Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.

Originally Posted by Flite
Here's your product:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/elastic_..._202_180gr.htm

It's a very, very light clay. It should be enough to get any of the overspray off, but if you use it properly with a quality spray detailer, it won't damage the surface at all. Let me know how it goes.
I'll check it out. Thanks man.
Originally Posted by Five Speedin
What was Gavin doing that made this happen?
That Nova is so clean.
The word you were looking for was clone not clown, clown.
Kidding, kidding.
I know, I pulled up the thread and saw that.

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
UHOH. Yea this thing is a PRESINE car. I'd imagine, like you said, he wasn't happy. We all know you'll end up getting it fixed right like you always do lol

O yea sorry for the lack of advice.
Yah, he wasn't happy.

Originally Posted by travisnd
I have a porter cable buffer if you wanted to use it....
I have a couple buffers at work. I'm not looking to use a buffer on the car. The finish is perfect right now. I'll just try a soft clay to remove the over-spray. You can't see the overspray, but you can feel it.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Banned

qualityauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past

don't risk this paintjob on the advice of these guys telling you to buy some cheap over the counter product or a cheap buffer that is going to ruin the paint. There are better products from MTI and Re-clean, which specilize in products for detailers and dealers. These companies are both in Virginia Beach, so if you want to do this, use their stuff. They both have chemists on site who make these products, and you can get a specific product for your problem from them. If he spent that kind of money, and the car really means that much, then spend a little more money and get a professional to do it right. First, if they mess it up, they will have to fix it. If you mess it up listening to all this advice then who is going to pay for it? The best detailers in town are :

Will 757-672-1557 , used to own one of the most successful detail shops in town, semi-retired from the business, but will do work from his home.

Troy 757-513-8073 , owns a detailing shop on Virginia Beach Blvd near janaf mall. Was taught everything he knows from working for Will.

I've been detailing cars myself for over 28 years. I own two bodyshops, so if you mess this up, you can come by and i'll fix it. Or just bring the car by so i can see it and give you some advice.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

I'd use 20 grit sandpaper first....

j/k...good luck with the car..it sounds like it looks great
Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by qualityauto
don't risk this paintjob on the advice of these guys telling you to buy some cheap over the counter product or a cheap buffer that is going to ruin the paint. There are better products from MTI and Re-clean, which specilize in products for detailers and dealers. These companies are both in Virginia Beach, so if you want to do this, use their stuff. They both have chemists on site who make these products, and you can get a specific product for your problem from them. If he spent that kind of money, and the car really means that much, then spend a little more money and get a professional to do it right. First, if they mess it up, they will have to fix it. If you mess it up listening to all this advice then who is going to pay for it? The best detailers in town are :

Will 757-672-1557 , used to own one of the most successful detail shops in town, semi-retired from the business, but will do work from his home.

Troy 757-513-8073 , owns a detailing shop on Virginia Beach Blvd near janaf mall. Was taught everything he knows from working for Will.

I've been detailing cars myself for over 28 years. I own two bodyshops, so if you mess this up, you can come by and i'll fix it. Or just bring the car by so i can see it and give you some advice.
There's no question that you're best bet is to take it to a good professional detailer. I think the advice given was in the event that he wanted to be a do-it-yourselfer.

Just be careful who you go to as a "professional detailer". They're not all that great.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:25 AM
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

Jarrod, you have my number if you have any questions. But like others have stated, the state of the paint is a reflection of the products you use.

Dont use cheap supplies....
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

rexrunner rexrunner rexrunner

I agree with FLITE on the ADAM's clay bar and lubricant. Anything that you use is most likely gonna swirl the paint, sorry to say. Best of luck with it. The good thing is that it sounds like the car has a lot of wax on it (hopefully) and that will make the overspray easier to get off.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered member

User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020 User 102020

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
a PRESINE car
o ya
Old 04-13-2008, 03:26 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by qualityauto

I appreciate the offer. If anything happens to the car, we'll take it back to the fella who wetsanded and buffed the car when it was first painted.

Originally Posted by NFCstang
I'd use 20 grit sandpaper first....

j/k...good luck with the car..it sounds like it looks great
. If he'd let me drive it, I'd have Ritz or someone take pictures of it. The car is very nice.
Originally Posted by Flite
There's no question that you're best bet is to take it to a good professional detailer. I think the advice given was in the event that he wanted to be a do-it-yourselfer.

Just be careful who you go to as a "professional detailer". They're not all that great.
Yah. My stepfather has asked if I could do it. I told him if he bought the supplies, then I'd do it. And with the weather, I haven't had a chance to back it out of the garage and get to it.

Originally Posted by Chris G.
Jarrod, you have my number if you have any questions. But like others have stated, the state of the paint is a reflection of the products you use.

Dont use cheap supplies....
Yes sir. What would you recommend? So far, I have my heart set on a couple different companies.

Originally Posted by rexrunner
I agree with FLITE on the ADAM's clay bar and lubricant. Anything that you use is most likely gonna swirl the paint, sorry to say. Best of luck with it. The good thing is that it sounds like the car has a lot of wax on it (hopefully) and that will make the overspray easier to get off.
Yup. He waxes the car after EVERY wash. Meguiars gold class soap and a Meguiars Carnuba wax.

Originally Posted by Cman, Dude.
o ya
Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

rexrunner rexrunner rexrunner

Let us know how it turns out bro. If you need any more help just let me know.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:04 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Originally Posted by Cman, Dude.
o ya
haha I saw that after I did it and didn't feel like editing.

Quick Reply: Detailers. Flim Flam and others. Come in please.