Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Instructions on painting a car

Old 11-21-2005 | 04:05 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Instructions on painting a car

Originally Posted by 88 Si Y8 Crix
How much would you charge...to spray...etc...if i did all prep work?

if you do ALL the prep work? Hundred bucks?
Old 11-21-2005 | 04:08 PM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take it to Maaco or Earl Sheib, it will come out better than if you do it from info you get on the internet AND COST LESS
Old 11-21-2005 | 04:16 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

in my opinion.6-8 hours is a little much for base coat dry time. no need to wait that long, your paint should have a flash time of 10-15 minutes if its kept at a certain temperature, it will be tack clothable by then and clear can be applied right after that, if it still seems tacky then wait a little longer, only reason i see waiting 6 or more hours is to wetsand the base and rebase if needed if your sprayed in a real dirty environment.. now if you want the hot bizz paint job you will make sure the base is clean and then lay 2 coats of clear, wait at least 12-15 hours if you dont have a nicely heated area and then wetsand the clear with 1500 or lightly with a grey scotchbrite pad to get any crap out and re clear with another 2 coats.....but thats just the way i do. other people have other techniques.

and if its your first time painting, you might want to practice for 2 months before painting anything important. cause otherwise your shit is gonna be zebra striped and runs everywhere.
Old 11-21-2005 | 04:21 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by non-vtecpower
Spray paint? You should just paint it with a paint brush.
Gay
Old 11-21-2005 | 04:23 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
and if its your first time painting, you might want to practice for 2 months before painting anything important. cause otherwise your shit is gonna be zebra striped and runs everywhere.
True, if I had a dollar for everytime I saw a "rookie" zebra stripe the shit out of a car, I'd be rich.
Old 11-21-2005 | 04:29 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by XCELR8
True, if I had a dollar for everytime I saw a "rookie" zebra stripe the shit out of a car, I'd be rich.
everyone does it when they first start, but hey, thats why its called practice and having to learn ya know, and not checking spray pattern against a surface is a mistake too, need to check and make sure the pattern is coming out even with out gaps.