Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Old 05-10-2010 | 10:53 AM
Bootlegger

brew engineer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Yep... tell that to the thousands of people who race mazdas every weekend... you're definition of a sports car is off base.
People race many different cars on the track, but that does not make them true sports cars. Thousands of people also race Mustangs on road courses, so they must be sports cars as well.
Old 05-10-2010 | 10:57 AM
Bootlegger

Originally Posted by Flite
Man.... I really don't want to have this conversation again.

S2000s and Miatas are two of the purest sports car produced in a LONG time.
And I will still disagree.
BTW, your definition covers half the sport compacts out there as well.
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:02 AM
Bootlegger

Originally Posted by yanko 15
i think ford has the potential to do it..obviously
but they've never had something wuite like the vette and that poses a huge risk for them..that quite frankly..right now isnt the best time to risk a chance like that
it could be a huge success or a huge bust
I don't think anyone in Detroit should be dumping cash into sports car development until their stocks are up to a safe level. I mean Ford is doing a lot better, but $11 a share is still nothing to be ecstatic about. But my opinion may mean jack. After all, my old company is great at making bad decisions in the market (like marrying Chrysler).
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:06 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by brew engineer
And I will still disagree.
BTW, your definition covers half the sport compacts out there as well.
I agree with your statement that sports cars don't typically make the manufacturer money. Chevy makes a lot more off of the cobalt than they do with the corvette.

However, to say that an s2000, a mustang and such are not sports cars is not true. They may not be the fastest things, and may not look the best, but they are indeed, sports cars. They arn't practical, they have a sports car heritage (especially the mustang) and they are designed with power/suspension/performance in mind, unlike the compact cars you discuss.

Sports car carrys a pretty broad definition, in fact the word "sport" in general does.

BTW I am typically a mustang hater, but I still consider the gt and up to be a "sports" car, especially the newer ones.
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:06 AM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

I don't think anyone in Detroit should be dumping cash into sports car development until their stocks are up to a safe level. I mean Ford is doing a lot better, but $11 a share is still nothing to be ecstatic about. But my opinion may mean jack. After all, my old company is great at making bad decisions in the market (like marrying Chrysler).
my thoughts exactly ha you just took it more in depth
but i do feel if ford could create something with the same performance platform as say..the zr1, it would be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:08 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Nah.... Mustang isn't a sports car.... it's a pony car aka psuedo muscle car.
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:10 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Stupid ponys.
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:18 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

LOL @ S2000. The S2000 is not a sports car. Nor is the miata a sports car. They are Sport Compacts. Yes, the Vette and the Viper are sports cars, but they are far from being affordable to 90% of the population. Porsche? They are borderline exotic. Most people in America are not going to buy a sports car, so companies like Ford are better off using their resources for building smaller, safer, and more fuel efficient cars. The recession is far from over, so dumping development money into a sports car is just not a safe plan. Sure, we the car loving people of this country will be sad about it. But in the end, it will keep the company making money. It isn't about what we want, it is about what will sell the best.
This statement is not only recockulous, but has the potential to send this great thread to SPO.

I'm curious; do you have any facts to support your claims?
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:20 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Let's not derail this Mustang thread too much by talking about sports cars (which a Mustang isn't btw)
Old 05-10-2010 | 11:32 AM
Bootlegger

Originally Posted by Fried_Chicken
This statement is not only recockulous, but has the potential to send this great thread to SPO.

I'm curious; do you have any facts to support your claims?
Fact: S2000 and Miata are both underpowered in stock form. This is actually the first time I have ever heard them mentioned in that category, but this is also a forum loaded with Honda owners.

Back to the topic...

Quick Reply: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0