Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost
Default Re: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

I hate the PD blower 'fad' that has come over to GM. I'm glad they're great on Fords, but they are heat pumps on our cars. The exception is the old guy that babies the car around and only pulls on it once when he takes it out. There are a few others, but as noted, the centrifugals are easier on the driveline and don't get the heat fatigue of a PD style blower. 700-800rwhp can be made extremely manageable with them as well when compared to the PD setups.

600rwhp is easy to make on the stock bottom end even and can live for a very long time when the tune is good (I have several dozen stock bottom end cars in the mid to low 600s, and I mean LS1s and 6's)... look at the vette in the pic on the front of my own site: http://www.tunedbyfrost.com

Real $$$ comes in when you want to make over 700. The cost of the jump from mid 6s to 7s is HUGE. My own TA was very manageable in what would be the mid 700s, but even then, much of it is up to the setup and calibration.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

^ Any experience w/ the new TVSs w/ the 4 rotor setup? Supposedly they're more efficient and don't heat up as bad or as rapidly as the older designs.

GM has managed to make the ZR1 work... originally they were considering twin turbos for the car, but were able to meet all their engineering goals w/ the new TVS setup... allbeit with the blower in the valley/intercooler on top config.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by RandomTask
I think theres a difference between going to an HPDE and being competive against others vs throwing down some laps and enjoying yourself, I want to do the latter and thats the ONLY reason I would do the HPDE.
I would like to see how long this lasts after you do a few events

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Frankly, if I was going SLOWER than guys with way less HP, I'd be perfectly fine with that.
Good, because that will happen...quite a bit.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
Good, because that will happen...quite a bit.
No it won't.... a 1000 horse vette will get such a lead on the back straight no amount of good driving in your "momentum" car will make up for it
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ Any experience w/ the new TVSs w/ the 4 rotor setup? Supposedly they're more efficient and don't heat up as bad or as rapidly as the older designs.

GM has managed to make the ZR1 work... originally they were considering twin turbos for the car, but were able to meet all their engineering goals w/ the new TVS setup... allbeit with the blower in the valley/intercooler on top config.

Just one TVS so far and it was in a swap and tuned on the street (in NC, not here or it would have gone on the dyno). They still get warmer than centris, though it looked to be a shade better than the previous PD setups. The ZR1 blower is nearly maxed the way it ships on the car. It gets nasty hot going up much quickly. It's enough for the way the car ships, but they didn't leave much room at all for going up on the unit.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Fanboi

Browsing the ZR-1 forum it seems the guys are getting 700+ rwhp w/ a pulley swap, larger heat exchanger, LPE blower snout etc. Seems the limiting factor is the section of the intercooler on top fo the motor.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 AM
the baddest assed

MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE

what you need is a TTI stage x kit I have one with fresh upgraded turbos and 90% of the rest of the kit. Its short a couple clamps and oil lines. Make me an offer. I can work with you to complete the kit after deposit if you need help.

this is the best thing you can do to a c5.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM
zOMG street racers!!

IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S IEAT50S

I'll throw my input here since I am selling a car that I put a lot of time and money into at a loss (suprise suprise). Honestly I wouldn't ever go overboard crazy modding a car like that again. I have 2001 z06 with a cold air intake. I plan on doing full exhaust and replacing the clutch with an LS7 unit and maybe a diff/gears eventually but that is the extent I will go. I do not want to do anything I cannot easily reverse. The z06 while slower than my trans am is a lot more fun to drive. Its more comfortable etc. The trans am will whip its ass but I can actually stand to drive the z06 on a regular basis as compared to the trans am.

To each is own but honestly what good is a 1000hp car? I looked at doing a build like that some time ago and after being in and around a few 700hp+ cars it starts to become a waste. The cars burn the tires off at upto 120mph..that may look cool but your not really going faster. You just have a big burn out machine...unless of course your rocking some massive tires. But hey its all in what you can put up with and enjoy. My trans am has a fairly large cam in it and a good tune so it doesn't surge but man it gets annoying going down the highway at 65-70mph at 3500rpms with a th400.

To each his own I suppose...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
what you need is a TTI stage x kit I have one with fresh upgraded turbos and 90% of the rest of the kit. Its short a couple clamps and oil lines. Make me an offer. I can work with you to complete the kit after deposit if you need help.

this is the best thing you can do to a c5.
Oh I bet. PM sent. No-one wants to sell me the TVS1900. When I talk to them about it? "Why would you want that? Just get the 2300"
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

I'll let you know when i get it tuned. 550RWHP is enough for me on the skreets,

Quick Reply: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?