Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

GSR or B16 swap talk

Old 08-28-2009 | 10:13 AM
Registered Member

JaeDMCIV has disabled reputation
Default Re: GSR or B16 swap talk

dude good looks, im pretty set on a gsr swap right now, but am still stuck on the emmisions stuff.
so if your car is older than the engine you'll be good? so if my civics a 99 (OBD2) i need a 99 or later gsr motor to still pass emissions?
the only reason im concerned about emissions so much is the fact i dont have a way "around" the test if you catch my drift....
and since i dont really have the knowledge or resources to do a swap myself , could anyone recommend a shop in the NOVA area that does good work?
Ive heard of JEI and NOYAN but would like some feedback before diving into the deepend with this project.
Old 08-28-2009 | 02:35 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BentValve
B16 gets my vote. Cheapers, abundant and responds well to turbo.
i agree 100% with this guy, my b16 made 312hp on 11 lbs and i had boost leaks out the ass, my stock ass b16 with type r regrinds never lost to a gsr, and my gsr integra was ass slow until i sprayed on it, im looking for a b16 as we speak.
Old 08-29-2009 | 02:46 PM
ben
Registered Member

ben has disabled reputation

^^^

I agree with this one hundred percent my boosted b16 made 275 on 7 pounds on a 50 trim and all it had was arp headstuds and a cometic headgasket, and that motor had alot more potential. Plus if you get the whole dropout you can do b20 or ls vtec easily and you have an awesome tranny to match the motor
Old 08-29-2009 | 07:55 PM
Registered Member

JaeDMCIV has disabled reputation

wait wait wait.... so ya'll sayn the b16 is boost happy? how much boost could u do safely on stock internals?
for the gsr ive been hearing that on stock internals you wouldnt want to go past like 9psi
that would still make a quick ass car tho dont get me wrong but, with stock internals which would be the better option for boost?
Old 10-05-2009 | 10:52 AM
its stock I Promise

morenolindo is a jewel in the roughmorenolindo is a jewel in the roughmorenolindo is a jewel in the roughmorenolindo is a jewel in the rough

Hey man i have a 99 EK hatch with a 99 GSR motor and boy what a pain in the ass this motor is. everything that has to do with a gsr is costly and only direct fitment with parts. on a b16 parts are cheaper and easier to find. the gsr motor is a great motor but for auto cross i would go with somthing more reliable like a B16. you will be breaking stuff and in the long run you will save allot of money.
Old 10-06-2009 | 02:59 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Power is not needed for auto cross and you will be just as fast with either motor because you will have to learn how to drive first (don't take that personally). I would do a b16 and change the final drive in the trans. If I had to build another motor for my track car it would be a b16 (if I could get the weight down but I can't so it will probably be a K20)
Old 10-14-2009 | 12:14 PM
Registered member

J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I.

I think i have a solution for your B16 and B18 problem... The money is not as big a difference as you might think now. With the B16's becoming few and far between the prices are going up... The GSR however being that they were priced so much higher and people were buying less the price has gone down... I could get you a complete GSR swap now for 2500.00 with everything! B16's... are up to 2250.00 now... so you make your choice, but if it was the money I wouldn't let $250.00 hold me back from a much better all aroud power plant. Just an opion. If you are interested give me a call and I will set you up.

J.E.I. Phil
800-964-9904