Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

holset hx35

Old 02-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crznx2000 has disabled reputation
Default Re: holset hx35

i dunno, the dsm guys run hx40s and more. hard to say for sure untill ive got it on the car, not many people out there doing it. the one video ive seen though shows promise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlKfo...-holset-2.html
Old 02-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Impulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these parts

what about twins?

and lol I know that car! he blew a few motors sucking in that screen through the turbo and still hasnt learned his lesson
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

my biggest annoyance is traction, being fwd....im hoping to help combat this problem WITH a slightly laggy turbo.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

AHAHAHA. well, im not running an open turbine like that, but i have heard of even regular filters collapsing. ill get something good.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

you mean twin turbos? no where to put em, lol.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by crznx2000
my biggest annoyance is traction, being fwd....im hoping to help combat this problem WITH a slightly laggy turbo.
There are much better ways to fix that than by making a poor turbo choice to add lag. I guess your way is the cheapest though.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

i simply want to try something out thats been proven to work with the dsm guys pretty well. as far as cheap goes......ok, maybe it is. thats not the motivation, i wouldnt say its a poor choice, its seemed to work pretty well on other COMPLETED cars. i guess my comment did sound dumb, im not going out of my way to HAVE a laggy turbo to get traction, im just not losing sleep over having lag, if that makes sense. i have other turbos for driving the car on the street, i just want to try out a holset, to see if its garbage or if it works well. im guessing most people who have used them didnt use much boost, which WOULD be the biggest issue i can think of. its in its efficientcy range above 20 psi, which is going to be high on most 4cyl.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Impulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these partsImpulsed7 is infamous around these parts

I say stroke it, keep the same turbo, and spend the money on a differnt suspension setup, or diff...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by crznx2000
its in its efficientcy range above 20 psi, which is going to be high on most 4cyl.
I just deleted the reply I was going to post. I'm going to be more brief this time.

I would caution you against making blanket statements about efficiency vs boost pressure, because that says nothing about what the flow is. That turbo MAY be efficient above 20 PSI on some engines and not on many others, because off the differences in flow.. I guess the part that got me was "on most 4cyl", because then I know you aren't talking about a specific engine (or engine size, etc). Put that Holset on a V8, and it's going to be at a completely different efficiency at 20PSI than on a D16Z6 or something like that.

If I told you Integras make the most power at 63 MPH, that would be pretty much the same thing. Not enough information, and you can't make a connection between speed and max power without knowing that information.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I just deleted the reply I was going to post. I'm going to be more brief this time.

I would caution you against making blanket statements about efficiency vs boost pressure, because that says nothing about what the flow is. That turbo MAY be efficient above 20 PSI on some engines and not on many others, because off the differences in flow.. I guess the part that got me was "on most 4cyl", because then I know you aren't talking about a specific engine (or engine size, etc). Put that Holset on a V8, and it's going to be at a completely different efficiency at 20PSI than on a D16Z6 or something like that.

If I told you Integras make the most power at 63 MPH, that would be pretty much the same thing. Not enough information, and you can't make a connection between speed and max power without knowing that information.
ok, fair enough. based on dsm numbers/setups ive seen, and using the 4g63 as a a comparison to a sr20de, im going by what the dsm guys have reported. ill be honest im not good at reading turbo maps, but i DO know the 4g63 is supposed to flow the smae as a sr20....ok, thats probably coming out as giberish, but im exausted right now. simply put, anything done on a dsm can be done the same way on a sr with the same results, or very close to. THEREFORE, based on this, and what holsets on dsms have produced, ill be getting essentially a laggy gt30. yeah, i can hear the hate already. doesnet really matter, the diffrence here is that it will be on the car this weekend (well, if i can GET one quick enough, might take a few days longer) and ill just get dyno readouts for comparison. can debate it till im blue in the face, i really wont know untill ive tried it. my current research, with the turbo on a SR20DET says its just as good as a gt30. power, flow, spool, ect. maybe better power. it IS a twin scroll turbo too, and rebuildable. making it in my opinion, WAY better than a gt series turbo, one of the main reasons ive always avoided them.

Quick Reply: holset hx35