Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Learn from my mistake... the Panoz fell off the trailer today!

Old 07-09-2008 | 06:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Learn from my mistake... the Panoz fell off the trailer today!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ You never want to traler in gear. Transmissions are splash lubricated, when you're not moving the oil isn't getting spread around. When you have the trans in gear you have two gear faces touching w/o any fluid being moved around.
But the gears aren't really moving, and you're not really putting any power into them, so you they don't really need any lubrication.

The problem is the shock loading, you have the whole weight of the car bouncing around, turning and twisting the axles as the suspension moves, the tires flex, straps stretch, etc. With the tranny engaged, something in the tranny has to resist the forces being put into it through the axles, because everything inside isn't free to move (if it did, the car would roll when the tranny is in gear and clutch engaged obviously). So shafts have to deflect or twist, and bearings have to deflect, and the case deflects, etc.
So lubrication film is the least of your worries, the instantaneous forces are pretty big but short and fast, so the average power is low.

Think of this as quickly hitting a nail with a hammer vs. pushing on the nail with the hammer. One of those makes the nail go into the wall..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-09-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:13 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
But the gears aren't really moving, and you're not really putting any power into them, so you they don't really need any lubrication.

The problem is the shock loading, you have the whole weight of the car bouncing around, turning and twisting the axles as the suspension moves, the tires flex, straps stretch, etc. With the tranny engaged, something in the tranny has to resist the forces being put into it through the axles, because everything inside isn't free to move (if it did, the car would roll when the tranny is in gear and clutch engaged obviously). So shafts have to deflect or twist, and bearings have to deflect, and the case deflects, etc.
So lubrication film is the least of your worries, the instantaneous forces are pretty big but short and fast, so the average power is low.

Think of this as quickly hitting a nail with a hammer vs. pushing on the nail with the hammer. One of those makes the nail go into the wall..
so this being a race car, obviously its tranny is babied throughout the race so putting it in gear to help save it from falling the fuck off a trailer is too much wear and tear on it....lmao...news to me and about 99%of other racers in this world...
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:18 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus
I've left every manual I've ever had in gear when parked and that has yet to have caused a problem.
I leave my cars in gear when parket too, but parkeed and on a trailer are very different things.
Originally Posted by nftuatn
so this being a race car, obviously its tranny is babied throughout the race so putting it in gear to help save it from falling the fuck off a trailer is too much wear and tear on it....lmao...news to me and about 99%of other racers in this world...
Every racer I talk to town in neutral... all the guys I meet at VIR, CMP, RA, etc. Theres a large difference between the car being raced and the lubrication system working properly and the car stationary rolling back and forth and getting jostled around.
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:20 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

i just take the tranny out and use it as a block behind the rear tires
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:24 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

^ Damn good idea
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:25 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

rolling back and forth???????only when you leave the damn strap loose....the car cant and will not move if all the straps are tight....weather you strap it down using the suspension or the body...the only thing that your putting wear and tear on is the universals in the driveshaft...if that...with the up and down motion...the cars wheels are not moving at all(unless comes loose from trailer) if anything your prematurely wearing out your shocks/springs....no different than getting in and out of you car every time...suspension goes down a tiny bit on one side....damn sure doesnt make the car move...
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:26 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

[Q
and the car stationary rolling back and forth and getting jostled around.[/QUOTE]

well if it was stationary it would not be rolling back and forth...
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:27 PM
Fanboi

Ok... youre entitled to your opinion, but Ill go based on the advice of every longtime road racer Ive ever spoken with.

Youre right... I left the car too loose today because I rushed loading the car in the rain. Im getting straps with snap-rings for an extra measure of insurance.
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:51 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

ya thanks for strapping mine tight that day.
Old 07-09-2008 | 08:07 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

God damn! That's incredible that you made out unscathed! Glad all is well!