Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Ford to cut up to 5,000 white-collar jobs

Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
Default Re: Ford to cut up to 5,000 white-collar jobs

Originally Posted by blaxican25
Why?

Really, who cares about the rotary? Their V8's make way more power.
There are plenty that care about the rotary.

I'd like to see what could happen with a motor that is capable of making 500hp with a single turbo and a MBC. The seals are the weak point.. and there might be more for some capable engineers to work out (electrical). I'm not talking about the 13b either, the 20b is where it is at.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Ford. Well, at least they circled the problem......

Last edited by blah; 01-25-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:07 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Enigma
There are plenty that care about the rotary.

I'd like to see what could happen with a motor that is capable of making 500hp with a single turbo and a MBC. The seals are the weak point.. and there might be more for some capable engineers to work out (electrical). I'm not talking about the 13b either, the 20b is where it is at.
There are Ford V8's making well over 500hp on a single turbo. While there are many who might care about the Rotary, Ford's V8's are the motors with more potential for less money.

I've seen more fast Ford V8's than I've seen fast rotaries. Do you think that's an accident?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:08 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Yeah, I've seen that, but isn't that the case among most manufacturers? Not even cars, but just in general?
I've never seen any other automotive company go to the extremes that Ford has. I'll admit I don't keep up with other industries and I'm sure there are similar shady practices, but I hope nobody else has stooped as low as Ford to make a buck.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave22
I've never seen any other automotive company go to the extremes that Ford has. I'll admit I don't keep up with other industries and I'm sure there are similar shady practices, but I hope nobody else has stooped as low as Ford to make a buck.
One day, remind me to tell you the story of Love Canal.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 AM
throwbAcura

but I hope nobody else has stooped as low as Ford to make a buck.
Now as I read that it seems pretty naive.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM

There are Ford V8's making well over 500hp on a single turbo. While there are many who might care about the Rotary, Ford's V8's are the motors with more potential for less money.

I've seen more fast Ford V8's than I've seen fast rotaries. Do you think that's an accident?

In a V8 how many moving parts do they have?

How long have V8's been around and how long have they had tuning and designing them?

How long has Ford had the rotary?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM
throwbAcura

One day, remind me to tell you the story of Love Canal.
That is a sad story, but it's hard to tell in that short summary who is liable. It looks like Hooker Chemical Company obviously cut corners sealing it off, but they sold the land for $1 so I'm pretty sure the city knew what they were buying. So is Niagra Falls to blame?

With Ford there was a clear, planned process. If these were the facts laid down before you:

-This product, if put into production as is, WILL kill some of our customers.
-Slightly redesigning this product to make it drastically safer woulld likely cost more than paying off the families of our dead customers.

What would you do?

Ford has a proven record of chosing the "let some customers die" route. And it has always hurt them in the end. Why do they continue to operate this way?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:33 AM

That is a sad story, but it's hard to tell in that short summary who is liable. It looks like Hooker Chemical Company obviously cut corners sealing it off, but they sold the land for $1 so I'm pretty sure the city knew what they were buying. So is Niagra Falls to blame?

With Ford there was a clear, planned process. If these were the facts laid down before you:

-This product, if put into production as is, WILL kill some of our customers.
-Slightly redesigning this product to make it drastically safer woulld likely cost more than paying off the families of our dead customers.

What would you do?

Ford has a proven record of chosing the "let some customers die" route. And it has always hurt them in the end. Why do they continue to operate this way?
Dumb Americans (as foriegners would say).
Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 AM
throwbAcura

Originally Posted by Enigma
Dumb Americans (as foriegners would say).
Not really. I don't know of any other American automotive company who decided to release a deadly product. And what about this:

When GM realized their full-size trucks could explode if hit a cretain way, they recalled ALL of them and fixed the problem.

When Explorers started flipping (Ford knew this would happen before the first production Explorer was ever built), Ford blamed the tires. The tire company then completely revamped itself and came out stronger than ever although there was nothing wrong with their tires in the first place. Meanwhile, those Explorers are STILL flipping to this day. No recalls.

And that's just one example.

Quick Reply: Ford to cut up to 5,000 white-collar jobs