Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5

Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
B Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW
Default Re: 07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5

Originally Posted by D.Nick
You're lucky I wasn't paying attention. At least I know how to spell. Consider that free rep for being a faggot.
Yeah right, you were foamin too hard.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
Yeah right, you were foamin too hard.
No, you really are a faggot.

It must be miserable to feel obligated to try to piss people off online. It assures to me that you don't have the balls to say half this shit in person, and the fact that you have a habit of doing it via the rep system shows that you really like to invite conflict behind the safety of your keyboard.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Originally Posted by blackout

It must be miserable to feel obligated to try to piss people off online. It assures to me that you don't have the balls to say half this shit in person, and the fact that you have a habit of doing it via the rep system shows that you really like to invite conflict behind the safety of your keyboard.
I would say it to your face or his, I'm not a pussy like half the people on this site. I just like pissing you guys off. BTW your paint is chipping already.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So how many people here would drive at highway speeds on a tire that retails for $20 brand new? The car drives and the tire holds air, right? Isn't that all it needs to do? You could maybe trust it to take a day trip on the highway, as long as it's not too hot out, the car is only lightly loaded, you don't drive too fast, you don't need to brake quickly, it's not raining, there's no potholes, and the road is straight...

You just want something affordable, right, so you don't want to look into the Michelin Pilot Sports at $300 each. So I guess those are the two choices, either spend $20 or spend $300. It's really too bad that there aren't any tires between those two.

LOL. Good point. I still think there should be an affordable option for those who are more concerned with stance as opposed to racing functionality
That actually sums up my entire point even though it may not seem like it.

An affordable option still needs to have the quality and expected performance to do the job properly. I don't consider a $260 set of coilovers worthwhile in terms of quality or reliability, even if their only job is to support the weight of the car and make it impractically low.

I understand that many/most people don't need motorsport-derived performance on the street, and I'm one of those people. I'd love to have some Ohlins coilovers, but I have no need for them and don't want to pay for them either. That being said, I do want something of decent enough quality that I know isn't going to spontaneously change into an oil pump instead of a damper, and that isn't going to snap a spring because of improper heat treating or material defects.

A $260 set of coilovers isn't even remotely close to the quality of even the cheapest OEM struts on any car that I know of (OEMs know better than to play those games), and there are reasons why. That is the basis of my entire argument. I know it's not about performance; my argument is that I can't possibly get myself to trust the quality or proper function at that price level, and because of that am not the slightest bit willing to put them on my car.

I'm curious about the very careful disclaimer on the Raceland site about not ever using their product on the street/highway. I'm assuming that's so they don't have huge liability issues with product failure. It sounds like they are fully admitting that their product isn't worthy of normal road use. I don't know if I've ever seen that disclaimer on a reputable coilover manufacturer's site, but I could be wrong or not paying attention.

So I completely agree that there should be an affordable option for people who don't care at all about performance. But, being an affordable option doesn't have to mean being a really questionable option. There is a big gap between $260 Racelands and the $750 or whatever Megans/etc cost, and a big range of quality that could fill that gap. There is a whole range between too cheap to actually trust and unnecessarily expensive.

Just for reference, I have a set of KW Variant 1s, not some super expensive multi-adjustable race dampers. I didn't want to spend that much for street car coilovers, but they performed a lot better than the cheaper multi-adjustable Megan/BC/etc after some comparison rides in the same type car.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I would say it to your face or his, I'm not a pussy like half the people on this site. I just like pissing you guys off. BTW your paint is chipping already.
They're just coilovers, both of you chill out.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

MADFACE
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Word? So you'll tell me to my face that I'm black and my opinion doesn't matter?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Just for reference, I have a set of KW Variant 1s, not some super expensive multi-adjustable race dampers. I didn't want to spend that much for street car coilovers, but they performed a lot better than the cheaper multi-adjustable Megan/BC/etc after some comparison rides in the same type car.
I think for a normal street driven car for most people, something similar to KW V1s are the perfect option. Most people don't know the ins and outs of suspension tuning... KW does. With their V1s, they're able to tune in what they think is a good compromise that works... and it does. And for a little over $1000, the quality is there.

I just don't get it. Cheap out on an air intake, or exhaust if you want to. Run shitty aero if you like it. But why skimp out on the parts of your car that are responsible for keeping the tires on the road?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Flite
But why skimp out on the parts of your car that are responsible for keeping the [strike]tires[/strike] car on the road?
That's my opinion.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

Quick Reply: 07 Jetta Wheel Fitment - 18x8.5