Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dyeing my interior

Old 04-27-2007, 11:41 AM
R E U P Gang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door
Default Re: Dyeing my interior

Im redoing n accord I picked up and using Duplicolor interior paint. its coming out damn good for a pretty messed up interior so I imagine a decent one would come out even better
Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Murphyd311
Couldn't hurt to look for a wrecked one, even if it's not black you can use it as back up if you don't like your paint job.
ya ill probly get a junk piece to try it out on first. Like i said this is definetly not a uncommon practice in the SN95 world. I think as long as i prep corectly i should be fine. Ill definetly keep everyone up to date when i do it since it seems to be a point of contraverse.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered member

.eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric.

Try using SEM products vice Duplicolor or other brands that you can find at Wal-mart/K-mart. The landau black is very close to the OEM black finishes that you will find in many automobiles. You can get the SEM products at automotive paint shops or upholstery shops.

It is highly recommended that you thoroughly clean the plastics before you paint/dye them. Also lightly sanding down (scuffing) the pieces and applying an adhesion promoter is helpful. Preparation of the material is the key in any painting (or in this case, dyeing) application.

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
ya ill probly get a junk piece to try it out on first. Like i said this is definetly not a uncommon practice in the SN95 world. I think as long as i prep corectly i should be fine. Ill definetly keep everyone up to date when i do it since it seems to be a point of contraverse.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Would this stuff work, its spray for the vinyal and another one for the hard plastic. Its made by a mustang restoration site the most people say is very close to OEM.http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

I was also looking into getting this stuff, its more expensive about 20$ for 250mL spray can but it looks to be more of a dye rather then paint http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.a...uctID=VARIKOTE they have a product for vinyal and soft plastics as well as hard plastics.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:34 PM
srt-4s suck

blacksrt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
I hate the two tone tan and black scheme I have in my car right now and after pricing replacment parts for swaping the interior to straight black i decided that it was a little bit too much on the expensive side. On the site i was looking at the interior pieces i saw they also sell interior dye to dye the tan sections black. Anyone have any experiance doing this kind of work and have any info or suggestions on prepping and paint the interior pieces. I figure since im dyeing from a light tan color to black it shouldnt be too bad.
I watched an episode of "Trucks" Sunday and they painted a tan leather seat black. It actually came out good. All they did was sand the fabric, whipe it down with acetone (sp), put two coats of paint on it, then sanded it again to give it a more natural look.

Anyways, here is the link to the show: http://powerblocktv.com/sites/trucks...-06&ep_m=April

And the Dupli-color paint they used in also on that page.
Good luck.

Last edited by blacksrt; 04-30-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

that link doesn't work for me
Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 PM
srt-4s suck

blacksrt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by XCELR8
that link doesn't work for me
sorry, try it now.