Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
formerly Black_Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken
Default Re: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Sure, but you don't need pushrods to do that with proper engineering. See the naturally aspirated Mercedes 6.2 liter making 464lb-ft or the boosted 6 liter making 738lb-ft (starting at 2000rpm).

Then again, why focus on horsepower? When building a car from the ground up I'll take horsepower with appropriate gearing...then again I'll take an independent rear suspension too.
can you say....HONDA?

end threadjack
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by DoingOK
This is good news.......kinda like finding out that my great aunt had successful hip surgery. She should be better and faster now.
wish I could rep you right now
Old 12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by Boost-box
God damnitt For, get off your asses and make a fucking pushrod motor already. Chevy and dodge dont seem to have a problem with ti.

I fucking hate OHC motors.
Ford does though. I don't have a problem with pushrod motors, but Ford has dropped that design now. There are ups and downs for both designs. I actually like the fact that instead of trying to build a Ford replica of the Chevy or Dodge offerings, they choose to pave their own road. It's smaller, lighter, and more refined than the other two. With this motor, it's got the power back it should have. I think with this next GT, Ford wins the 2010 special olympics with ease.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by POS DSM
yes...the SVO
And several 79-83 cars were turbo 4 cylinders but these were much less powerful versions of the 2.3T found in the SVO.

The very first Mustang concept car was a mid engine 1.5 liter V4. Bean counters thought it would be cheaper to build it on a modified Falcon platform.

The Mustang was also named after the fighter not the horse much like the English Spitfire sportscar was named after the fighter, but nobody got the reference so Ford went with the house.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Why the hell would you prefer a pushrod?
Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
Pans full of Torque.
This. and a few other reasons.

Sure, but you don't need pushrods to do that with proper engineering. See the naturally aspirated Mercedes 6.2 liter making 464lb-ft or the boosted 6 liter making 738lb-ft (starting at 2000rpm).

Then again, why focus on horsepower? When building a car from the ground up I'll take horsepower with appropriate gearing...then again I'll take an independent rear suspension too.
I personally HATE working on OHC motors. Pushrods are way easier to work on. and I know that alot of the Cobra guys switch out thier IRS for solid axles.... says something.

Originally Posted by Flite
Ford does though. I don't have a problem with pushrod motors, but Ford has dropped that design now. There are ups and downs for both designs. I actually like the fact that instead of trying to build a Ford replica of the Chevy or Dodge offerings, they choose to pave their own road. It's smaller, lighter, and more refined than the other two. With this motor, it's got the power back it should have. I think with this next GT, Ford wins the 2010 special olympics with ease.
But its still ugly as fuck. So yes, it should win the retard games easily.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Boost-box
I personally HATE working on OHC motors. Pushrods are way easier to work on. and I know that alot of the Cobra guys switch out thier IRS for solid axles.... says something.
Mostly what that says is Ford wanted to build an IRS with very few engineering dollars and made a poor product.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM
HHIC

Mostly what that says is Ford wanted to build an IRS with very few engineering dollars and made a poor product.
Bingo.

They fit a shitty IRS design on the car that couldn't turn worth a shit, and couldn't launch worth a shit either.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Poop Ban-nana owns U

BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme BCisme

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
Pans full of Torque.
amazing.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

Why the hell would you prefer a pushrod?
because my 346 pushrod is smaller and lighter than the 281 modular lol

(if i remember correctly anyway....)

as somebody who started out as a ford person, i gotta say that i am extremely happy to see them do something decent with the mustang. i havent been impressed with one since the termi, and maybe the gt500.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by rallen
If any of you want any FORD CHEVY MERCURY OR TOYOTA product NEW let me know, I give strait invoice to anyone that comes to me personally from here or anywhere from that matter lol. I am about units not gross.
This is my new sig....

Quick Reply: Finally 2011 Mustang will bring back 5.0