Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Modification Laws in Virginia

Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 AM
face is vanilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face
Default Re: Car Modification Laws in Virginia

Originally Posted by Just_ME
How ever the laws in Virginia prevent us from having a road worthy modified car.
A road worth car is where you have an issue. If parts are not DOT approved, than they have not been tested and you can't just deem them road worthy parts. I trust my parts are road worthy, but what happens when someone's parts they got on ebay for $3 fails and causes an accident.

I have already E-mailed a few other state governors asking for reports or accidents caused by a modified vehicle.
If you actually want to do something, ink needs to be on paper.
I find it stupid how for example we HAVE to have a license plate in the front of our cars. Its pointless, I have been told its for cops, well I have been pulled over a few times and I dont know about yall but the cops dont look at my front plates, they pull in behind me and run my plates. I dont understand that. Its just stupid little stuff like that, that gets to me.
It is for the cop. people don't aways pull over, and they don't always get a rear view of the car.

Never said sound systems were illegal.
yes you did.
Well I am also talking about simple mods like tint and sound systems and things like that.
But noise complaints will get you a ticket. I believe the law is if someone can hear you/your car from more then 50 yards away it can be called in for noise complaint, that’s retarded.
Thats not retarded, and its not a car related ticket, it has to do with noise ordinances. I wouldn't like hearing you drive by my house, let alone, be woken up at 3am by your retarded ass driving in my neighborhood. Thank God I live in the boonies.

Tint laws in VA are as follows, 50% up front and 35% in rear. Some factory cars have more then that. Tint in southern states for "hot weather" is in some way understandable, but dark tint is also legal, last I checked in places such as Maryland and New York; correct me if I am wrong.
Tint is also for the cops, they like to be able to see into your car and make sure you aren't putting a clip in your glock. Traffic stops aren't always safe, and having tinted windows isn't going to make an officer feel any better about it.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to be able to freely modify my car(if I had the money), but there are too many retards that do stupid shit to their cars. If you don't believe me, go to Home Depot on Saturday nights in Newport News. Drive around, look at the cars, and ask yourself how many of them don't look safe to drive on the road. Lastly, thanks for trying to sound professional, its much better than coming off like an illiterate want to be gangster, but your grammar still sucks. Welcome to VADriven.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Just_ME has disabled reputation

Well, I am glad you think that way. Thank you again for your input. However its people like you, the ones who say they like to customize there cars, and yet follow every rule or law and seem to be stuck up the governments ass. I appreciate you telling me what you think, but please on this thread keep it to yourself.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
face is vanilla

Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face Vanilla Face

Not once did I say I followed the law. I would love for it to be different. I was explaining why it is how it is. You need to think about why they have these laws, and figure out how to prove that their reasoning is not true.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
face is vanilla

Also, and I think many people will agree, if you don't act like an ass clown, or you don't drive a piece of shit, you won't have a problem. I'm going to assume you aren't just being proactive, but you that you have had problems in the past. Meaning you either act and drive like an ass clown or you car looks like bondo dookie.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

you're not gonna get shit changed. its the commonwealth of VA. suck it up or move. sorry but thats the way it is and will probably always be.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Protip: This site has been around for years, and there are plenty of people on this site who have been modifying cars much longer. People with way more financial backing and political pull than you.

You aren't the first one to be annoyed by the laws.
You aren't the first one to try to do something to change the laws.
You won't be the first one to fail.

If all you have right now are some emails you have sent, you have essentially nothing. We've gone through the effort, exhausted connections, and you know what the result was? Nothing.

Face it, the automotive enthusiast community is a minority, and responsible automotive enthusiasts even smaller still. Virginia isn't going to give up it's cash cow to placate a small group who's image is most represented by negative stereotypes.

You want change? Do these two things and then come on here with that talk:

1. Put into power a person who is shares the same automotive enthusiasm that we do.
2. Completely change the public's perception of people with modified vehicles for the positive.

Just stop now. Seriously. Your goal is way beyond what is currently attainable. You need to start on a much smaller scale, that being previously mentioned point number 2.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Twisty Tuned

blackcrxd15 has disabled reputation

funny...another commonwealth is russia.....go figure
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

6spdeg has disabled reputation

Yeah what soul said.... I remember yrs ago there was an online petitioin... obviously got no where.
As far as stereo system...
If I recall and they have not changed the laws... there is something about having a license to run an amplified system... This came up when dealing with the state police about local iss's.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Banned

cpakc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, to kind of play-off what the admin said, except maybe in a more constructive manner, and not feeling the need to belittle you in the process. The way you effect the change is either make the strict enforcement of these laws, seem to really not be in the publics' best interest, or you find somebody that is an enthusiast as said, and will look at the national norm regarding mod laws, and scales back VA's authority.

The most chance of success would be from the first scenario, the way you go about that is, statistical data showing that dedicating so much resources to enforce (W) laws,that allows,(X),(Y) and(Z) crime to flourish. Especially if X,Y,and Z crimes would be say (grand theft, murder, and constant growing gang activity) and that the resources more evenly spread around or more dedicated to stopping X,Y and,Z crimes would be more beneficial in the publics best interest. Ofcourse we all know that X,Y,and Z crimes are wildly out of control in VA as it is, so that argument brought to light through a blistering media campaign of factual statistics shown to the public will give politicians reasons to pressure police chiefs and sherriffs to switch gears as to how they conduct business. But as long as people sit on the internet and just whine about getting exhaust tickets, nothing will be brought to the large majority of voters who don't care about the vehicle mod laws and how they are enforced. All the while vehicle thefts,bank robberies,murders, and more gangs continue to start-up and thrive in VA, goes unchallenged, because that's tougher, more dangerous police work with less revenue generating potential. A good analogy to use would be, people (specifically younger people) that drive Imports were shown on the average to be constantly in violation of the laws and most likely to never be in compliance, and citing them was lucrative. They had the "flashlight" put on them. Find a way to get the flashlight removed from that, and moved to something else, then go to work on getting the laws changed. Like be more in-line with the adjoining states around VA and the "national average".

Last edited by cpakc1; 10-23-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Stuff n Stuff

240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee

I'm not a fan of the laws myself, in fact, there is a state trooper looking for my car to ticket it when he saw it in front of my work, he wanted to write tickets for every modification.

But

I wish they would fucking enforce the sound system laws more.

If you are one of the mother fuckers who rolls through VCU and rattles the windows of my house with your subs thinking your a hardass, I hope you get ticketed more.

At least my car just scrapes a little bit, not rattling the windows out of other peoples houses.

Quick Reply: Car Modification Laws in Virginia