Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

tackle football saturday (sept.1) newport news

Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: tackle football saturday (sept.1) newport news

How many people do you guys have comin out?
Me and a bunch of my buddies were supposed to play some guys, but they might be backing out and we still wanna play...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
GO U!!

W33ZY is a name known to allW33ZY is a name known to allW33ZY is a name known to allW33ZY is a name known to allW33ZY is a name known to allW33ZY is a name known to all

as far as i know we have 2 teams coming out
Old 08-31-2007, 02:45 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
Blackout... you're on the level of 2quick4most, seriously... you are that fucking stupid.
this coming from you... lol.

so are you going to show up to this game?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

I might not beable to, i was invited to a friend/coworker's wedding that i never knew about at the last minute.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:09 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by blackout
i knew i'd ruffle some feathers with that comment. truth be told, i really don't know jack shit about rugby, it's just asinine to me for people to say it's a 'real man's sport' compared to football, yet football is the most popular sport in the us.

isn't the ball more round than an american football?

that's fine and good, perhaps you need more stamina and resistance to injury in rugby, but i would still venture to say that from the skill positions at least, football requires more athletic ability and skill. i realize my opinion doesn't count for much due to the aforementioned admittance of a lack of knowledge and personal experience playing the sport, but still a 'play a real man's sport' comment for no apparent reason could not go unnoticed.
Did you know that football came from rugby because in the late 1890s/early 1900s too many people were dying during rugby games. They built football around it to make it "safer". If you want to see what it's like to play rugby, go to YouTube and search for rugby hits.

As far as the skill positions....the person that plays "quarterback" in rugby, called the flyhalf, has to make the same decisions that a normal quarterback does except he has to do it at speed with no blockers and every other position on the rugby field (15 per side) has to make those same decisons at some point in the game since we all have to handle the ball

I welcome you to come out to a game (there's one on the 22nd; http://www.bluesrugby.org/ncbrfc/bluschf.html) and check it out.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:23 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by NFCstang
Did you know that football came from rugby because in the late 1890s/early 1900s too many people were dying during rugby games. They built football around it to make it "safer". If you want to see what it's like to play rugby, go to YouTube and search for rugby hits.

As far as the skill positions....the person that plays "quarterback" in rugby, called the flyhalf, has to make the same decisions that a normal quarterback does except he has to do it at speed with no blockers and every other position on the rugby field (15 per side) has to make those same decisons at some point in the game since we all have to handle the ball

I welcome you to come out to a game (there's one on the 22nd; http://www.bluesrugby.org/ncbrfc/bluschf.html) and check it out.

i'll see if i can make it, seriously.

i'm just saying. for people who play rugby, i always hear 'football is such a pussy sport'... so i always assumed that the main attraction of rugby was that it was far more physical than football. but let's see here... i'm 6' 180, i have more interest in catching the ball and AVOIDING tacklers than actually tackling and being tackled.

besides, honestly... how many people on your roster can crack a sub-4.5 forty yard dash and have more than a 32" vertical leap? i'm sure there might be some... but that's about the absolute minimum requirements to play a skill position (other than quarterback) on a collegiate level. that's where i was going with the 'pure athletes' comment.

(and for the folk like jimmy who will insist on attempting to 'call me out', no i highly doubt i could run those times right now in the current shape i'm in. i'm just simply stating them for reference's sake.)

in hindsight i suppose i should have left your comment alone like everyone else did, but boredom got the best of me.

edit: on topic- can you move the game any closer to virginia beach? there's a great field right off independence blvd by haygood, right next to the jenro's shopping center. i'll definitely show up if some people can agree to play out there.

Last edited by blackout; 08-31-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:26 AM
Registered Member

SS2NV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MR. MXOPLYCK
as far as i know we have 2 teams coming out
I'm a one man team. And i will be there.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Originally Posted by SS2NV
I'm a one man team. And i will be there.
Sweet. Prepare to get hurt. I might have to stop by.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:36 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by blackout
i'll see if i can make it, seriously.

i'm just saying. for people who play rugby, i always hear 'football is such a pussy sport'... so i always assumed that the main attraction of rugby was that it was far more physical than football. but let's see here... i'm 6' 180, i have more interest in catching the ball and AVOIDING tacklers than actually tackling and being tackled.

besides, honestly... how many people on your roster can crack a sub-4.5 forty yard dash and have more than a 32" vertical leap? i'm sure there might be some... but that's about the absolute minimum requirements to play a skill position (other than quarterback) on a collegiate level. that's where i was going with the 'pure athletes' comment.

(and for the folk like jimmy who will insist on attempting to 'call me out', no i highly doubt i could run those times right now in the current shape i'm in. i'm just simply stating them for reference's sake.)

in hindsight i suppose i should have left your comment alone like everyone else did, but boredom got the best of me.

Literally? At least 1 guy and maybe 2 but the first guy is in the selection pool for the US National Team and he's 6'2, 205 or so and a fucking stud. The 2nd guy blew out his knee about 1.5 years ago and is still getting back.

I know that the majority of the guys I play with could exceed most if not all of the "running" criteria at the combine. I personally beat most of the linemen and linebackers in most of the running other then the 40 (clocked at a 4.9 in the 40) and benched 225lbs 29 times but my vertical leap was a bit off (28 inches).

We're also talking about a Mens DII team in Norfolk. If I pull the stats for a Super League team (highest mens level in the US; there's SL, DI, DII and DIII)I bet you'll find quite a few that have those stats. My cousin is the starting right tackle for Notre Dame and he's seen a few games and fully admits that most of the guys he plays agree that rugby is harder

Pure athletes like football players who weren't drafted make great rugby players though. It's a mind shift for them and most of them find the fitness portion to be the worst part followed by the fact that they have to make a decision with the ball like passing or kicking vice just running into someone. Some of the people that make the best rugby players? Wrestlers and hockey players.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

NaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the roughNaD00D00 is a jewel in the rough

It is a shame that sports like rugby and soccer aren't as big here in the states...It seems as if both are more physically demanding than sports like football.

But anyways, where is this game going to be? My team originally was going to play at either Coventry Elemtentary or Kiln Creek.

Quick Reply: tackle football saturday (sept.1) newport news