Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

ODU and VCU being sued by RIAA

Old 02-14-2005, 03:50 PM
~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default ODU and VCU being sued by RIAA

I was reading the ODU newspaper today and saw us fine ODU students and our awesome VCU neighbors recently had a lawsuit filed against us for illegal file sharing across school networks. if you go to odu or vcu it might be a good idea to spend a second looking up ways to secure your anonymity while sharing music or videos. i dont really download much music so i dont know of any sort of solution to this but apparently college students have been fined up to $12,000 (yes, per person) for illegally sharing copyrighted files.

just something to think about. i know i dont want to have to pay some dumbass fine for downloading music
Old 02-14-2005, 03:50 PM
757 to NoVA

sonic_va is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ODU and VCU being sued by RIAA

haha...run ya pirates....and watch the schools cut ya off.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

From what I understand, the network in the dorms is so slow that you can't do too much downloading anyways.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

it's pretty turdly

my sweet dell laptop decided to take a shit though so my access to the internet is usually from the library where im at now. the connection here is alright
Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reuter
it's pretty turdly

my sweet dell laptop decided to take a shit though so my access to the internet is usually from the library where im at now. the connection here is alright
That sucks. I wonder if you're having the same problem Leigh is.
The wifi network is pretty nice, though.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Patron

quickysrt quickysrt quickysrt

cant you just sell your damn puter?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

the connection here at odu is fucking horrible. a smoking 20k per second download rate... Im convinced the reason the network is so slow is because computer illeterate people download a p2p program such as kazaa or limewire, install it, then forget to close it in the system tray and/or disable it from starting up with windows: so then theyre ALWAYS uploading shit to other people.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Some_Day has disabled reputation

haha i was talkin to some freshman in one of my classes at vcu who was talkin about this and i think vcu has started some shit to find out exactly who is dl'ing music. thank god i got my fix in last year in the dorms and moved my ass off campus!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:22 PM
uhmm right

corina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Some_Day
haha i was talkin to some freshman in one of my classes at vcu who was talkin about this and i think vcu has started some shit to find out exactly who is dl'ing music. thank god i got my fix in last year in the dorms and moved my ass off campus!
wow so they're finally cracking down at VCU?? man...so I'm kinda confused. Everyone in my dorm uses iTunes so most of the songs on there have to be bought, and then there are diff programs that people have used 2 "take" their music from their iTunes. (ie OurTunes or something like that) I don't understand how this would be a problem because the music from iTunes are bought or uploaded directly from CDs, so would you get in trouble by using something like that? I'm sorry i'm not very computer literate when it comes to file sharing and whatnot...just a question...
Old 02-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Originally Posted by corina
wow so they're finally cracking down at VCU?? man...so I'm kinda confused. Everyone in my dorm uses iTunes so most of the songs on there have to be bought, and then there are diff programs that people have used 2 "take" their music from their iTunes. (ie OurTunes or something like that) I don't understand how this would be a problem because the music from iTunes are bought or uploaded directly from CDs, so would you get in trouble by using something like that? I'm sorry i'm not very computer literate when it comes to file sharing and whatnot...just a question...
Think of it this way: mp3's gotta come from somewhere, right? Meaning that someone had to have purchased the music in some form or fashion (either by buying the CD and converting the music to mp3 file, or by downloading the mp3 from an authorized store such as iTunes).

The person who spent the cash on the music can do whatever they want with their music, as long as it's not distributed. They can copy their CD they bought a million times, or make a million mp3 files of the same song, and that's fine. However, the second they give a copy of that CD or file to someone who didn't pay for it, is when they've stepped into a realm of questionable legality.

http://filesharing.iu.edu/legaluse.php

If this is like most RIAA busts, they're going to go after the people who are heavy uploaders, not downloaders. So basically, stop sharing the files you "obtain".