Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

A little brake pad chat anyone?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 AM
I Love to Hate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well
Default Re: A little brake pad chat anyone?

i went up and talked with Vern at beach bap geon. he HIGHLY recommended Akebono ceramic pads. Least dust, cooler temps and oe breaking quality.

Has anyone had personal experience with Akebono?

Akebonobrakes.com
Old 02-16-2010, 05:44 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

ive heard of accubono(i think thats the spelling) and we dont use them at our work. we sell semi ceramic pads with out brake jobs, and never hear about excess noise/ dust build up.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 AM
I Love to Hate

Originally Posted by 93sr-5ftw
ive heard of accubono(i think thats the spelling) and we dont use them at our work. we sell semi ceramic pads with out brake jobs, and never hear about excess noise/ dust build up.
its definately akebono (akebonobrakes.com)

As far as the brake dust thing, this is coming from me Grant, someone whos is ocd about everything.

Last edited by B-Well; 02-16-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Phil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these parts

On the topic of brake pads. I have a question.

I was driving down 95 coming back up north from stafford, I start to hear a loud squeeling noise like metal on metal, (Brake pad wear indicator rubbing on rotor) So i pull over not knowing what it was and i put water on my rotors and it instantly steams.. So i'm like wow that's pretty hot.. Not sure why but hmm. Anyways i drive home park my car next day rolls around. I go outside take my wheels off and on the left side, there's no pad and a HOLE where the stud would go to hold the pad to the plate thing. But on the right side the pads are like brand new.. I took both calipers apart, cleaned and lubed the pistons etc and put it all back together and it's doing the same thing again, Getting really hot on the left side. What could cause this?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 AM
I Love to Hate

Originally Posted by Phil703

I was driving down 95 coming back up north from stafford, I start to hear a loud squeeling noise like metal on metal, (Brake pad wear indicator rubbing on rotor) So i pull over not knowing what it was and i put water on my rotors and it instantly steams.. So i'm like wow that's pretty hot.. Not sure why but hmm. Anyways i drive home park my car next day rolls around. I go outside take my wheels off and on the left side, there's no pad and a HOLE where the stud would go to hold the pad to the plate thing. But on the right side the pads are like brand new.. I took both calipers apart, cleaned and lubed the pistons etc and put it all back together and it's doing the same thing again, Getting really hot on the left side. What could cause this?
rotors get hot. lol.

anyway, there may be something in your fluid (dirt/grit/grime) or air bubbles.

what vehicle?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:14 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Congratulations on quenching your rotors, if they haven't cracked/warped yet they're more likely to in the future. You should get new rotors ASAP.

The noise was most likely what you said: the wear level indicator for the pad, get new pads while you're getting new rotors. Brakes are supposed to get hot, there's no need to dump water on them to cool them off.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

lulz..your brakes are fucked now. fyi brakes work by friction (pads on rotor) which causes heat. hot metal plus water = epic fail.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Gettin it!!!

2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya 2fast4ya

Originally Posted by B-Well
i went up and talked with Vern at beach bap geon. he HIGHLY recommended Akebono ceramic pads. Least dust, cooler temps and oe breaking quality.

Has anyone had personal experience with Akebono?

Akebonobrakes.com
I would give Akebono street performance pads a try if you can get your hands on them. great pad when cold and phenominal once they heated up. Had them on my old S14 got them as a sample when we started carrying them at the old job. Almost no dust and great braking can't ask for more.

Even the regular akebono's are great for DD.

Last edited by 2fast4ya; 02-16-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

the hawk hps pads im running give off very little brake dust, and i like to get them hot from time to time, and they were only $60 which was only like 12-15 more than the duralast gold's from autozone.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Phil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these partsPhil703 is infamous around these parts

Well i have drilled rotors on them now, i only poured water on the old warn rotors. But are they supposed to get hot enough to where it smells like brakes burning?

Quick Reply: A little brake pad chat anyone?