Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

VIR + Z06 = 140+ mph!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:06 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: VIR + Z06 = 140+ mph!

whats needed in order to run?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

To run you need to have a helmet (some clubs will rent them) I'd suggest an SA200. I got mine from safe-racer.com for $200. It's a G-force Hybrid and was great this weekend. Other than that you need a car in good working condition that can pass a basic tech inspection... seatbelts, no loose items, fresh brake fluid w/ good pads, suspension in good shape etc. If you have a convertible you must have a roll bar, sorry.

If you're a novice they'll put you in the beginner groups and you probably won't be able to take any passengers, but you'll learn a ton and have a whole new respect for your car. Take a look at www.trackschedule.com it has a list of all the clubs and events at the various tracks on the east coast. Also look at the NASA site www.nasaracing.net (I think)

As for power leo... you wouldn't embarass yourself tons of guys race civics and stripped spec miatas and such. There's everything from Beetles to Vipers and full blown GT3 race Porshe's out there. I driving school is probably the BEST mod you can make to your car... learning how to really drive it. If anyone has any questions about running HPDE's PM me. Yeah it's more expensinve but if you look at the $/time ratio you pay like $20 for maybe 5 runs at the strip for a total of just over a minute or two of fun! Where as an HPDE I got 1 hr 45 min of time on Saturday and 1hr 10 min on Sunday. BTW this NASA event cost $285 for the weekend.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

geeze, thats like a once a year thing if not more.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Mr2 yeah it was the full course and it was awesome. It's such a sweet track!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007 leolo007

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
As for power leo... you wouldn't embarass yourself tons of guys race civics and stripped spec miatas and such.
hey brian, I was talking about embarassing all of you guys... I was being sarcastic
but thanks for the info will definitely look into it. I also need a brake upgrade, after a little street racing the other night, they were literally smoking.
One other thing that worries me is driving all the way out there and destroying the car and not having a ride back
I think the first few events I'll settle for spectating.
Later
Old 02-23-2004, 10:27 AM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an instructor with a couple of groups that run at VIR and Summit Point. I don't know why, but NASA seems to do a particularly bad job of matching instructors and students relating to their type of cars. I have always raced V8 cars, mostly Mustangs both early and late model. I currently run and RX7 but it is still RWD and sort of runs like a lower powered Mustang. Last time I instructed with NASA I had students in a Subaru Impreza (not a WRX) and a VTEC Civic?????? While there were two guys in '65-66 Mustangs who had instructors who drove Hondas???? Go figure. I had raced a Shelby GT350 and an a '70 Boss 302. I was the only instructor there who had ever had an early Mustang on a race track, but I get the 4 cyl FWD students....

But generally NASA events are great fun.. I will be instructing at the upcomming Mazda Drivers event (I hope, my car is not ready yet) at the end of March... it is a North Course event. It is probably a better event for a first timer.