Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Who has flood insurance? "Survival" kit?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
eng
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng
Default Re: Who has flood insurance? "Survival" kit?

Part of my yard is in the AE and X500 zones that requires flood insurance, but my actual house isn't in any zone that requires it. So I have flood insurance but at the lower rate since it isn't required.

$388 per year for $350K coverage with $500 deductible.

Don't really have a survival kit per say, but do have a gas generator in the garage from Isabel for if the power is down more than a day. Lost power from 7-2 yesterday and the freezer only went up to 25F

Glad I don't live in Poquoson anymore, but then again we did used to live in one of the higher parts. During Isabel the water was only maybe an inch or so into the garage and none of the house got flooded.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

Well, I finally got power!

All in all, it wasn't too bad. 40+ hours with no power. No water in the house, no water in/near my car.

Just couldn't go anywhere for 2 days. We had a generator, but it was screwing up really bad, and would only work about an hour at a time. Enough to keep the fridge/freezer cold. Now, for some reason, the breaker for the oven/stove won't work. You push it to on, and it makes itself go to off, even if you hold it in in the "on" position, still no power to the clock on the stove. Just have to figure that out, and clean up the yard. Hope everyone else made it out ok.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

joshuaa3 has disabled reputation

I would recommend everyone get one of these, they are cheap and safe to cook indoors with. About 20-30 bucks and you can find them and the butane at most asian grocers. Also these things, which I saw at the dollar tree last time I was there.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

Originally Posted by eng
Glad I don't live in Poquoson anymore, but then again we did used to live in one of the higher parts. During Isabel the water was only maybe an inch or so into the garage and none of the house got flooded.
I didn't realize you used to live over here. I believe my neighborhood is the highest one in Poquoson, the only water I saw during Isabel was out in the street. We had some branches down, but that's it. Some people I know down Messick Road weren't so lucky.

As far as the survival kit goes, I have a 220v input to the fuse panel so you can hook up a generator directly to the house. It was only used to keep food cold and so we could periodically check the weather channel, but it was nice to not have extension cords all over the place. We stocked up on canned goods and non-perishable items as well, but that's a given when expecting power loss.