Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need a Job

Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricer Rob has disabled reputation
Default Need a Job

Well just in time for Christmas my boss feels that I am no longer needed due to slow business and I get laid off with almost no warning. Anyway just need a job paying somewhere around $9-$11 an hour, I'm not picky on the type of job. I'm 21, have mechanical experience and am currently in school for computer networking finishing up my associates.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Bustadust can only hope to improve
Default Re: Need a Job

every tuesday teletech off of butler farm rd right next to thomas nelson has a job fair..pretty much sprint customer service. they start off at 9.75..must be able to work their hours tho.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

File for unemployment.. duh.

Make all the fuckers on here paying taxes fill your wallet with money.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

Originally Posted by B20B-T
Well just in time for Christmas my boss feels that I am no longer needed due to slow business and I get laid off with almost no warning. Anyway just need a job paying somewhere around $9-$11 an hour, I'm not picky on the type of job. I'm 21, have mechanical experience and am currently in school for computer networking finishing up my associates.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
If you are trying to get into computers, get a helpdesk job with one of the local government contracting companies... will probably pay more then $11 an hour and get you work experience. Just my .02 cents
Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Originally Posted by Blue2turbo
If you are trying to get into computers, get a helpdesk job with one of the local government contracting companies... will probably pay more then $11 an hour and get you work experience. Just my .02 cents
anyone know any good websites/places to go to apply to one of these?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Zoom Zoom

Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky

https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/

http://www.usajobs.gov/

Those are for GS jobs.

You can also look at local contractors.

EG&G, Raytheon, NG, AMSEC, WRSYSTEMS, Just a few off the top of my head.

Also look at internships, alot of entry level positions are only available to currently degree seeking people.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

Originally Posted by Kaedenky
https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/

http://www.usajobs.gov/

Those are for GS jobs.

You can also look at local contractors.

EG&G, Raytheon, NG, AMSEC, WRSYSTEMS, Just a few off the top of my head.

Also look at internships, alot of entry level positions are only available to currently degree seeking people.
While these are good sites... if you don't have a clearance... you might as well look elsewhere. As far as DONHR for GS jobs.. in this area as well as most, it's not about what you know, what your technical skills are, its allllll about WHO you know. How do I know this because I was extremely close to landing a GS11 position in Norfolk with the USMC, I was the best "qualified" candidate that applied for the position, plus I had veterans preference, hell I was working for the the USMC at the time, why didn't I get it?? because an E-9 decided to retire, figured he wanted the position and was pretty much just given it... even though in the last 5+ years he had done NOTHING technical, just parade planning and retirement ceremonies... its bull shit.

Originally Posted by B20B-T
anyone know any good websites/places to go to apply to one of these?
The best site to get contractors to call you is monster.com, Dice.com, and careerbuilder.com. Hell if you really want, I can PM you my companies contact information and let them know I directed you to them. They are out of NoVA, but I have worked for them for almost a year now... in that time frame I went from Tier 2 Local field services, to Tier 3 Remote Access work... so it's not hard to do. Hell get on the helpdesk for 6 months to a year and you can move up the ladder fairly quickly... I don't have a degree or any certs, I am working off 4 years USMC experience and 1 year contracting... as long as you can learn quick and you aren't a rock... you'll be all set.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

P.S. (I am not assuming that you are doing this, just forewarning you) Dont just send out your resumes on Monster.com or careerbuilder.com, becuase your resume just goes into a big stack of emails that almost no one looks at.

I applied for three months through monster and careerbuilder and never got any calls back (and i have an impressive resume btw), but the first time I looked at the jobs on hamptonroads.com, and called the phone number to actually talk to someone, they offered me that job immediately.

just my 2cents.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
P.S. (I am not assuming that you are doing this, just forewarning you) Dont just send out your resumes on Monster.com or careerbuilder.com, becuase your resume just goes into a big stack of emails that almost no one looks at.

I applied for three months through monster and careerbuilder and never got any calls back (and i have an impressive resume btw), but the first time I looked at the jobs on hamptonroads.com, and called the phone number to actually talk to someone, they offered me that job immediately.

just my 2cents.
+1, applying generally doesn't help you that much through any of those sites... basically your only chance on those sites is that you can make your resume very attractive and have employers contact you... that is how I have gotten both of my jobs since I got out of the USMC, they emailed me offers... hell I got a ton of offers, but had to sort through the weeds to find one that was willing to pay what I wanted.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1

just my 2cents.
figure, lol. the majority of the positions i have been applying for have been on careerbuilder.. and have only heard back from a couple recruiting companies that were just a waste of my time. thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Need a Job