Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Old 05-11-2010, 05:51 AM
S a D u B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW
Default Re: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Originally Posted by Flite
There are more sports cars than what I listed. That isn't the end-all list.

AWD ≠ Sports car
So an awd 911 tt is not a sports car?

Really?

Over 500hp, worthless backseat, can be convertible, rear engine, fairly small, and extremely sporty looking. You guys are starting to not make any sense.

Last edited by JROW; 05-11-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by JROW
So an awd 911 tt is not a sports car?

Really?
That is correct.

Now.... GT3 or GT2, that may be a different story. Some people who use the absolute purest form of the "Sports Car" definition won't even consider those sports cars. They're not on a purpose built platform and the top doesn't come off. For instance, if Chevrolet made a 500hp version of the Camaro convertible and pulled the backseat, it still wouldn't be a sports car. It would just be a 500hp version of the Camaro convertible without a back seat.

However.... In my eyes, all versions of the 911 are based on what is essentially a sports car. The base 911 hits all the sports car buttons with the exception of the removable top and back seat. The turbo is based on that, not the other way around. 911s are one of the few cars in my eyes that are tough to define.

Now we're getting in to my opinion though. To the original argument.... even by the purest definition of "sports car" S2000s and Miatas are sports cars. No opinion needed there.

Last edited by Flite; 05-11-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Bootlegger

brew engineer has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by JROW
Yall are getting super technical about the def of a sports car. I have always considered most (not all) "gt" cars to be sports cars, just a variation.

To me a sports car is a very broad definition, but a miata and s2k obviously qualify. I mean if it has power, and is used for racing in road, drag, auto-x or whatever, looks sporty, and isn't your practical economy car (2 door, 2 seater or barely backseat) then I think of it as a sports car.

I have just always thought it to be that way. Oh well.
That was sort of my point in starting the argument (I was just wording it in a way to piss people off). If we are going to discount a Mustang as a sports car, then you are getting really technical. My reference was a Miata, because the modern sports car needs power and speed to go with handling. You either go with a broad spectrum or get technical. If a Miata is the definition of sports car, then Corvette and Viper do not qualify. They may be powerful and handle well, but they are far from light or agile.
I also just wanted to get Cobra worked up, since he only seems to have negative comments towards the Mustang.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by brew engineer
If a Miata is the definition of sports car, then Corvette and Viper do not qualify. They may be powerful and handle well, but they are far from light or agile.
You should go on that show America's Got Talent.... you're exceptional at talking out of your ass. Agility is inherent in "good handling"... a car doesn't have to be light.... it just needs bigger contact patches
Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Bootlegger

brew engineer has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
You should go on that show America's Got Talent.... you're exceptional at talking out of your ass. Agility is inherent in "good handling"... a car doesn't have to be light.... it just needs bigger contact patches
You never admit you are wrong, which is great. However, you also can't tell when people are giving you shit on purpose.
BTW, handling and agility are not exactly the same. You should know that as a person who races.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Since when does the word inherent a synonym for same?

Funny that you get owned on here and you revert to "Haha guyz I was just trollin' ya'll!111!!!1!!!"
Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong

Mustang = Pony Car. Biggish motor in a medium size vehicle. just like the Camaro and the older chargers. those cars like the corvette, viper and 599 are performance/super cars. IMO anything that can get to 185+ mph should be considered a performance/supercar.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Fanboi

really..... so if I put enough power in a fucking Civic to do 185 it's now a "supercar"? GTFO with your stuipid generalizations.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong

really..... so if I put enough power in a fucking Civic to do 185 it's now a "supercar"? GTFO with your stuipid generalizations.
it'll take a hell of a lot of performance to get a civic to 185 thus making it a performance car. And i said in my opinion, unless of course you dont know what IMO meansthen i excuse you.

and isnt putting any car in any type of category a type of gerealization?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Sure why not... If he wants to call a 185MPH civic a supercar, so be it. First get one there that can stay on the ground and have any kind of control at that speed for any extended period of time. Then we will talk.

Quick Reply: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0