Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Factory Five and Subaru ...... What!?!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Factory Five and Subaru ...... What!?!

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
not gonna lie, i'll probably build one in the 2nd round -- just not the first.
I'm still eyeballing their '33. Without the ugly hard top.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Registered member

03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib 03tib

This car looks awesome. If I were going to do it I would get the Sti drivetrain for the 6 speed and just because 300 hp + 2000lbs (with driver) would be enough to have plenty of fun
Old 05-16-2012, 05:09 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I don't see how case flex would be a big issue seeing as how it's not transmitting longitudinal torque through it.

Isn't it a kit? I'm assuming that it is sold as a roller or as a complete kit minus the drivetrain. So couldn't you choose the drivetrain of your choice? Buy the kit and then decide if you want to spend the money on the STi drivetrain or just the regular WRX stuff. It seems to me that this is just a test mule that's focused more on the chassis than the drivetrain, so why would they spend the money on STi parts at this stage in the game?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Originally Posted by Reloaded
It's kind of cool.

The setup reminds me of those used by some kit car makers to mount an LS1 to a Porsche transaxle.
Factory Five has one of those too, it's their GTM Supercar

The big deal with this kit is that's it's slated to come in under $10K plus the donor cost.

Last edited by Niburu; 05-16-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Flite
I don't see how case flex would be a big issue seeing as how it's not transmitting longitudinal torque through it.
The drive and driven shafts are supported at the ends, and the driven shaft is hollow. The center diff is in the rear of the trans case, and the pinion shaft for the front drivetrain goes from the center diff through the hollow driven shaft to the front of the case. So because of those support points, there are some twisting forces with the rear drivetrain output removed. Twisting shouldn't be as much as with the transfer gears and rear shaft output attached though, no.

Originally Posted by Flite
Isn't it a kit? I'm assuming that it is sold as a roller or as a complete kit minus the drivetrain. So couldn't you choose the drivetrain of your choice? Buy the kit and then decide if you want to spend the money on the STi drivetrain or just the regular WRX stuff. It seems to me that this is just a test mule that's focused more on the chassis than the drivetrain, so why would they spend the money on STi parts at this stage in the game?
The only sticky parts would be things like the suspension uprights and what type of hub/bearing they are using, and whether that would accept the STi axles, etc. If they're using uprights from the donor car, an STi drivetrain would be a direct swap. If they're custom uprights, it isn't going to be that easy. Need more pictures or specs to be able to say...

Edit: I see STi front control arms in the pictures and what looks to be a stock-ish rear link setup, so I'm assuming the OEM uprights will be used.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-16-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Forcibly Repped

official track version from FFR
Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Looks like someone there is a Forgestar fan.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Forcibly Repped

they apparently made a video with some of the go-kart test footage

http://youtu.be/uN_jVWlSPmk
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Forcibly Repped

tomorrow should prove enlightening

Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Forcibly Repped

Back from the grave!
Really nothing new happend for the last few years other than Factory 5 ramping up their production of the 818 -they're building one a day right now.
They are going to be offering a coupe version this summer with a redesigned front fascia.
All and all I thougt it was worth mentioning.
There should be a standard 818S showing up at the Cars & Coffee Richmond later this spring.

In January, we showed you our prototype shape for the new 818C removable hard top. Since then, production molds have been built and the tech/R&D team has been building an all-new car that will serve as the first 818C model. Here are some photos of the first part out of the mold. We have decided to make some minor changes to the part, but these pictures give a good idea of what the final shape will be. The production car will be unveiled at our summer Open House on June 13th here in Wareham, MA.

Pricing is still not finalized, but will be announced at our Open House when we introduce the car.

The 818C shape was made by Jim in R&D and John in Shaping

The hard top is a removable part that replace the rear deck panel and includes a glass hatch and glass quarter windows. The glass hatch in the photo above is the plug that was made for the glass molds. DOT compliant glass is being made by our supplier.

The 818C follows the 818R and the 818S models. One of the biggest advantages of the 818 is that, with a body that is made of smaller panels, we are able to change body styles with a minimum of effort. This makes the 818 a very flexible platform, and a fun car to build because it can be upgraded and changed easily.

Rear spoiler options are not finalized yet.

Almost everyone who has visited the company remarks how the 818 is much more dramatic and aggressive in real live versus in photographs. The 818C has a very aggressive stance.

The 818C hard top is designed to retro-fit to all current 818S models. It will not fit the 818R.

The 818C design includes the following features:
Power side windows
Rear quarter glass and side-vented engine bay
Hinged rear glass hatch
Inner bulkhead with rear window
Inner hard top linear with air intake duct to engine bay
Comes with front windshield glass

Dave Smith, FFR 001
President
Factory Five Racing

Quick Reply: Factory Five and Subaru ...... What!?!