is communicating properly.

Stop crossing your fingers and randomly replacing stuff until you actually see if things are working or not.

I'm not trying to go on a rant here but it gets really frustrating when people replace things instead of diagnosing them. That's the most expensive, time wasting thing you can possibly do when trying to fix a car. So far you've unnecessarily replaced a fuel pump and a main relay without checking if they're working or not.
I understand your point. I checked my grounds with a multimeter, checked to make sure I got 12v when holding the multimeter to both the positive terminal and both sides of each ground. I did trace power back from the fuel pump, I get 0v at the pump, 2.8v at the relay, and 2.8v at the fuse itself. All underhood fuses have proper voltage.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

CPS gives signal to the ecu...if bad...it won't send fuel or spark to the car..
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by SortaFlush
CPS gives signal to the ecu...if bad...it won't send fuel or spark to the car..
It will also trigger a CEL, which there is none. Most crank position sensor problems aren't detected until the engine starts rotating unless the sensor is missing or there is a major fault on the sensor input. A CPS problem doesn't explain the 2V at the fuse either, because a functional fuel pump circuit with a functional relay will show 0V at the output of the relay, not 2V. A properly functioning relay is either on or off, it's not sitting at 2V on the output.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by aksnowbrder
I understand your point. I checked my grounds with a multimeter, checked to make sure I got 12v when holding the multimeter to both the positive terminal and both sides of each ground. I did trace power back from the fuel pump, I get 0v at the pump, 2.8v at the relay, and 2.8v at the fuse itself. All underhood fuses have proper voltage.
Ok, that's good info. So if the underhood fuses have proper voltage, and the relay and fuse are at 2.8V, the problem is in the middle. I can't remember whether the fuse is on the relay input or the relay output, but either way there is a problem that should be able to be traced back to the underhood fuse box. Make sure you're checking the output of the underhood fuses and not just the input, because one of the fuses could be partially failed.

Quick Reply: Need help.. stranded