Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

CAR THEFT CHALLENGE...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 AM
go topless.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BillMW has disabled reputation
Default Re: CAR THEFT CHALLENGE...

Originally Posted by dc/dc
for this thread.
Originally Posted by XCELR8
Nice post, Bill.
Thank you gentlemen.

Originally Posted by elambchopz
DEI GPS > Lo-Jack.

You do realize in order for the police to find your car with Lo-Jack, there has to be a police car with it equipped within range of your car, right? The only good thing about Lo-Jack is the early detection. I'll take a GPS setup that provides real time tracking over hoping a cop drives near my car.
If I'm not mistaken, a large majority of police cruisers have been equipped with LoJack for years. The GPS setup sounds intriguing and obviously less costly, but isn't it portable? Do you just hide it under the back seat where thieves can't find it? Please elaborate on this, thanks.

Here's an example of what I would like to see posted on here someday:

Case File #VA041507

Police Helicopter Tracks Stolen Land Rover to Steel Container at the Port of Newark

Stolen Vehicle: 2006 Land Rover Carry All
Recovery: Prince George, VA
On April 15, 2007
When the owner of this Land Rover Carry All discovered it had been stolen, he immediately called the Prince George Police Department in Virginia and filed a theft report. The hidden LoJack Unit on the vehicle was immediately activated.

Following the activation, a Newark Police Department Aviation Unit was doing a routine patrol when they began receiving the silent LoJack signal from the stolen Land Rover on the LoJack Police Tracking Computer in their helicopter. The signal led officers to the Port of Newark and pinpointed a steel shipping container. Ground Units were called to the scene and when they opened the container they found the stolen Land Rover and two other stolen vehicles locked inside. The container was destined for foreign shores where the vehicles would have sold for a large profit. The Land Rover was returned to a very grateful owner and the Port Authority Police are trying to track down the owners of the other two stolen vehicles.

The LoJack-equipped Land Rover led police to bring an international fraud attempt to a screeching halt and recover 3 stolen vehicles.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa

I've talked to a rep for LoJack, and she said that they do group deals for every person you get to do it, they will knock a hundred dollars off the price. I've looked into it, but I don't plan on keeping my car that much longer to worry about that.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
CRX

CivicRenModelX has disabled reputation

BillMW This is an awesome thread. Great idea.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

Onstar is very similar to lojack if you have it activated.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

I thought someone on here with a ITR had Lo-jack and found there car in suffolk with just a busted driver side window and broken steering column.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 PM
executive member

Turbobrick Turbobrick

Many PD's in the NOVA localities have cruisers on patrol at all times with lojack detection equipment

FFX has alot of cruisers setup for lojack detection btw.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Agreed, good thread.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 PM

slamd_s_dyme has disabled reputation

Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
magnifying glass???

MALIIT TITI is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a local installer for LoJack... it is a small enough box that can be fitted anywhere in your vehicle as a GPS tracking device... the system has limits on strenght due to the install of the antenna... it is powered by your vehicle power system or once the vehicle have no power at all the internal battery lasts a few days so that it can be seen thru the LoJack PDT (Tracking Device) the local cops has this device in hand when needed.

LoJack has good points in Insurance and Guarantee when your vehicle is stolen and if not recovered!!!

I personally will not buy a LoJack unit for my vehicles... personal reasons since I am an installer.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
fabricating is fun

cleckner04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ITSUKI Drifter
I am a local installer for LoJack... it is a small enough box that can be fitted anywhere in your vehicle as a GPS tracking device... the system has limits on strenght due to the install of the antenna... it is powered by your vehicle power system or once the vehicle have no power at all the internal battery lasts a few days so that it can be seen thru the LoJack PDT (Tracking Device) the local cops has this device in hand when needed.

LoJack has good points in Insurance and Guarantee when your vehicle is stolen and if not recovered!!!

I personally will not buy a LoJack unit for my vehicles... personal reasons since I am an installer.
so are you saying that lojack is ran off the battery. so if its unhooked you will never find your car again? or are you talking about the gps tracking device? witch one would you choose if you had too?

Quick Reply: CAR THEFT CHALLENGE...