Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need Opinions on Top Level Paint/Body Shops Please...

Old 05-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Opinions on Top Level Paint/Body Shops Please...

Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely be in touch to see what you can do. I have to talk to my insurance company to see if I can take the car wherever I want, or if they make me use certain shops.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by NDISGII
Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely be in touch to see what you can do. I have to talk to my insurance company to see if I can take the car wherever I want, or if they make me use certain shops.
if your in the state of virginia you can choose whoever youd like. Your insurance company will have a preffered shop list. But you can refuse to use that shop and they cant do anything about it, in virginia you make the choice as too which bodyshop to use. We deal with all insurance carriers on a regular basis.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM

NDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond reputeNDISGII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
if your in the state of virginia you can choose whoever youd like. Your insurance company will have a preffered shop list. But you can refuse to use that shop and they cant do anything about it, in virginia you make the choice as too which bodyshop to use. We deal with all insurance carriers on a regular basis.
That is fantastic news to hear. I hope this is the case and they dont give me any trouble about it. I have State Farm, and they have been good to me so far with my house anyways...lol...I wont be going in to see them until this Friday. I think the problem I am going to run into is the fact that all the damage is on fiberglass (its a widebody kit). I dont know if they will notice that or care about it or not. I mean the fender is supposed to be metal after all, not figerglass. And I think they actually have custom parts covergage, but I dont remember, and if they do, I dont have it. That might screw me here. Hows that work?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i have state farm as well, my wife was involved in an accident. Called insurance, told them the shop i want to use, cause i was fixing it. They said"thats not on our preferred list". I said, so, I can choose whoever id like. Next day the adjuster was at the shop and it all went smooth from there. Usually when it comes to custom parts you might have to fight with them a bit but its normally covered, if someone had hit you than it would definitely be paid to be fixed by the liable partys insurance. Since thats not the case and you hit something you may have to fight with them to get what you want, simply dont settle if they say no were not fixing that. But you never know you may get a really cool adjuster and it might not be a problem at all. Youll have to come to the shop and we would also need to write an estimate. If its close to the asjusters estimate than its fine, if its way out in left field than wed have to give the adjuster a call and talk with him, or write a supplement if there not worried about it.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i have state farm as well, my wife was involved in an accident. Called insurance, told them the shop i want to use, cause i was fixing it. They said"thats not on our preferred list". I said, so, I can choose whoever id like. Next day the adjuster was at the shop and it all went smooth from there. Usually when it comes to custom parts you might have to fight with them a bit but its normally covered, if someone had hit you than it would definitely be paid to be fixed by the liable partys insurance. Since thats not the case and you hit something you may have to fight with them to get what you want, simply dont settle if they say no were not fixing that. But you never know you may get a really cool adjuster and it might not be a problem at all. Youll have to come to the shop and we would also need to write an estimate. If its close to the asjusters estimate than its fine, if its way out in left field than wed have to give the adjuster a call and talk with him, or write a supplement if there not worried about it.
OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess. I am sure I'll get screwed somehow...lol...I cant remember if State Farm offers a custom parts coverage or not. Do you happen to know if they do? Should I get an estimate from you before talking to State Farm or after? Thanks!
Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 AM
Registered member

supraBoy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NDISGII
OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess. I am sure I'll get screwed somehow...lol...I cant remember if State Farm offers a custom parts coverage or not. Do you happen to know if they do? Should I get an estimate from you before talking to State Farm or after? Thanks!
Dont worry i worked insurance for a big company for 5 years and like ricky so excellently put it, in the state of VA you will have the choice to a shop and parts used. No to cut costs, most insurances will use aftermarket parts and preferred shops, but you have the choice to have all OEM replacement parts and the shop you choose, but you will need to state that as they do not advertise that.

On another note, i am a repeat customer to SoM and all the employees can vouch for that, they do excellent work, and to me im not saying that there isnt a better place out there, but this place is in my books the friendliest, most convenient and one of the highest quality establishments in the 757.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

miahmouse is an unknown quantity at this point

One advantage of going to a preferred shops list is that its on the shop and the insurance company to make everything to your satisfaction. You don't have to worry about added costs or going over your rental allowance if the shop takes too long. That and the work is warrantied forever with most companies.

another thing to keep in mind with most of the shops out there is that the people that made it good a few years ago may no longer be there (or the ones that made it bad). So unless it was a recent fix or someone knows the shop and its people personally, the rant or rave may no longer be valid.

Auto Elite - Been there more times than I like to think about... The paint is always near perfect and I'm a picky bastard when it comes to paint. Bodywork seems to be hit or miss (between good and really good) depending on who worked on the car. Some of the fine details seem to go forgotten but for your purposes there isn't anything to be forgotten(screw here or there... rubber whatever misplaced). Super friendly and they stand behind their work. ~8mo ago... same people there though

Phillips collision center - I have nothing good to say here. They painted half the car and the front bumper with a glittery silver rather than metallic silver and thought nothing of it. Took getting the adjuster out to the shop to look at the car and tell them the must re-do it. Ended up re-aligning the fender and bumper myself cause I was tired of dealing with them. ~3years ago
Old 05-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Registered Member

miahmouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by supraBoy
No to cut costs, most insurances will use aftermarket parts and preferred shops, but you have the choice to have all OEM replacement parts and the shop you choose, but you will need to state that as they do not advertise that.
This depends entirely on your policy... some of them will state that used good condition or aftermarket parts are acceptable... there isn't a state law against this...
Old 05-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Registered member

supraBoy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by miahmouse
This depends entirely on your policy... some of them will state that used good condition or aftermarket parts are acceptable... there isn't a state law against this...
That is correct, i am not denying it, Like i said to cut cost they will use OEM matched aftermarket parts to replace damages, as long as the aftermarkets match the factory specs and are standardized they are allowed to use those parts. But like i said the insurance company can not refuse the choice of the policy holder to use OEM or Factory parts, most companies will work with the Policy holder when the option of OEM is chosen. Worse case is that you will have to pay the difference for Aftermarket repair cost and OEM repair cost, but usually they are OK using OEM when you ask.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 AM

Keep the contact list coming everyone, its much appreciated. I want to remind everyone that I have aftermarket fiberglass fenders front and rear, as its a widebody kit. I think the rears just cover the original metal fenders, but the fronts completely replaced the metal fenders, and that is where the damage is. So I dont know if thats gonna create a problem for me or not with the adjusters? Same for the front chin spoiler? Am I gonna have a problem with this? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on Top Level Paint/Body Shops Please...