Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Where can I get metric socket head cap screws.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Type-R; Tight Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The real Ryan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Where can I get metric socket head cap screws.

We (Fastenal) can order anything. However for what you are asking for I would call York Bolt in Yorktown if its a must have now item. They are very good with the oddball automotive pitch fasteners.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're not actually looking for a socket heat cap screw if it's a countersunk screw though, those are completely different things.

If you sheared the one you have already, you're not going to have any luck with one that is made at a machine shop. It won't be hardened and the threads will be cut instead of rolled, so it's going to be absolute crap as far as a strong fastener is concerned.

Get some from McMaster Carr or MSC, they both ship stuff really fast for no extra charge.

What is this fastener for?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're not actually looking for a socket heat cap screw if it's a countersunk screw though, those are completely different things.

If you sheared the one you have already, you're not going to have any luck with one that is made at a machine shop. It won't be hardened and the threads will be cut instead of rolled, so it's going to be absolute crap as far as a strong fastener is concerned.

Get some from McMaster Carr or MSC, they both ship stuff really fast for no extra charge.

What is this fastener for?

It is a socket head cap screw,the head is counter sunk into a recess. I tried MSC since we deal with them at work,they didnt carry it. It is an extremely rare bolt.

Ill probably just spin in in the lathe,he can get an alloy 3" socket head cap screw and ill just cut in the threads and chop off an inch.

its for a frame slider on my bike.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I wouldn't trust cut bolt threads on anything important. If by "bike" you mean "bicycle" then it should be fine. If you mean "motorcycle" then I wouldn't trust your safety to it...
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

We use cut threads on all sorts of important stuff all the time at work.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:51 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

I wouldn't trust cut bolt threads on anything important. If by "bike" you mean "bicycle" then it should be fine. If you mean "motorcycle" then I wouldn't trust your safety to it...

Ding Ding...thread forming is very precise and strong (=high tensile, high yield strength) fasteners/generally most fasteners/ are not cut threads. The root is controlled during thread forming so there are no local stress concentrations. Once a stress concentration develops into a crack-it literally tears through the minor diameter-regardless of the base material strength. This is the same reason why its a bad idea to "chase" a fastener body to gain additional thread length.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Racetracks

The other reason is that thread forming compresses the metal and increases the local strength (similar to forging), instead of removing it like cutting does.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

You'd have to call to see what the difference is
https://macombmarineparts.com/produc...ducts_id=32868
https://macombmarineparts.com/produc...ducts_id=26482
Old 04-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Reloaded
Those are both hex head (not socket head) cap screws. One has a JIS flange, the other is just a standard 6-point hex head.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Those are both hex head (not socket head) cap screws. One has a JIS flange, the other is just a standard 6-point hex head.
Fine, here ya go, less than $5

http://www.tekbolt.com/proddetail.as...25%2DZC&cat=19

You mad cuz i'm stylin on you?

Quick Reply: Where can I get metric socket head cap screws.