Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

F-Body/LS1 people, enter please

Old 04-13-2007 | 06:35 PM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: F-Body/LS1 people, enter please

Originally Posted by WhiteSSP
Lol, like a dyno isnt guessing. I know how to drive my car, and I know that the car picked up alot of power going from a granatelli to a stock unported MAF. Why? Because anything other than stock sucks dick unless you're going to retune the car for the MAF.

I dont race at the dyno, I race at the track. If I'm going faster there, then whatever I changed is working better.
dude i'm not calling you a liar or doubting your findings, i'm merely stating that running a 1/4mi doesnt tell you how much power your car makes. there are lots of little things that affect you 1/4mi time, as compared to dyno #'s (which isnt guessing either).

why dont YOU just stick with your stock MAF and call things even and end this discussion?
Old 04-14-2007 | 04:33 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
dude i'm not calling you a liar or doubting your findings, i'm merely stating that running a 1/4mi doesnt tell you how much power your car makes. there are lots of little things that affect you 1/4mi time, as compared to dyno #'s (which isnt guessing either).

why dont YOU just stick with your stock MAF and call things even and end this discussion?

Actaully you can get a relative value for power that your car is making using your 1/4 mile MPH. That value changes very little unless you screw up big time. Of course things like weather are factors when at the track but if you switch MAF's and you pick up 3 mph on the same day, you have gained some power. How much power you would have to put it on a dyno to find out.
Old 04-14-2007 | 05:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JDM74
Actaully you can get a relative value for power that your car is making using your 1/4 mile MPH. That value changes very little unless you screw up big time. Of course things like weather are factors when at the track but if you switch MAF's and you pick up 3 mph on the same day, you have gained some power.

How much power you would have to put it on a dyno to find out.
what????

i mean that you have a much HIGHER probability of error with a 1/4mi run than on a dyno. on a dyno, all you do is strap down, and then slowly run your speed up.

a 1/4mi run, wow, you have to get your tires to hook, you have to shift PERFECTLY, what if the wind is blowing??just suggesting the possible errors.
Old 04-14-2007 | 12:37 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

what????

i mean that you have a much HIGHER probability of error with a 1/4mi run than on a dyno. on a dyno, all you do is strap down, and then slowly run your speed up.

a 1/4mi run, wow, you have to get your tires to hook, you have to shift PERFECTLY, what if the wind is blowing??just suggesting the possible errors.
Actually the mph on a 1/4 mile run is just a figure generated from the last 100ft. Your luanch has minimal effect over it, and is typically on average within 2 mph. If consistancy was a concern it is quite easy to compare runs with simialr 60fts, and see how much of an increase was genereated in mph. I can give an excellent example in which you would see this.
It is a known fact that not all factory throttle bodies opened 100%. In fact most were lucky to achieve 94% opening. Of course I milled the throttle stop, reset the throttle position sensor and could now achieve 100% throttle opening. My trap speeds before averaged 110.7mph, after the throttle stop I was hitting 113.5mph. Now was that a total gain of 3mph from that stop? No, some of that was weather related conditions. But the car was consistantly faster, I was still hitting traps above 111mph-112mph.
A dyno on the other hand cannot duplicate track conditions. One of those conditions would be moving air, a fan does not have the ability to simulate this. You may not even notice a gain on the dyno, yet trap speeds are obviuosly better which in turn means more power is being made.
Old 04-14-2007 | 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BigBake
Your luanch has minimal effect over it, and is typically on average within 2 mph.
is this supposed to be common knowledge, or is there any actual research that your launch has minimal effect over your trap speed? I just remember how many fouls people have because of their launch.

A dyno on the other hand cannot duplicate track conditions. One of those conditions would be moving air, a fan does not have the ability to simulate this. You may not even notice a gain on the dyno, yet trap speeds are obviuosly better which in turn means more power is being made.
your right, a dyno cannot duplicate track conditions. the only difference between a dyno and a track is consistency. Consistency cannot be guaranteed at the track. who's to say that the "air flow" into and around your engine and car isnt better from one run to the next? on the other hand, if you take your car to the dyno, each pull is utilizing the EXACT same conditions as the previous pull. I mean, this is the reason why the majority of tuning (PCMs specifically) are done on the dyno, because of the consistency of the "conditions."

bigbake, what your best et time? just curious.
Old 04-14-2007 | 08:08 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Just FYI, I ran consistently within 3 HUNDREDTHS of my best time with both the Stock MAF and the stock descreened ported MAF.

The stock MAF was consistently 2 tenths faster every single time.
Old 04-15-2007 | 02:50 AM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

is this supposed to be common knowledge, or is there any actual research that your launch has minimal effect over your trap speed? I just remember how many fouls people have because of their launch.
I guess when you run 22 passes back to back you get an idea of how your 60ft influences your trap speeds. That is my personal experience, but I have also read that your 60ft is only a small part of your trap speed. It is well knonw that the 60ft is a very large part of your ET. I know for a fact that if I spin a little I can see an increase in trap speed, if I dead hook I will see a slight drop in trap. You can take all of your passes and drop them in Excel and get averages.

your right, a dyno cannot duplicate track conditions. the only difference between a dyno and a track is consistency. Consistency cannot be guaranteed at the track. who's to say that the "air flow" into and around your engine and car isnt better from one run to the next? on the other hand, if you take your car to the dyno, each pull is utilizing the EXACT same conditions as the previous pull. I mean, this is the reason why the majority of tuning (PCMs specifically) are done on the dyno, because of the consistency of the "conditions."
The only force that would change between passes is wind speed, all other conditions are the same. I typically picked days in which it was not all that windy, not much fun dealing with cross winds and or strong head winds. When I was speaking of airflow I am talking about the air that feeds your engine, these cars are for the most part bottom feeders, and depend upon the air being forced up from the front air dam. They also work on the principle of a low pressure area under the car.
As far as other weather factors, I always write down the DA for that day. So I have an idea of how much weather effected the cars run. You can also see this on night in which the temperature drops. You might pick up a tenth or two, and you will also see a mph or two through a test in tune at night. That is the beauty of a track run, I know the exact conditions that inlfuence the cars performance.

bigbake, what your best et time? just curious.
With stock motor: 11.87@113.5mph (1.59) with a 150 wet shot on stock motor sprayin 2nd gear and up 11.32@122mph (1.62). Unfortunately it was the only run I got on the 150 shot, the very next run I cracked the stock flexplate in three spots.
Old 04-16-2007 | 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

The MAF can be de screened on an F-body. The screen was designed to straighten airflow before entering the metering device. This MAF was designed for other vehicle uses that typically had a 90 degree elbow which tumbled the air before entering the MAF. On F-body and Y-body there is no need for it. In fact on the LS6 engines the screen was no longer there. Are you going to pick up a huge gain by removing it? No, but it does allow more air which is metered, to flow. Do not port it and do not put MAF ends on it. Just pull the screen and be done with it.

+1

I tuned a car about a week ago that had the LTFTs jacked all up, +12 to +18 ALL OVER THE BOARD.... I was like "dude, WTF have you done to your MAF?"... driver: "oh yeah, I have ported MAF ends on it...."

The thing is.... right after the swap, before fuel trims had re-learned and had a chance to lock high at WOT, it would appear to make more HP on the track OR dyno, as it REALLY leaned out the overly-rich factory calibration. So to credit these MAF ends with making power is a bit erroneous as the tune would have done the same without fucking the car's fueling overall.