Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
This.isEntertainment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn
Default Re: 07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5

Originally Posted by ritz
Put springs on it and put wheels on it. Is it going to look as good as coilovers? Probably not, but I don't know how "into" cars your wife is. My wife probably wouldn't mind coilovers and hell, yours might not either, but I know a couple of guys that have modified their wife's/girlfriend's cars and all they did was bitch about the ride quality and/or fucked something up because it was "too low".
get a new broad.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Flite
Christ allmighty... $262 for an entire set of coilovers? I'm sorry, but at that price, I wouldn't trust 'em. I don't care if other people have good luck with them, but I personally wouldn't trust that. If I was looking for "cheap" coilovers for a VW, I'd get KW V1s.

There is no way I'd put my wife out on the road on a $260 set of coilovers.
The dampers should be perfectly safe; that's easy to do. Well, assuming that you don't manufacture MacPherson piston shafts that break. Whether or not they actually do a rough approximation of their job as a damper is completely different. Spring failure is a higher risk...

Originally Posted by Uzi does it!
not trying to be a dick flite, but thats pretty ignorant, i havent heard a single complaint with these coils, Vmaxx, JOM's, FK streetlines, or any other "generic" coilover. OP do your reasearch and i think you'll be very pleased to know that they are respectable coilovers, no matter if they cost 262 dollars, or 800 dollars.
Originally Posted by blackout
i completely agree. the 'you get what you pay for' is usually an infallible mindset when buying parts, but i have always been completely convinced that coilovers were insanely overpriced, especially if they don't contain the shock body (which i'm not sure if these do or not, i didn't click the link...). i've been thinking for a while there's probably a pretty good market for a cheap, non-race inspired coilover- it seems like i was right.
I keep deleting and rewriting what to say in response to that.

Even though coilovers are sometimes overpriced, there are reasons why decent ones are expensive.

You can go to someplace like Monroe (are they still around?) and buy a OEM-fit strut for $19.95; it will support the weight of your car and will do its own interpretation of what it thinks damping is.

If you're looking for $19.95 worth of damping on each corner of the car, that may do perfectly fine for you.

If you want something that you can actually call 'damping', you'll have to pay more money.

If you want any of the four dampers to behave similarly to any of the other four, you'll have to pay more money. Same goes for the springs.

If you the damper to last any length of time and still do its own interpretation of what it thinks damping is, you have to pay more money. That nitrogen bladder inside the damper (I'm pretty sure there isn't a floating piston and foot valve on a $65/corner coilover) is usually fragile and can eventually rupture under prolonged abuse (or just from age).

If you want something other than a $10 spring on the damper (lowering springs are $40/set from Raceland), you obviously have to pay more money. A crappy damper can either work or not work, and probably won't cause a catastrophic loss of control, but a $10 spring of completely unknown quality and specification is not the safest thing I can think of..

I think it's incredibly ironic and hilarious that the VW wheel whore crowd (who turn up their noses at things like Rotas) would even consider putting something like those coilovers on their cars. Why is it almost mandatory to buy wheels for VWs that cost over $500 each (you want to run with the cool kids, right?), but perfectly acceptable to put a $65 coilover behind that wheel? Some of the BBS center caps cost more per corner than those coilovers..

Why get the most expensive wheels but the cheapest possible aftermarket [strike]performance[/strike] parts? Does that completely underscore what the VW scene is all about?

right, they are a full coilover and shock body, just non adjustable dampening, which is fine for a street car that isn't raced or driven crazily. i love mine.
Not trying to be a dick Uzi, but "dampening" isn't what a coilover does. The coilover doesn't make anything wet, or even slightly moist.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-02-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
typesb4thinking

nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3

Originally Posted by Daft Punk
pics of car?
Spoiler

i like the 245s
Old 03-03-2010, 04:25 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I think it's incredibly ironic and hilarious that the VW wheel whore crowd (who turn up their noses at things like Rotas) would even consider putting something like those coilovers on their cars. Why is it almost mandatory to buy wheels for VWs that cost over $500 each (you want to run with the cool kids, right?), but perfectly acceptable to put a $65 coilover behind that wheel? Some of the BBS center caps cost more per corner than those coilovers..

Why get the most expensive wheels but the cheapest possible aftermarket [strike]performance[/strike] parts? Does that completely underscore what the VW scene is all about?

Not trying to be a dick Uzi, but "dampening" isn't what a coilover does. The coilover doesn't make anything wet, or even slightly moist.
here is the thing, i want a coilover that is going to go low, ride nice, for not alot of money, and these coilovers are perfect for this, you know just as well as i do that vw's are not prime for racing in, the expensive wheels are for just looks, thats all i like vw's for is looks, so i'm not going to buy (excuse my ignorance) 36 way adjustable dampening for me only putting it at one setting, all the way down. and if you ride in the rain your coilover will get damp
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're saying "I'm buying this $260 set of coilovers because I don't want to buy a $2000 set of coilovers. There is a lot of middle ground. You could take a big jump in price and step up to Megan quality, which is kinda funny to say..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
This.isEntertainment

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're saying "I'm buying this $260 set of coilovers because I don't want to buy a $2000 set of coilovers. There is a lot of middle ground. You could take a big jump in price and step up to Megan quality, which is kinda funny to say..
well certain coilovers go lower then others. megan does not make a coilover that goes low enough for me, koni, kw, weitech, FK, and bilstein do not go low enough, K-sport, B&G, Vmaxx, Raceland, JOM, and a few others all go really low, thats really all i care about. i rode on coilovers that bounced me so high i've nearly hit my head on my roof, but it was low, and thats all i care about. so basically i could get 800 dollar coilovers that do the exact same thing, so i bought them, but i did not buy racelands, i bought vmaxx
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

I don't see why people are always so butt hurt about how other people choose to spend their money.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 AM
This.isEntertainment

Originally Posted by D.Nick
I don't see why people are always so butt hurt about how other people choose to spend their money.
because my coilovers cost half of what "good" coilovers are supposed to cost, means they are junk.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

because my coilovers cost half of what "good" coilovers are supposed to cost, means they are junk.
Some people say the same thing about the NEX coilovers I just bought. Sorry I drive a station wagon that is never going to end up on a track. I don't need to spend ~1500 on ground control w/ adjustable damping b/c their setup is way overkill for what I'm planning to do w/ my car.

If you're just into parking hard I don't see any reason not to go w/ a coilover like raceland. All of the reviews I've read have been pretty positive so I don't see what everyone is arguing about. Maybe they're onto something.. People are much more willing to risk not being satisfied w/ a ~$300 product than they are w/ a product thats over a thousand big ones. A lot of people have a problem pulling the trigger on something that pricey.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 AM
This.isEntertainment

right, they are on to something, people who just have street cars, that want a good stance don't need to spend alot of money on something they are just using to go low. and they don't need to cost a fortune either, they will sell a whole lot more, and in turn make more money IMO

Quick Reply: 07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5