Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Cop Owns Teen 350z driver

Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE
Default Re: Cop Owns Teen 350z driver

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
i'm out of rep for now can someone give this guy red for me?
NasT: I need backup on an idiot poster, rep out of jurisdiction
3.5SE: 10-4, I'll help youout
Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by 3Point5SE
NasT: I need backup on an idiot poster, rep out of jurisdiction
3.5SE: 10-4, I'll help youout
LOL, i laughed so hard i had Mtdew come out my nose...i'm going to rep you when i can
Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Smokeybear does have some story's of people trying to race him. I have seen it in the road kill section
Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Vatican Assassin

MissmyE30 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Boost-box
Isnt that entrapment?

A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit; and the law as a matter of policy forbids conviction in such a case.

However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the Government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime. For example, it is not entrapment for a Government agent to pretend to be someone else and to offer, either directly or through an informer or other decoy, to engage in an unlawful transaction with the person. So, a person would not be a victim of entrapment if the person was ready, willing and able to commit the crime charged in the indictment whenever opportunity was afforded, and that Government officers or their agents did no more than offer an opportunity.

On the other hand, if the evidence leaves a reasonable doubt whether the person had any intent to commit the crime except for inducement or persuasion on the part of some Government officer or agent, then the person is not guilty.

In slightly different words: Even though someone may have [sold drugs], as charged by the government, if it was the result of entrapment then he is not guilty. Government agents entrapped him if three things occurred:

- First, the idea for committing the crime came from the government agents and not from the person accused of the crime.

- Second, the government agents then persuaded or talked the person into committing the crime. Simply giving him the opportunity to commit the crime is not the same as persuading him to commit the crime.

- And third, the person was not ready and willing to commit the crime before the government agents spoke with him.

On the issue of entrapment the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entrapped by government agents.
Entrapment charges often stem from vice crimes involving drugs, gambling or prostitution. Law enforcement agencies have the legal right to present their officers as drug dealers, prostitutes, gambling bookmakers or other professional criminals. Contrary to popular belief, these undercover agents do not have to reveal their true identities or legal affiliation when asked. It is not considered police entrapment if an undercover officer presents a supply of drugs to a potential buyer, for example. The buyer of those drugs commits a crime once the deal has been made, not during the initial contact with the undercover officer.

Law enforcement officers must be aware of their limitations during a sting operation to avoid later accusations of entrapment. An undercover officer working as a prostitute, for example, cannot initiate a conversation leading to the customer's solicitation offer. A defendant arrested for solicitation of a prostitute could claim that the undercover officer was flirtatious or made physical contact before identifying herself as a prostitute. An argument could be made that the solicitation was based on the officer's behavior, not on the defendant's intention to commit a crime.

Claims of entrapment can be notoriously difficult to prove. Some successful claims against law enforcement agencies have centered around the idea of a 'virtue test'. Police cannot select random citizens to participate in organized sting operations in hopes of generating an arrest. There must be some compelling evidence that a specific individual has a propensity for committing such a crime.

Another reason entrapment is difficult to prove in court is the criminal history of the defendant. If the prosecution can demonstrate a previous history of similar crimes, then it becomes extremely difficult to prove entrapment. Providing an opportunity to commit a crime is not considered entrapment.

This is why police stings involving Internet sex crimes have been successful. Defendants may claim that adult police officers posing as underage chatroom participants constitutes entrapment, for instance. The reality is that the undercover agent only provided an opportunity for the suspect to initiate illegal conversations.
FYI...
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by MissmyE30
FYI...
So if the cop is a total douche in his undercover car, cutting you off and revving at you and yelling at you, and provoking the shit out of you, its ok?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Blowin' smoke.

tdi520 is a jewel in the roughtdi520 is a jewel in the roughtdi520 is a jewel in the rough

You could try to claim entrapment, but it normally just takes more than someone being a dick in traffic. Maybe if the cop was a dick to you every morning for a week that would be enough, but one time? Nah.

That said, the cop in this story seems pretty smug. I hate 'smug.' Whatever. At least he got one idiot off the road for a little bit.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:02 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

So if the cop is a total douche in his undercover car, cutting you off and revving at you and yelling at you, and provoking the shit out of you, its ok?
of course, they be the mutha fucking po lice and they run dees skreetz.

seriously though, the police do what they won't, King Kong ain't got shit on da po lice
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

I'll throw up an example of what I think would be entrapment regarding skreet racing.

A couple years ago I was heading back home on 95 in the boonies outside of richmond. It was like 2am and there were no other cars on the road. I had an absolute giant pos riced out 4 door accord come up within inches of my bumper...giant tach, huge spoiler, etc. He would get up beside me rev his tired bronchitis hacking 4 banger then cut me off and slam on his brakes. He rinsed and repeated this for a good 15 minutes, kept looking over at me giving me the finger and yelling something through his closed windor. finally I slowed down to 40mph on open highway and he continued to pace me, getting dangerously close to the side of my car. I had enough, downshifted, and put several nautical miles on him, and never saw him again. Now if that was a cop doing that, I feel like that would have been entrapment because he was essentially forcing me to speed away.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
No shit... I meant the procedural accuracy.
Given the story posted the procedure would be ok. Most departments frown upon off duty arrests unless there are some unusual/ extreme circunstances.

Originally Posted by SpoolnSRT4
I lol'ed I did not know that if an officer is off duty he could still write you a ticket.
Yes, of course there are right ways and wrong ways to take care of business.

Originally Posted by marlinspike
With the thin blue line for an avatar, you're going to need to learn this statute. I'm telling it to you now so you don't learn it the hard way like most cops do.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+19.2-78

I know there's the last line there saying nothing in the section shall render unlawful an arrest out of uniform, but while the section doesn't there are judges who do.

Sit in a courtroom and see how may times you hear the phrase "wearing my uniform and displaying a badge of authority."And that's just for the seizure.

There's this which WILL invalidate an arrest for certain types of officers.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+19.2-81

Suffice it to say, whether your judge follows that or not, if the events had occurred in VA the smart thing would have been to have the guy in a patrol car observe a violation and get him on that.
"wearing my uniform and displaying a badge of authority" is a requirement for operating and issuing tickets using radar for speed enforcement. I'm sure it includes Laser, Lidar and Vascar as well.I know of no other violations or equipment use that has the same requirement.

The smarter thing would have been to do just as your last line says. As the story was posted, it would take both officers to testify in court. One for the observation of the crime and one for the stop.

There's still a better solution. The off duty officer could take the license plate information and get a good look at the driver. Once at work he could run the license plate and visit the address associated with the plate and find the driver. This is where the "hey remember me?" conversation takes place. Positively identify the driver and then head down to the magistrates office. Once at the magistates office he could obtain warrants for the violations witnessed. A quick return trip to the driver to serve the papers.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 12-18-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
"wearing my uniform and displaying a badge of authority" is a requirement for operating and issuing tickets using radar for speed enforcement. I'm sure it includes Laser, Lidar and Vascar as well.I know of no other violations or equipment use that has the same requirement.
Hmmm, the judge I know who will kick it cited those statutes I listed and does it for any stop.

You're absolutely right now that I look at it of course. This is why when I had a code issue that nobody in the CA's could solve for me I called one of the cops up.

Last edited by marlinspike; 12-18-2009 at 05:59 PM.