Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?

Well, it's not so much money is an issue as it is what do I want to spend my money on...there's a lot of things I'd like to buy and I only have so much money.

I wonder if there's somewhere around here where I can listen to the speakers before buying them...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

The only local Infinity dealers (as far as Infinity's web site says) is Best Buy down here and Dominion Radio Supply, up in Richmond....

BB has the 3.5's for $80 and the 4x6's for $110............ There's no telling what they have on display at the store... but it doesn't really give you a good idea of what it will sound like in your car due to it being mounted to a block of wood in a wall vice your interrior... I'm sure you won't be disappointed coming from the Alpine setup...

I don't see a 3.5 Alpine... they make a 4".... http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/speakers
The only Alpine retailer I see listed is Discount Auto Sound, locally....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Yeah, they don't make the 3.5" any more, but what I have are the Alpine S 3.5" in front and 4x6 in rear, and the only dead speaker is one of the 4x6. I guess if I'm going to spend $57 I might as well go ahead and spend $147 (with no local dealer I might as well get it from hookedontronics, which has good prices and is where I got the speakers the last time). I'll just install the right rear one first, see how I like it, and if I don't like it as much I can always return at least the 3.5 and probably the 4x6 too.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
ATGATT

I just noticed something. The Infinity are much higher RMS wattage than the Alpine (45w vs 60w for the 4x6). I just use my head unit for the amp, which is 47 watts per channel. Does that mean that for my application I'd be better off with the Alpine because my head unit isn't powerful enough to drive the Infinity?
Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 AM
ATGATT

I just realied something....my 4ohm head unit cant drive the 2ohm Infinity speakers without risking damage....D'OH!