Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
If that's the case they you need to leave your motor alone, sell what you just bought, and put your money into seat time and brake consumables. The motor you want to put in your car will add over 100lbs to the nose of the car, be a heat monster, and they like to chew up the rear belts in a road course environment.

Sure MTI in Atlanta road races their shop C6Z w/ a TVS on it, but that car gets constant trackside support and is a R&D car.
LS2 adding 100 hp over the LS1?

Motor is fully forged, dropped compression.

Already buying the links. When I pull everything, plan on shipping my trans over to tickshift. getting all those other goodies. Considering upgrading to the C6 diff, depends. I don't want to do the HPDE's to be competitive, rather just have fun.

No dyno queen - just a aggresive street machine.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Broham... NA LS1 to a built LS2 with a big fucking blower sitting on top and the intercooler up front and the reservoir = 100+ lbs added to the nose.

Nobody goes to HPDEs to "just have fun"... you'll do one then be wanting to build a track car. Even if you're going to "just have fun" your car won't last 30 minutes out there being driven at 70%... it'll overheat the oil/coolant, blower will heat soak, and you'll cook your brakes.

Figure out what you want to do with your car now... you can't have a street/show/track/daily driver... just isn't possible unless you have endless money and time or can pay a shop to keep the car up.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Broham... NA LS1 to a built LS2 with a big fucking blower sitting on top and the intercooler up front and the reservoir = 100+ lbs added to the nose.

Nobody goes to HPDEs to "just have fun"... you'll do one then be wanting to build a track car. Even if you're going to "just have fun" your car won't last 30 minutes out there being driven at 70%... it'll overheat the oil/coolant, blower will heat soak, and you'll cook your brakes.

Figure out what you want to do with your car now... you can't have a street/show/track/daily driver... just isn't possible unless you have endless money and time or can pay a shop to keep the car up.
As an FYI, once this bitch is done, its staying weekend fun car, picking up a C6Z in a year or two for a track car.

I already know what I want to do with the car, never considered show, although clean, all mods are going for go-fast/functionality and general cool factor. Honestly, negate the fact that I even said HPDE's

So is the LS9 plagued with all those problems you just cited? Mind you, I understand the brakes and what not. But the TVS is essentially based on the same eaton 4 lobe.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

^^ I agree 100% One HPDE and you'll be thinking about improving the suspension and detuning the car. For AutoX anything more than 400HP is going to be hard to drive.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

LS9 has an inverted blower setup with the intercoolers on top, piston oil squirters, very different cooling system, 11-rib belt with front drive (not a shaft setup with a rear bult like the TVS's have). LS9 is factory engineered to deal with a HPDE.

Not sure how much money you make/have and I don't care, but I suggest you try some track stuff first before you buy a car like a C6Z for a trackday car. Consumables will break the bank and the LS7s seem to have an oil starvation issue when run on stickey tires. GM revised the tank for the '09+ models to hole more oil. The serous track guys go to a ARE 3-stage dry-sump.

Not trying to bust your balls, but so many people say "yeah i want to get into track days" without having any idea of the costs associated with it. I could damn near have a ZR1 for all the money I spent on HPDE shit over the years on my Corvette. Stupid crap you never spent money on before becomes the norm and you have to replace it every few events etc. etc.

I'm going to PM you...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

Yeah, I spent $500 just to get my car home from VIR one weekend!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered member

LS9 has an inverted blower setup with the intercoolers on top, piston oil squirters, very different cooling system, 11-rib belt with front drive (not a shaft setup with a rear bult like the TVS's have). LS9 is factory engineered to deal with a HPDE.

Not sure how much money you make/have and I don't care, but I suggest you try some track stuff first before you buy a car like a C6Z for a trackday car. Consumables will break the bank and the LS7s seem to have an oil starvation issue when run on stickey tires. GM revised the tank for the '09+ models to hole more oil. The serous track guys go to a ARE 3-stage dry-sump.

Not trying to bust your balls, but so many people say "yeah i want to get into track days" without having any idea of the costs associated with it. I could damn near have a ZR1 for all the money I spent on HPDE shit over the years on my Corvette. Stupid crap you never spent money on before becomes the norm and you have to replace it every few events etc. etc.

I'm going to PM you...
Thanks on the heads up to the C6Z and yes, I've heard about the LS7's popping on the HPDE. I'm just having fun with what I enjoy.

Understandable on the on money you've spent on the car. Like I said, this isn't meant to be some huge street machine that going to do well at these things. You were a lot more competitive in it than I ever want to be - hence your red ford

I think theres a difference between going to an HPDE and being competive against others vs throwing down some laps and enjoying yourself, I want to do the latter and thats the ONLY reason I would do the HPDE. Frankly, if I was going SLOWER than guys with way less HP, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Lastly, talking to others, i'm fairly certain i'm set on the smaller blower. As an FYI, i know SEVERAL people who have 550+ rwhp DD's, some with stock bottom ends on their LS2's.

Is this retribution for the shit I gave you for buying a convertible?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Fanboi

I'm just being honest with you.... you slap a blower on that car and make 600 rwhp you will not make it through one HPDE session driving remotely hard. The car will need a radiator, oil cooler, brake coolers, and track-oriented pads at a minimum.

You'd have no issues DDing a 1000 rwhp car... when you're not in boost it's not making that kind of power... the point is that if you want to use the power then you're going to need to upgrade very aspect of the car.

Which begs the question of "why?" If you want a car that you can DD and fart around with on the weekend and you have no intentions of drag racing it or HPDEing it then why build a super high power car?

I'd love to slap a A&A kit on the red vert.... 550 rwhp! Cool noises! Woot! All for what? So I can have the belt flip off on a cross-country drive? So I can smoke clutches at $1000 a pop? So I can get to the bar faster?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered member

I'm just being honest with you.... you slap a blower on that car and make 600 rwhp you will not make it through one HPDE session driving remotely hard. The car will need a radiator, oil cooler, brake coolers, and track-oriented pads at a minimum.

You'd have no issues DDing a 1000 rwhp car... when you're not in boost it's not making that kind of power... the point is that if you want to use the power then you're going to need to upgrade very aspect of the car.

Which begs the question of "why?" If you want a car that you can DD and fart around with on the weekend and you have no intentions of drag racing it or HPDEing it then why build a super high power car?

I'd love to slap a A&A kit on the red vert.... 550 rwhp! Cool noises! Woot! All for what? So I can have the belt flip off on a cross-country drive? So I can smoke clutches at $1000 a pop? So I can get to the bar faster?
You are my rain. Check your pm's sucka
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Depends on the car. I daily my 500whp Cobra and have no issued

Quick Reply: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?