Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Intercooler questions...

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:11 PM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey
Default Re: Intercooler questions...

I say you've spent good money on excellent parts so far why cheap out on the intercooler? Buy a nice one.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:14 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
How much power was the Evo making though? If you're talking about a 23whp loss and the car was making only 220 that is a big deal, what percentage was the loss, if it is the AMS Evo making ~750whp that is still a large loss, but nothing in comparison to >10% loss.

Obviously you get what you pay for, but if someone is aiming for 3-400whp on a budget and making 320 instead of making 335 is not that big of a deal....in my opinion at least. Not if it means saving 200+ dollars.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
I say you've spent good money on excellent parts so far why cheap out on the intercooler? Buy a nice one.
Also a good point.

If it comes down to it. I may buy a ebay. Dave is helping me out.

Fag. I have a budget, but I'm not trying to really cheap out on important stuff.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:18 PM
braap braap

Anyone know where I can buy PWR intercoolers?
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It is worth buying a good brand, yes. Most of what you're paying for is the core, and a cheap core will give crap performance. Don't buy an eBay special if you're serious about performance, because you'll be getting a unit that isn't serious about performance or quality. I'm not saying that you should break the bank, just that you should get something of reputable quality.
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:24 PM
braap braap

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It is worth buying a good brand, yes. Most of what you're paying for is the core, and a cheap core will give crap performance. Don't buy an eBay special if you're serious about performance, because you'll be getting a unit that isn't serious about performance or quality. I'm not saying that you should break the bank, just that you should get something of reputable quality.
After pricing PWRs, I think thats a little over my budget.

Precision I guess it is. Anyone else have a budget, but good intercooler?
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:24 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Anyone know where I can buy PWR intercoolers?
http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/pwrinas.html

Yes, they cost more then your car's blue book value . *the original cost before anyone says anything*
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:28 PM
braap braap

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/pwrinas.html

Yes, they cost more then your car's blue book value . *the original cost before anyone says anything*
So does...

A) My transmission.
B) My seats.
C) My gauge setup.
D) My EMS
E) My brakes
F) My wheels
G) My suspension
H) My ported head

Need I go on?
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:18 PM
Registered Member

nissanfanatic has disabled reputation

I run an ebay intercooler. I bought it from "delubozparts" IIRC..

Another test that was done is IAT comparison between some of the more commonly known intercooler brands (Greddy, Blitz, and I think someone may have even had an HKS). The Ebay intercooler did just as well as the rest. It was done on freshalloy. A lot of the guys on there run them. Plenty of them are over 400whp on stock internals just as I am.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:25 PM
Kimchee Wiggler

Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed

Precision Intercoolers all the way! They are Garrett Bar and Plate cores with Precision cast end tanks welded on. I would suggest their AS1025 600hp IC , I sell em for $415 shipped normally, since you are local and bought from me in the past Jarrod I will give you a better deal man

I can also get those PWRs above, I still recommend the Precision. I wouldn't mess with that EBAY junk.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:55 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The bad part about the ebay stuff is that you really don't know what you're getting. You don't know where the core came from usually, or if it's the same core that your buddy bought last week when he got the same intercooler, etc. I'm not much of a gambler when it comes to stuff like this. Getting a cheap intercooler is false economy if you don't even get something that's worth the low price. I'm sure you can get some good stuff once in a while, but you never really know what you're getting..

Quick Reply: Intercooler questions...