Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need saltwater tank help

Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入
Default Re: Need saltwater tank help

Seems a bit small for 14G. A Feather Duster requires something like 20G at medium to full size. Some of your algae growth could be from fecal matter perhaps. IMO at least 20-30G would be optimal for your amount of fish.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
misunderstood.

s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin

I know for a salt water fish tank you must let the water sit for a week or two before allowing fish to enter. Also, I've heard you need to have someone clean and maintain it weekly if you don't want to do it yourself. A salt water tank is a lot harder to take care of than fresh water.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

Originally Posted by s2katin
I know for a salt water fish tank you must let the water sit for a week or two before allowing fish to enter. Also, I've heard you need to have someone clean and maintain it weekly if you don't want to do it yourself. A salt water tank is a lot harder to take care of than fresh water.
Such is true! However to alleviate constant cleaning a good purification setup is NECESSARY! Bio-Wheel makes some of the best products when it comes to tank maintenance and purification IMO, and they are very affordable. if you don't have one, then go get one. Your local Pet-Smart should have them.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

iguanagti has disabled reputation

If you have bio balls get rid of them and put carbon or a fuge in the center chamber I only have one fish and a bunch of snails and they keep my tank pretty clean Although my tank is a display/ grow rank so alge isn't to big of a deal mine is just holding my frags until my display is done. Buy premixed water If you have a source on that side which maybe able to help you. Imop you don't have enough cleaners in your tank which is vital to such a small setup. Partial weekley water changes will help.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

go to www.hrrc.us and ask them. but no one will be able to help you unless you have your water tested. I have had my reef tank for a year so I'm still new and don't feel comfortable giving others advice.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
cubs 4 life

boostedgst97 has disabled reputation

if anybody has aptasia i suggest the peppermint shrimp took care of all mine in one night
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

HYJAXX has disabled reputation

Okay...here's your fix. You need to do a 50% water change. Then once that's done, change a 1/4 of that. Then you need to change your light cycle if it's on any longer than 8 hours. I have 2 400w halides and 4 96w power compacts over a 110gal...I use a 7 hr light cycle and change bulbs every 8mnths for the halides and every 9-10 for the PC's. If lowering the amount of time your lights are on doesn't fix it and you refuse to go out and buy a tester to check your nitrate level (food for algae) then you need new lights. I run a 100% filter-less tank with a protein skimmer and a lot of powerheads. Filtration doesn't cause algae, improper lighting and lack of timely water changes does.
Oh, and you need one snail and one hermit crab (I suggest blue legs- the reds and zebras are territorial and kill each other) for each gallon.

Last edited by HYJAXX; 07-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM
cubs 4 life

boostedgst97 has disabled reputation

i had my water tested my nitrites nitrates and ph were all good. My phosphates were high and salinity was high but everything else was good
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 AM
nothin2tucknstillTDB

shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed

Then you're probably getting slime algae. Lighting is usually the cause.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Esp
Registered Member

Esp has disabled reputation

if your using regular tap water that can contribute to the algae, either buy water from the store or get a reverse osmosis filter for your sink.