Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

? for Northrop Grumman/Shipyard workers

Old 12-30-2008 | 08:47 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: ? for Northrop Grumman/Shipyard workers

I work at the shipyard. im in the 3rd semester at the A-school.

Its a very well paying job, and alot of advancement.

There are no other steady jobs with this much advancement around here, unless you own your own business.

i reccommend you applying to the shipyard, or the apprentice school depending on your grades in highschool.

www.apprenticeschool.com
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:50 AM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Originally Posted by dorko
I work at the shipyard. im in the 3rd semester at the A-school.

Its a very well paying job, and alot of advancement.

There are no other steady jobs with this much advancement around here, unless you own your own business.

i reccommend you applying to the shipyard, or the apprentice school depending on your grades in highschool.

www.apprenticeschool.com
I might be seeing you there. When do you actually get to start? They are letting me start without the training right now for my first co-op. I start on the 12th.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:51 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Apprentice Program
Design Trainee Program
Co-Op Design Program (Drafting and design, also a Engineering program within this)

All of those are great ways to start a career in the Naval Ship industry. I did the Co-Op program, Paid for my Associates Degree.

like said before, it all depends on where you work within the Massive Shipyard that will determine if you like it or not. I hated where i worked, too many people in one department = lots of politics, lots of BS and seniority BS.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:54 AM
HNIC

Originally Posted by Miguelangelo
Apprentice Program
Design Trainee Program
Co-Op Design Program (Drafting and design, also a Engineering program within this)

All of those are great ways to start a career in the Naval Ship industry. I did the Co-Op program, Paid for my Associates Degree.

like said before, it all depends on where you work within the Massive Shipyard that will determine if you like it or not.
When you say engineering what do you mean? You can go for your AS in Engineering yes but they stopped the Engineering Co-op. The design co-op program is 2 years of school with 2 semesters of on job training, which would still require him to work a different job while in reg school. Why i didn't mention it earlier.

You can do more also than just drafting and design. I am going into O68 (dimensional control) which has nothing to do with design yet i'm still a "design co-op".
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:56 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by 07civicSI
When you say engineering what do you mean? You can go for your AS in Engineering yes but they stopped the Engineering Co-op. The design co-op program is 2 years of school with 2 semesters of on job training, which would still require him to work a different job while in reg school. Why i didn't mention it earlier.

You can do more also than just drafting and design. I am going into O68 (dimensional control) which has nothing to do with design yet i'm still a "design co-op".
True, The engineering one is " Test Engineering", they dont pay for it up front like the Associates one does, but its through ODU, talk to Mr.Garlow about it.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Treat has disabled reputation

Where do you guys work at I am in building 902 right now doing a design rotation.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:58 AM
HNIC

Originally Posted by Miguelangelo
True, The engineering one is " Test Engineering", they dont pay for it up front like the Associates one does, but its through ODU, talk to Mr.Garlow about it.
O it doesn't matter for me. I am getting my AS in engineering now then finishing up at ODU for my Mech Engineering degree, but i have never heard of the "Test Engineering".

All i knew was they had some sort of Engineering program that they had to stop because the department they were going to got too full.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:59 AM
HNIC

Originally Posted by Treat
Where do you guys work at I am in building 902 right now doing a design rotation.
When i start ill be in building 1745 in the yard ( if i remember that number correct from summer)

What department are you in?
Old 12-30-2008 | 09:01 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Those programs Fill up all the time, its hit or miss, there is no guarantee by applying that you'll get in, but theyre such nice programs that you cant pass it up.

I worked in 903, Nuclear Piping Design.

Now i work for AMSEC LLC. who is owned by NG. Im in Habitability Design now.
Old 12-30-2008 | 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Treat has disabled reputation

I'm in E23 electrical. But will go back to welding in june.

Quick Reply: ? for Northrop Grumman/Shipyard workers