Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Srsly.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.

Originally Posted by Jarrod
True. So your saying stay away from a clay-bar on this paint?

http://www.autogeek.net/cleaner-clay.html

He's going racing this weekend so it'll be sunday when I have a chance to mess with it. I'll have to get all the rubber off it too
Personally speaking, I don't have a lot of experience with clay bars and the few times I have used them, I haven't been impressed.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

DO NOT USE A POWER POLISHER ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN CLEAN PAINT! ! !

Polishers are designed to remove a tiny amount of clear coat or paint off the car (Just a couple microns) Using one of those on a dirty finish is going to drag whatever it removes around on the paint.

A very mild clay is probably going to be your best friend, but I can't give you a "for sure" without being there. Don't do anything until I report back here. I'm going to talk to some professional detailers (real ones, not Cactus Carwash ones) I know and see if they have some experience with different products for overspray.

One definite thing... if/when you clay, you absolutely have to "overdo" the spray detailer. Don't use sparingly at all, drench the surface.

I wish I was there already, I'd come help you out free of charge.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by XCELR8
Personally speaking, I don't have a lot of experience with clay bars and the few times I have used them, I haven't been impressed.
People use clay bars for the wrong thing. They are not a general paint maintenance product. Think of clay bar as a paint preperation product to get it ready for the next step... which would be polishing.

Also, cheap clay bars are junk..... seriously. Never ever ever use an over the counter clay bar.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

You're preaching to the choir, bro. Have you seen the finish on my car?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by XCELR8
You're preaching to the choir, bro. Have you seen the finish on my car?
Not really. If you've used clays in the past and your car's finish is horrible, chances are the cheap clay is partially to blame. Or... you were expecting the clay to help make the surface shinier.. which it won't really do. it just removes contaminants so that your polisher can do a better job and your wax/sealant can adhere better

If you are as absolutely anal retentive as I am about your paint, you probably haven't been impressed with clay because..... well you car didn't need it.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Flite
Not really. If you've used clays in the past and your car's finish is horrible, chances are the cheap clay is partially to blame. Or... you were expecting the clay to help make the surface shinier.. which it won't really do. it just removes contaminants so that your polisher can do a better job and your wax/sealant can adhere better

If you are as absolutely anal retentive as I am about your paint, you probably haven't been impressed with clay because..... well you car didn't need it.
Yup.

My Si needed it. I went thru 2 and 1/2 clay bars on it when I bought it.

I appreciate all the help fellas.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

Five Speedin is an unknown quantity at this point

What was Gavin doing that made this happen?
That Nova is so clean.
The word you were looking for was clone not clown, clown.
Kidding, kidding.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
HHIC

Here's your product:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/elastic_..._202_180gr.htm

It's a very, very light clay. It should be enough to get any of the overspray off, but if you use it properly with a quality spray detailer, it won't damage the surface at all. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Flite; 04-11-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

UHOH. Yea this thing is a PRESINE car. I'd imagine, like you said, he wasn't happy. We all know you'll end up getting it fixed right like you always do lol

O yea sorry for the lack of advice.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I have a porter cable buffer if you wanted to use it....

Quick Reply: Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.