Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need oil pan tapped.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Need oil pan tapped.

Originally Posted by Twelvz
or keep you from the wrong direction, Virginia speed fucked my friends up, and his shit was off the car at the time
more than once...
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough

Bring the pan to a machine shop.

Performance Unlimited in Norfolk did mine.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

If its a steel pan I will do it for a minimal charge and weld your fitting on.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 AM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by mnchvgs79
If its a steel pan I will do it for a minimal charge and weld your fitting on.
that's the way you wanna go if you can...have someone weld it on...then you won't have to worry about leaks.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean

he said that its aluminum, how much more difficult does that make it?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Keepin it Klean
he said that its aluminum, how much more difficult does that make it?
ah, I guess I didnt read very closely. I am assuming it is cast aluminum, since its an oil pan, which means it can only be welded using a certain welding process and that process is VERY INVOLVED. To weld cast you have to heat it completely with a torch, then you have to weld it and then slowly cool it also using a torch.

I would say your best bet would be to go to a place like Hampton Rubber and tell them what you need to do, they may have a fitting that you can screw through the pan and put a nut on the other side and has some sort of o-ring seal.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:26 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by gyl
whatever you do...do not drill the pan with it on the car still unless you want metal shavings in your oil...punch the hole with a air hammer and a specialized bit then tap it,put the fitting in it and rtv the sucker.that's how i have done the dozen or so cars i have done.as for being straight,and lined up...it's only gravity fed return style line...get it close and it will be fine.

ok this guy scares me. cutting threads with a tap will leave shit in your oil pan just as much as a drill bit. steel pans have to be welded, they are not thick enough to tap threads into. alu pans can be tapped or welded. take off the pan, machine/weld as necessary clean it up throughly and reinstall it

if you need anything like this done in the future hit me up. personally i machine down a -10 AN fitting slide it into a hole i have drilled in the pan and tig weld it all together so it looks nice when its all done. once the pans done a nice piece of -10 braided hose and a fitting for the turbo side makes a super clean, ultra reliable turbo or s/c oil return.

p.s. dont forget to mark your pan before removal. and mark it HIGH above the oil level
Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by kawgomoo
ok this guy scares me. cutting threads with a tap will leave shit in your oil pan just as much as a drill bit. steel pans have to be welded, they are not thick enough to tap threads into. alu pans can be tapped or welded.
as i have stated...if you punch a hole in the pan the excess metal goes inward making it think enough to tap threads in a steel pan...i have done it at least a dozen times.but i will agree with you there is no substitute for welding the fitting on the pan,it is the best way to get it done.

and as for tapping vs drilling....with drilling you can get long slivers of metal that will not come out when you change the oil after you perform a job like this...when you tap the pan tho,all the small shavings get drained with the oil.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 PM
teamULTRASPEED

C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312 C45P312

yes, aluminum is def different from steel. now you see why it's so hard for me to take care of this. the fittings and lines have been provided to me as per my vortech kit.

ill try mellinium i guess ... then performance unlimited
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by C45P312
yes, aluminum is def different from steel. now you see why it's so hard for me to take care of this. the fittings and lines have been provided to me as per my vortech kit.

ill try mellinium i guess ... then performance unlimited

this shit is easy man. you can get AN fittings in either steel or alu. i have a tig machine and know how to use it so if you want hit me up and ill get er done for ya. my setup is also mobile, so i can come to you if need be.

Quick Reply: Need oil pan tapped.