Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: shoez's New Ride
2006 BMW M6
28.68%
2006 Mercedes Benz CL65 AMG
13.97%
2006 Mercedes Benz G500
2.21%
2007 Range Rover Supercharged
22.06%
Other (Please specify)
33.09%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Help shoez Pick His Dream Car

Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
VIVA LA FRONTERA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez
Default Re: Help shoez Pick His Dream Car

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Kid... you arent listening to people whove been there done that. Sure youre excited about the prospect of getting a kickass car for zero work... fine, yes most would be, but not everyone would come and post on a forum to discuss it when its not a done deal. You dont have a full ride offer and havent accepted anything.

You mention Drexel... have you ever been up there? You ever been in/around Philly? Your car will get fucking destroyed. Your cool ass car will become annoying after the wow/cool wears off.

Nobody will care about your car up there... seriously... get a college car and get your dad to buy you a killer pad. One of my suite-mats in college cam from a family with a net worth over $20 mil... his sophmore year his father bought a $700k new-construction house over by W&Ms law school for him and his buddies to live in for their college years. Place was freaking awesome... parties were great.

One problem... dude and friends were heavy into drugs... one day Dad made an unplanned visit from Cali.... just to surprise and check up on them... assuming he expected what was going on. House got sold and dude-bro got cut-off.

But again... you do what you want, but you came on here asking for advice and some of us are trying to give it to you to allow you to have a kick-ass time in college.
Originally Posted by tiki240
side-note, if you are smart enough to get a full ride based on merit, you are smart enough to see the investment opportunities at hand now. mark my words, there are fortunes about to be made in the next 4-5 years. why not compromise? take half and buy something with some grunt and lux, and put the other half into some smart stocks. ride the wave and set yourself up for success.. you have alot of growing to do man, the next four years are going to be a trip no matter what path you take. dont jew yourself from the get-go.

and please. dont drive like a tard. theres a time and a place for everything.
Originally Posted by itsoverton
the assumption that all kids with wealthy parents don't work for shit is a bit off. sure, maybe a large percentage do... but there are plenty of people who work their asses off despite the lump in daddy's wallet.
I do appreciate well-thought out posts like these, thanks for taking the time to write coherent responses in the thread.

Brian- most of your points are indeed valid- I've been to Drexel's campus and it isn't exactly the place where I'd want to park my BMW. But if I can't discuss a topic like this on a forum for automotive enthusiasts, where else is there? Half the fun of picking out a car is throwing around options with people whose opinions you value, and that's all I wanted to do with this topic. All the members who posted stupid shit regarding my family's financial situation and how spoiled I may or may not be obviously missed the point.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

g230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these partsg230sport is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by itsoverton
the assumption that all kids with wealthy parents don't work for shit is a bit off. sure, maybe a large percentage do... but there are plenty of people who work their asses off despite the lump in daddy's wallet.
i never said all.

just 90% of kids that come from a wealthy family, or parents have $$$$ that i have met, dont do shit but sit around, and live off there parents. while i work all these hours, bust my knuckles open daily, and break my back just to earn a measly pay. and that satisfies me. sure, id love more. but you gotta take what you can get.

it just bothers me when i see kids like this, who want all these nice things, or already have them.. and they didnt truly WORK for them...

im done, everytime i see the first page of this thread, my stomach balls up.

i wish i had $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like so many other people have. but reality is, ill never have enough money to own any of those cars posted. nor would i want them.

/ rant
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
goon squad

funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder funder.bunder

i think op is just compensating for lacking somewhere else...

just sayin
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by g230sport
i never said all.

just 90% of kids that come from a wealthy family, or parents have $$$$ that i have met, dont do shit but sit around, and live off there parents. while i work all these hours, bust my knuckles open daily, and break my back just to earn a measly pay. and that satisfies me. sure, id love more. but you gotta take what you can get.

it just bothers me when i see kids like this, who want all these nice things, or already have them.. and they didnt truly WORK for them...

i wish i had $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like so many other people have. but reality is, ill never have enough money to own any of those cars posted. nor would i want them.

/ rant
there will always be people that didn't work for what they have. as long as they appreciate and don't take for granted what they have, I don't have a problem with them. snobby bishes that throw daddy's money at dooney and bourke and don't give a fuck about anything are what's irritating. and then there's the girls...
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

i never said all.

/ rant
Its not his fault that you chose a career path where you have to bust your knuckles and work long hours for little/no pay. Im sure you could have made other life choices to have a better outcome.

Plus dude is in highschool.... getting good grades is his job. Doing well in college is his job. Just because his parents were responsible enough to save to pay for his education makes him spoiled and lazy? Sounds like his dad threw this out there as motivation to not fuck up the end of his Senior year and get the full-ride... some people burn out the end of their senior year where a B+ vs. an A in one class can make or break you getting the scholarship or not. So if Pops will save $50k why not share it as a reward for the hard work?

Girl I went to school with had a brand new MB... she was going to some private music college in NY to the tune of $25k/yr. She switched to W&M and was in state for the last 2 years of school. Her father, figuring she saved him $50k, got her a nice little CLK. Doesnt mean she was lazy or spoiled.

If kid was handed a $50k car and got into school on Dads connections and fucked up and boozed/drugged and got kicked out only to have Dad get him back in etc. etc. then yeah.... thats ridiculous, but thats few and far between.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
VIVA LA FRONTERA

shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez shoez

Originally Posted by Dearhat
64 impala?
Would be dope as fuck and I actually thought about it, but I'd probably drive it even less than an M6 or whatever (depending on how much work was invested in it). I'd probably want one with a reinforced frame and a four pump set up. You know what a fully built '64 would cost?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
sccooopp

Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat

Originally Posted by shoez
Would be dope as fuck and I actually thought about it, but I'd probably drive it even less than an M6 or whatever (depending on how much work was invested in it). I'd probably want one with a reinforced frame and a four pump set up. You know what a fully built '64 would cost?
not a clue. but still would be a pretty cool car.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally Posted by shoez
You can drop 6 figures into an old custom without much trouble.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

there is some legitimate hating going on in this thread, and it kind of pisses me off.

dude, i agree with you totally!

i did enjoy my free ride while it lasted, i got good grades etc. but when my dad started telling me things were getting tough(bills, mortage, etc) i pretty much took it on my own to start working. its a concept most kids at my age(15.5 at the time) couldnt comprehend. so, instead of him having to pay for my things(clothes, food, car insurance, cars, parts etc) i paid that on my own, so he could focus on everything that was bad. and i chipped in.

most kids at my age now(19) live life partying, college, girls, just living the good life. while i bust my ass 5 days a week, 60+ hours a week, and yet, i enjoy my life just as much, seeing that everything i own, or have, is mine, in my name. and that is something nobody can take from you.

i call it pride.
this country needs people like you. you won't understand it because you're not educated, and from the way you're carrying on it's likely beyond your capacity to understand, and that's not your fault. if everyone was intelligent and driven enough to educate themselves and find well-paying, rewarding careers then who would be around to bust their knuckles for meager wages?

sincerely, i hope you are enjoying your life, but i can't take you seriously when you say it. if you were enjoying your life as much as you claim, then why the fuck are you so up in arms about this kid's prospect of getting a 45-50k car?

i agree with the consensus that no college kid should have a nice car; not only is it impractical, but it's dangerous, particularly considering putting a 19 year old in a 500+ hp car, but also with the prospect of what type of environment you're putting your kid in by making him the focal point for jealousy-induced acts of stupidity.

that being said, i see where your dad is coming from, but unless you end up going to like an ivy league school where you're competing with kids rolling up in rolls' and bentleys, or at least SOMEWHERE other than philly, i highly, highly recommend you seek another form of transportation. personally, if i was your dad, i would GLADLY reward you with a nice, comfortable, SAFE, volvo. or maybe i could be convinced into an acura, or at the very absolute top of the spectrum, a 135i.

what's wrong with a high-end tuner car like an evo or sti? e36 m3? supra, maybe? fuck dude, i don't see how you could go wrong with any of these, plus that gives you enough spare cash to make it your own.

imo, it will feel much better when you're in a position to truly enjoy the high-class car when you get it. just focus on school, and pick a field that shows promise and that you enjoy. if you decide to get your 'dream car' right now, imagine what people like the ones hating in here are going to say/do in person when they see you in it, or worse, when they don't see anyone around it???

Last edited by blackout; 02-11-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:03 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

If you love your daddy at all you'll be like, "Daddy I appreciate your proposal of allowing me to spend your hard earned money on my "Dream" car however daddy, I want to be responsible and concentrate on my schooling. Therefore, my "Dream" car daddy will just be a distraction to me, for I will always be worrying who parked beside it, who is going to key mark or ding the doors. Daddy I'll prove I am a very bright young lad and I'll graduate college with honors. Then daddy if you are impressed by my performance and feel you need to shower me in gifts as a graduation present, then daddy I will appreciate your gifts even more. Love your son."

Quick Reply: Help shoez Pick His Dream Car