Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Stock exhaust ticket?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish Tunafish
Default Re: Stock exhaust ticket?

You should be fine. Got pulled for my Greddy Evo 2 the other day. Officer was nice though, told me to get it fixed and take a picture in to court, and that I should have no problems.

Thing that bugs me is I have never had the same answer twice about exhaust and what the law actually is.

I've heard:
1) Too loud, if you had a silencer it would be okay. (most recent)
2) In the state of Virginia it is illegal to alter your vehicle's stock exhaust system in ANY way. (Bullshit! What about Meineke?)
3) "I don't care how loud it is, the judges hate those big goofy mufflers, Change it 'cause it's not going to go your way in court"
he went on to say, "as long as it looks like this, you are going to have a problem"

All the new v8 throwback muscle cars are loud as shit compared to everything else stock... but that's okay.

Stacks coming out of the bed of your pickup? Pluming black smoke?... Fine.

Shelby AC Cobra replica with loud ass side pipes.... Damn, that's cool looking!

Honda with fart can... no dice.

Bottom line, it's all BS anyway. It's not about the exhaust or any real reason most of the time (except when they need $$$)., it's about you. I once got three non-speeding tickets for speeding, he didn't get my speed so he just gave me other stuff instead.

If they make enough laws then it's inevitable that you are going to break one of them, giving police the justification to pull over anyone any time they feel like it, which is the idea. The exhaust was just a reason, and any reason is good enough, he just wanted to pull you.

Good luck with your ticket.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Impulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these parts

Exhaust law down here is along the lines of this:

Any aftermarket exhaust installed has to perform the same function as OEM.

and thats it. There are noise limits on disturbing the peace and other crap like that though.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Sound like what happened to me when I had my WRX. Got a ticket for aftermarket exhaust, suspension, intake, and wheels. The car was bone stock. Took pictures, went to court, was told the ticket was absurd(judge lives three houses down), court fees voided.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by Tunafish
You should be fine. Got pulled for my Greddy Evo 2 the other day. Officer was nice though, told me to get it fixed and take a picture in to court, and that I should have no problems.

Thing that bugs me is I have never had the same answer twice about exhaust and what the law actually is.

I've heard:
1) Too loud, if you had a silencer it would be okay. (most recent)
2) In the state of Virginia it is illegal to alter your vehicle's stock exhaust system in ANY way. (Bullshit! What about Meineke?)
3) "I don't care how loud it is, the judges hate those big goofy mufflers, Change it 'cause it's not going to go your way in court"
he went on to say, "as long as it looks like this, you are going to have a problem"

All the new v8 throwback muscle cars are loud as shit compared to everything else stock... but that's okay.

Stacks coming out of the bed of your pickup? Pluming black smoke?... Fine.

Shelby AC Cobra replica with loud ass side pipes.... Damn, that's cool looking!

Honda with fart can... no dice.

Bottom line, it's all BS anyway. It's not about the exhaust or any real reason most of the time (except when they need $$$)., it's about you. I once got three non-speeding tickets for speeding, he didn't get my speed so he just gave me other stuff instead.

If they make enough laws then it's inevitable that you are going to break one of them, giving police the justification to pull over anyone any time they feel like it, which is the idea. The exhaust was just a reason, and any reason is good enough, he just wanted to pull you.

Good luck with your ticket.
you're fucking stupid, those "aftermarket" exhaust's are for OFF ROAD USE only, it clearly says and displays that. It IS illegal in the state of Virgina to alter your exhaust from factory specs.

DEAL WITH IT
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
CrossFit KILLS

Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I'm going to guess that this occurred in either Cpeake or VABeach, not because of where you live, but because you got a ticket for a stock exhaust.
this is so true.

got stopped and almost ticketed for my exhaust last year (stock). What he didnt know is I had a stolen keg from plaza in the back
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

When I used to own a SRT-4, I got a ticket for the stock exhaust. Not a big deal. Went to court and it was dropped, and the officer looked silly in front of the judge, considering the car wasn't even a year old, so it's not like he could reasonably claim my mufflers or exhaust gaskets were blown.

To sum it up:
You might still get slapped with the ticket for not having a front plate despite what you do, it just depends on the judge.
You should be able to have the exhaust charge dropped as long as you can reasonably prove the exhaust is stock. I recommend taking a video of it with the car running and get under the car while doing so displaying all the stock piping (even pop the hood to show the manifolds if possible).
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

theptownkid has disabled reputation

my car isnt even loud and i get pulled over all the time. im just running a catback with a muffler and a resonator. since january ive been pulled over 2 times for tint alone, once for just exhaust and the last time for tint, exhaust and being "too low". needless to say is my tint on my front windows is gone. since ive taken the tint off about a month ago i havent got messed with once. so either deal with it, take it off or register your car somewhere else. sometimes you can catch the cops off guard if you know the law. thats how i got out of my first exhaust ticket.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

theptownkid has disabled reputation

^^^^^^^^^^^^ my bad i didnt see the stock part. woops.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

DazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to beholdDazedandConfuse is a splendid one to behold

hahahaa, just saw this. Just take a few photos and print them out. If you have the cat and muffler that includes bafflers (which unless its a straight through it will) and thats all you need to get out of that ticket.

I had a state trooper walk past my car in a Barnes and Noble parking lot and tell me my car was illegal. I admitted to him I knew it was and asked for advice on a few items, but then he pointed at my exhaust and said it looked a little big.....IT WAS STOCK. I told him it was stock and he didnt believe me and continued to argue until I told him to look at the Mazdaspeed logo on the tip and then he shut up. LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

take the exhaust off the car, bring to court, beat judge dead with exhaust, done and done.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust ticket?