Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Depreciation

Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Car Depreciation

What exactly determines a vehicles overal depreciation? Comparing my 07 GMC Sierra vs my wifes 07 VW Jetta it seems as though her car has dropped like a rock.

So it got me thinking about all of the cars through the years and how the pricing of them has dropped without any clear reasoning to me as to why.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Car Depreciation

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
What exactly determines a vehicles overal depreciation? Comparing my 07 GMC Sierra vs my wifes 07 VW Jetta it seems as though her car has dropped like a rock.

So it got me thinking about all of the cars through the years and how the pricing of them has dropped without any clear reasoning to me as to why.
Well... the market determines the value of a used car and the difference between that and the price paid when new is depreciation. Cars that are more desirable depreciate slower. For instance, a Porsche has a high initial cost but overall cost of ownership is low when you sell it because you can generally get more for them than say a Corvette. People perceive the P-car to be solid even when used.

Jaguars depreciate like crazy because of perceived quality issues, and many higer end cars fall when the warranty runs out.

For the most part the depreciation curve levels off after 4-5 years. In the minds of the average stupid consumer the car is "consumed" in that period and has little value. People think like that becuase they don't understand cars and thik a 5 year old car out of warranty will cost them $1,000,000.

I'm not really sure how else to answer your question... I feel it's pretty much summed up with "supply vs. demand".
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

I don't want to hear any bitching about depreciation. Buy an AMG then you can talk.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Well... the market determines the value of a used car and the difference between that and the price paid when new is depreciation. Cars that are more desirable depreciate slower. For instance, a Porsche has a high initial cost but overall cost of ownership is low when you sell it because you can generally get more for them than say a Corvette. People perceive the P-car to be solid even when used.

Jaguars depreciate like crazy because of perceived quality issues, and many higer end cars fall when the warranty runs out.

For the most part the depreciation curve levels off after 4-5 years. In the minds of the average stupid consumer the car is "consumed" in that period and has little value. People think like that becuase they don't understand cars and thik a 5 year old car out of warranty will cost them $1,000,000.

I'm not really sure how else to answer your question... I feel it's pretty much summed up with "supply vs. demand".
That gave me the general idea. I just couldnt wrap my head around how kbb or NADA come up with the set "value".

Originally Posted by vmspionage
I don't want to hear any bitching about depreciation. Buy an AMG then you can talk.
Haha I don't even what to know. I was over your way not too long ago and that thing was pretty dirty.... and I was diggin' it!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Haha I don't even what to know. I was over your way not too long ago and that thing was pretty dirty.... and I was diggin' it!
Thanks I need to do a better job keeping her clean in the winter. Cold + holidays + daily driver = epic fail.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Yeah MB depreciation is nuts... that's how my mom has her '07 CLS550. MSRP on the car was $80,xxx. She bought it this past April with 13,000 miles and an extended warranty for $42,xxx. So she basically got a brand new car for 1/2 price.

She was shopping the new CTS and had a $40k figure in her head. She mentioned she really loved a certain mercedes but figured it was a 6-figure car. That's when I informed her of the horrible depreciation curve and the merrits of a CPO car.

Basically people don't want used Mercedes' because they're affraid to own them out of warranty due to quality issues in the late 90s and early 2000s. Plus, you have to remember that dealers are sellign them for $10k off of sticker so the MSRP isn't the starting point anyway.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

My buick has held its value failry well

BUT the camry freakin plummeted.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yeah MB depreciation is nuts... that's how my mom has her '07 CLS550. MSRP on the car was $80,xxx. She bought it this past April with 13,000 miles and an extended warranty for $42,xxx. So she basically got a brand new car for 1/2 price.

She was shopping the new CTS and had a $40k figure in her head. She mentioned she really loved a certain mercedes but figured it was a 6-figure car. That's when I informed her of the horrible depreciation curve and the merrits of a CPO car.

Basically people don't want used Mercedes' because they're affraid to own them out of warranty due to quality issues in the late 90s and early 2000s. Plus, you have to remember that dealers are sellign them for $10k off of sticker so the MSRP isn't the starting point anyway.
Exactly, if you can make the depreciation work for you then it's great. MBZ quality has gone way up in recent years but you can still get the CPOs at a huge discount.

Originally Posted by Donkey Punch
My buick has held its value failry well

BUT the camry freakin plummeted.
Strange... I thought yotas had decent resale?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by vmspionage
Exactly, if you can make the depreciation work for you then it's great. MBZ quality has gone way up in recent years but you can still get the CPOs at a huge discount.

Strange... I thought yotas had decent resale?
We bought it august 08 for $21K...certified, 20K miles, ......

Now in its current form with 40K on it its KBB'd to $16,500.

Sucks.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

This is why I don't buy new cars. I can get a c6 vette in the low low 30s now.

Quick Reply: Car Depreciation